On a facebook group

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayna

Reaction score
Someone is claiming her doe always kindles at 42 days and she said she sold one that always kindles at 48 days?

How is this possible. It doesn't seem possible.

Is there any science I can look at to either understand it or show its not true?

I had a doe kindle on day 41, two alive, one survived. Another member had a doe kindle on day 42, all alive.

I have my doubts that there would be a doe out there that always kindles that late... and I find it very hard to believe at 48 days.

No science, though... maybe someone else can come in with that.

I'm not sure if any rabbit specific science and I have had cases of animals with repeated odd gestation periods. 48 days is far over the maximum of what anyone has reported. The potential for error coming up with the due date is pretty high. Practically everyone messes up a due date at some point and some aren't so good at record keeping. Oddities do happen though. In both directions. I've had animals who gave birth at the extreme end from their due date with normal offspring and animals who gave birth right on the average day with too large or underdeveloped offspring.

The ones who are getting kits in the 41-48 day range... do they use test breeding to "verify" pregnancy??

so-- why would anyone continue to breed a rabbit with such obvious defects??? and again why would someone keep "breed stock" from a "defective" rabbit - I would seriously doubt the competence, practical experience, and veracity of this kind of "rabbit breeder"

over the years I have heard a lot of wild claims, but-- never could verify any of this sort, especially claims made by people with such an obvious lack of judgment .

Bad Habit":3gx1q0v5 said:
The ones who are getting kits in the 41-48 day range... do they use test breeding to "verify" pregnancy??
DING DING DING we have a winner! That's exactly what I was thinking. :p

Only thing Fake book is good for is picking up Bots...just scraped 50 off my wife's PC!!! :geek: :angry:

michaels4gardens":3hhssz6k said:
so-- why would anyone continue to breed a rabbit with such obvious defects??? and again why would someone keep "breed stock" from a "defective" rabbit -
I'm with you on this, M4G. Even if we give a very generous benefit of the doubt & accept it's true, why would you WANT an animal who is out of productivity for so long? Maybe that's the question to ask the poster--why would you tolerate (and genetically perpetuate) this?

Homer":3hhssz6k said:
Re: On a facebook group
by Homer » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:07 am
Bad Habit wrote:

DING DING DING we have a winner! That's exactly what I was thinking
Now that actually makes sense. That might be the question to ask.

michaels4gardens":2fh1mf0e said:
so-- why would anyone continue to breed a rabbit with such obvious defects??? and again why would someone keep "breed stock" from a "defective" rabbit - I would seriously doubt the competence, practical experience, and veracity of this kind of "rabbit breeder"

over the years I have heard a lot of wild claims, but-- never could verify any of this sort, especially claims made by people with such an obvious lack of judgment .

:yeahthat:
My own thoughts on the subject are almost identical. I can't think of anyone who would seek out a breeder with such rabbits and introduce their genes into their own herds..

I'm not looking at getting rabbits from this person, and I have no idea what they do with the offspring. I was just curious after I read it.

And facebook is the only way I'm able to keep in touch with many family members and friends who are on such different time zones and countries than me.

dayna":3m5xva19 said:
I'm not looking at getting rabbits from this person, and I have no idea what they do with the offspring. I was just curious after I read it.

And facebook is the only way I'm able to keep in touch with many family members and friends who are on such different time zones and countries than me.

I don't think anyone was judging you for any of those things. Just folks letting you know that facebook is full of :cow:
4F4.gif
. Which unfortunately it is. It isn't a trustworthy source of any sort of information outside how the folks/friends are doing. No one is judging you on this person's poor breeding practices, if what they said is true they should have culled that doe the moment they noticed the pattern instead of continuing to breed that doe and her offspring and mentioning it as if it was normal (if it's true, it's not normal and as other's have said past 42 days you can expect no kits or dead kits). To see more than one person claiming it, my theory is the breeders are simply exaggerating (and getting into a pissing match, "my does take that long too/longer"). The doe likely is still late frequently just not THAT late or yes test breedings could also be to blame for the fudged time.

