Old wives tale or fact

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiny Buns

Reaction score
Is it true that kits ears grow shorter on winter and longer in summer? Therefore if you want short Netherland ears it's better to breed in the dead of winter (reason being rabbits perspire through their ears and need less surface area in winter so small ears and sweat more in summer needing bigger surface area so bigger ears). It sounds plausible but that's what makes a great old wives tale: the plausibility factor.

That would not explain the big differences in ear size I got in the last litter, also it wouldn't make much sense since they'll still need their ears in summer.

Schnee1.jpg
Schnee2.jpg

And there are big differences in breeds, so it's obviously genetical.

I vote for old wives tale :)

I have a couple of breeder friends that SWEAR by this saying that winter brings smaller ears and summer equals bigger.

I have all sizes of ears on the same litter, winter or summer, so I vote genetics but thought I'd see if others feel there's something to it.

3mina":l0kh023p said:
Ear size is genetic but there is a theory that the ears reach full size faster in summer.

This is what I have heard as well. The end result is the same regardless of season, but some say that the ears grow faster when it is hot. We haven't necessarily noticed a difference in ear length that correlates with the season.

That ears are coincidence, my rabbits are of very mixed heritage, so some surprising traits pop up now and then. With my black doe I had always quite colourful litters.

I hope ear size isn't that big factor in summer, didn't think about that when keeping a breeding doe from last year :? :
Weissgraue1.jpg

EnglishSpot":1d58assr said:
Preitler, that black rabbit has some HUGE ears!!!

I am prepared to see that rabbit fly! Those ears are awesome!

I have mixed ear sizes as well in the same litter.

What colour is that broken-silver rabbit on Preitler last picture?

Preitler":1kp5vvop said:
That ears are coincidence, my rabbits are of very mixed heritage, so some surprising traits pop up now and then.

Looks like there's a little Flemish Giant in the woodpile somewhere. :lol: Good looking bunnies!

Nika":3dk180oc said:
What colour is that broken-silver rabbit on Preitler last picture?
Looks like broken chinchilla to me, but I could be wrong.

Back