Pellet protein percentage?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No Acre Farm

Reaction score
How much of a difference (good or bad)does the 18% pellet make in growth of babies and maintenance of nursing does? I've started with a 16% pellet per Bob Bennet's book, but I can get the 18% in a brand I already know I like for other livestock. Just wanting to know if it makes enough of a difference to keep the two different types, or if anyone notices diarrhea issues on the 18%. Right now I'm free feeding my weanling doe, and feeding 1 cup of pellets to the older doe and buck in the evening, and everyone has hay pretty much all the time. Thanks in advance!

I read that with 18 percent you get faster grow out but more cases of enteritis and thats why i use 16 percent.

interesting. I bought 100 pounds of the 18% when I set up my rabbitry, it was the same price as the 16% so it seemed like a no- brainer to me. My bunnies get grass hay and greens, too. They are crazy about hay! I think the hay helps balance their diet and reduce stomach/ digestive track problems. But in retrospect I am now contemplating using the 18% only for nursing mama's and growing kits, and feeding the 16% to my buck and non-lactating does.

If they are eating a fair percentage of grass hay and greens along with their 18% pellets, their overall intake is likely around 16% anyway. Grass hay and greens are great for rabbits, but they do lower the protein percentage of the overall intake.

I stay with the 18 percent . like maggies says. Feeding other stuff brings the percentage down. So if you feeding the 16 percent after feeds hay ect. You are lookin at 14 percent. I would give the bucks same as the does and young ones. They do better on it as well. Just measure there food so they dont get fat. THis is what i do . I works out great.

Latest posts

Back