Sali":2nepbnt2 said:
or yes test breedings could also be to blame for the fudged time.
Okay, I finally get this. Someone breeds a doe and writes that date down, then they "test breed" two weeks later because they've been told the doe won't breed if she's pregnant -- when some won't, but some will. If the doe doesn't get pregnant the first time, but does during the "test breed", ta-da you have a 45-day gestation. Except not really. They just didn't notice a successful breeding the second time.

Thank you!

dayna":2nepbnt2 said:
That's mainly what we use it for, ourselves. :) But Sali's right, they weren't criticizing your being on FB, just talking about the loons they've seen. I'm on the Meat Rabbits group, and some of the stuff people say on there just makes my eyes roll back into my head. :roll:

Miss M":ugq033w5 said:
Sali":ugq033w5 said:
or yes test breedings could also be to blame for the fudged time.
Okay, I finally get this. Someone breeds a doe and writes that date down, then they "test breed" two weeks later because they've been told the doe won't breed if she's pregnant -- when some won't, but some will. If the doe doesn't get pregnant the first time, but does during the "test breed", ta-da you have a 45-day gestation. Except not really. They just didn't notice a successful breeding the second time.

Thank you!

dayna":ugq033w5 said:
That's mainly what we use it for, ourselves. :) But Sali's right, they weren't criticizing your being on FB, just talking about the loons they've seen. I'm on the Meat Rabbits group, and some of the stuff people say on there just makes my eyes roll back into my head. :roll:

the meat rabbits group is I think where I saw that gestation period!

I do not find facebook to be any less accurate than forums. You have some better groups than others and you have some more knowledgeable people than others on both. This forum is pretty small with a high ratio of experienced or well researched members compared to average. I just walked away from a thread on a the only fish forum I've stuck with because it really wasn't worth attempting to talk to the person making crazy claims and because of them providing care that was not even really humane to the species they had bought without doing any research.

I do think you get a few more comments without reading the previous comments on facebook versus a forum which leads to an appearance of more stupid people when it's really just all the people who decide not to speak up when other members (probably with higher post counts) post conflicting info to their misinformation. I actually prefer facebook groups to forums when it comes to many topics. I find people tend to be more open minded and accepting which I think is because there is a wider variety of backgrounds and viewpoints coming together in some places than those who look up a specific forum.

Ok. I'm going to take another stand on this. :twisted:

If the breeder has selectively bred for ridiculously long gestation then I could see it happening. If they spent several years working towards that goal. But can't see the logic behind having does that take longer to produce viable kits. But haven't seen any scientific evidence for one side or the other.

Just a thought,
Cathy

wamplercathy":3fd5u5po said:
Ok. I'm going to take another stand on this. :twisted:

If the breeder has selectively bred for ridiculously long gestation then I could see it happening. If they spent several years working towards that goal. But can't see the logic behind having does that take longer to produce viable kits. But haven't seen any scientific evidence for one side or the other.

Just a thought,
Cathy
Yes, I imagine it is possible to develop a line of rabbits with long gestations.

But like you said, why would you want to do so?

akane":3fd5u5po said:
I do think you get a few more comments without reading the previous comments on facebook versus a forum which leads to an appearance of more stupid people
Also, Facebook started something within the last year that's really strange... you'll see a post and it will appear to have no replies. Or you'll see some replies, but only the most recent ones. And there is no indication that it has any previous replies. Maybe they've fixed or changed that now, but it was very strange there for quite a while.

A Plant ID group I was a member of would get all twisted up because people were posting the same answers on things. But how can you tell that anyone else has said it, when you can't see all the replies?

alforddm":catwgkpr said:
Yes, I imagine it is possible to develop a line of rabbits with long gestations.

But like you said, why would you want to do so?

To have the kits better developed when they are born? That just seems like it would be hard on the doe to me.
I would think so, too. :(

Latest posts

Back