Pasteurella Life Cycle

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicrose8

Reaction score
I have snuffles wiping out my herd and I have been doing a lot of cleaning, hand sanitizing, and culling.

I haven't been able to find any information via google on the life cycle of pasteurella.

Here are the things that I have done. At the first sign of snuffles, I culled the first sneezer, took all of the bunnies out of the barn and their normal cages and bleached everything, washed it down, put everyone back in cages. Since then, I have been watching for about 10 minutes twice a day for any rabbits that have runny noses, wiping noses a lot with their front feet, or wet front feet. If I see any of those behaviors they are immediately culled. I then wipe down that cage with a mild bleach solution and remove water bottles from barn and dunk in a bleach solution.

But my real question is how many days do I have to go without any bunnies crossing the rainbow bridge before I can consider myself rid of this snuffles outbreak? I guess I'm a crummy farmer because this is so stressful!

Did you confirm pasteurella or only guessing? Did you rule out dust, allergies or other pollutants?

sorry to disappoint...but snuffles is an on-going watch.

You minimize, defeat, cull, and then sometimes out of the blue.... one will snot or sneeze.

Be tough and be diligent.

Breed for resistance and you'll get there. :)

Hello nicrose8,
I am very sorry to hear of tour problem.
Please take this information seriously.
I have been in your spot many years ago,
it is a HORROR show! DO NOT try to clean,
cure or keep any animal that shows any
sign of illness. When I was in your position
I had to put down one third to half of my herd
before I started heading toward my goal!
After things began to improve is when I decided
to breed toward disease resistance! IT WORKS!
But it takes intense attention to the health of
each and every member of your herd. I CULLED
any animal that showed any signs of weakness,
This leads to making many difficult decisions,
but if you are not intense in your culling
you will NEVER get your head above water!
I continue to be observant, but have not in more
years than I can count had any disease show up in my herd!
I wish you great luck in combating this problem that has
come into your herd!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

But my real question is how many days do I have to go without any bunnies crossing the rainbow bridge before I can consider myself rid of this snuffles outbreak? I guess I'm a crummy farmer because this is so stressful!
many believe the bacteria will secretly hide in all your rabbits but only show up as snot in those that are stressed and/or with weaker immune systems.

So, like OtterSatin said, stop cleaning and just cull (or quarantine to see if the discharge turns white) anyone who show symptoms until you are just left with rabbits who seem to be immune. Breed these and watch for disease in the kits and cull any that get snot and breed these etc..., by the 3rd generation you stock should have a better immune system for the stain of P they had, but this doesn't mean they will be immune to another version so you must always be vigant about introducing rabbits to the property or that visitors are clean before they come in.

I agree that culling for a strong immune system is the way to deal with this. Other diseases also cause white snot, such as bordetella. However, bordetella and Pasteurella are often present in the same rabbit, and those with bordetella are more predisposed to "P".

http://www.vetstream.com/lapis/Content/ ... e00333.asp

Even if it is bordetella, I would follow the same culling protocol, since susceptibility to any disease is not something I want in my herd.

Pasteurella itself lives less than 24 hours outside of the host. Good sanitation is important, of course, but the fact that it has such a short life outside of the host was very encouraging to me.

nicrose8":o6zu4qhv said:
I haven't been able to find any information via google on the life cycle of pasteurella.

This has good information:

technical-sheet-re-pasteurella-multicoda-t15511.html

I would try to get my hands on some vadodine for when you are cleaning . I picked up a new batch at convention (it's $15 for a small bottle of concentrate) and it's like only 2 tsps or something per gallon of water . It sold out quickly at convention. It is some powerful stuff , but now I keep the bottle ready when I'm cleaning cages,carriers,etc. seems to help "lift" some of the calcium deposits in the trays. It has multiple good uses.

Thanks for all the help and feedback. I will head to the feed store today to pick up an iodine solution (I tried to get vanodine and I guess they aren't selling it in the US anymore).

At what point would you guys cull? First sneeze? White goop? After sleeping on it, I worry that I might be too harsh in my culling protocol given all the chemicals I've been using. The kits I put in the cull list yesterday ended up in quarantine since my husband didn't have time to cull yesterday. I looked at them today and saw no sneezing, wheezing, cleaning, or runny noses.

I owe you guys another thanks for giving me the silver lining. If any of my rabbits are left after this (my seniors and 2 litters seem unaffected thus far, fingers crossed), I will be left with a better herd than I started with!

I would quarantine at first sign as gobs of mucous will have a lot more bacteria than just air particulates and could beat down a healthy animal causing them to succumb.

They would stay in there until they got worse and were culled or got better and returned after they are discharge free for awhile, how long depends on how bad they got it
- if sneezing but no white snot then after a week
- if sneezing and eye boogies then after 2 weeks
- if snot for a day or two then after 3 weeks
- if snot for more than two days I would cull.

If anyone got sick again I would cull and not do another round of quarantine.

Sneezing... isolate immediately unless I know why .. some rabbits are silly and face dive pellets and hay etc, or snort up some water (yes tis possible even from water bottles).

Weepy eye - isolate and watch. if raising kits - watch the kits closely if they get nestbox eye mom is terminated at three weeks and kits will be sold as pets or go for food. kits that don't MIGHT be held back if needed or will be let go to breeding homes.

Snot: terminal cull immediately. I've learned not to mess around with this.

Following this protocol has led me to need to cull less than 1% of my herd for health reasons (of any sort) every year.

ladysown":34smym84 said:
Sneezing... isolate immediately unless I know why .. some rabbits are silly and face dive pellets and hay etc, or snort up some water (yes tis possible even from water bottles).

Weepy eye - isolate and watch. if raising kits - watch the kits closely if they get nestbox eye mom is terminated at three weeks and kits will be sold as pets or go for food. kits that don't MIGHT be held back if needed or will be let go to breeding homes.

Snot: terminal cull immediately. I've learned not to mess around with this.

Following this protocol has led me to need to cull less than 1% of my herd for health reasons (of any sort) every year.
:yeahthat:

This is what I do as well.

Back