OhioGoatGirl's Story

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiogoatgirl

Reaction score
Some of you were interested in the story I had started a long time ago on my RT blog. I have troubles with the blog setup so I will try to keep up posting it here. I have done a little editing and added a little more on. So for those interested I will try to add it in chapter per post to help break it up from one huge block of text.

CH 1 - THE LAST SCRAMBLE
Oh how I long for chocolate... But wait, let me start at the beginning. I hate it when people start in the middle.
About a month ago there were rumors of chaos in China and Japan. Of course the rumors ran from the third world war about to start, to alien invasion, to a rogue party of people overturning the government. But it was all taken as crazy rumors. After all the United States is across the planet from there. It wasn't our problem. People dismissed it all, the same way they dismiss most things. Though no one could have guessed what was really starting.

My dad always expected something to go very wrong. Even long, long before any rumors were about. We lived on 250 acres in the middle of nowhere Ohio. My younger sisters thought it some evil plot purely to ruin their social lives. It turned out to be a saving grace. Dad always watched the news and listened to talk radio news shows. He kept up with all that. The foreboding was enough now it seemed. He took out a mortgage for $47,000 and started what I think of as our last scramble.

We hired people to put in a giant root cellar. Turned the entire basement into a pantry. Ordered MRE meal foodstuffs. Ordered pounds and pounds of seeds from companies. Bought and put up acres of fence. Put up animal buildings and bought more and more livestock. Stocked up on ammunition and started daily practice with a myriad of weapons. The list goes on.
I think it was clear that my family all felt the sand pouring through the hourglass. My dad stressed over supplies mostly. Working on buying the medical things he thought we would need and trying not to raise any red flags to anyone. We didn't want anyone snooping and finding our things and be running back to us when things went bad. We understood we couldn't save everyone.

It was hard on my sisters. Feeling the oncoming doom but wanting a normal life. I know it wore on Dad too, that he couldnt give them the nice life he'd wanted to. Hate to say it now, but I was kind of looking forward to some of the effects that the doom might bring. Not the possible death or destruction, but the living simpler aspect. The farm and animals, doing it all for ourselves. It was exactly what I'd always dreamed of doing.

My fiancé was moving in from out of state. He'd been living with his family, trying to warn them and help them but they refused to listen. Finally he was forced to come without them, realizing that nothing we could say would convince them to see the warning signs and feel that storm coming in that we did. We were married in a small ceremony within the week he arrived. In spite of the impending disaster I believe we were as happy as any newly-weds.
Of course we didn't do a traditional honeymoon. Ours was spent finishing building our home in a deeper part of the farm. Surrounded by the pastures and sheep and goats. Preparing our own gardens and small crops. Larger crops would be done as a whole with everyone involved. We were busy and sweaty and happy as could be.

My sisters were quite another story. They despised everything. There were many arguments, much whining, and more than enough crying. We are nothing alike in many ways. They wanted happy little city/town lives. Worrying over what to wear and who might have a crush on them... Very boring and dull things in my mind. I was very much not looking forward to all that they would complain about in the future as things really got bad.

__________ Sat May 30, 2015 5:58 pm __________

CH 2 - AND IT ALL STARTED WITH A BIG BANG

Mom and Dad got divorced when I was in tenth grade. My sisters took things alot harder than I did, probably because they always wanted to believe that nothing was ever wrong. I am the oldest of three girls, Nadia age 23. Emily is the middle kid, age 18. And Elle is the baby, age 16. Dad has done some dating since the divorce but I can see that dating after 17 years of being married can be a bit rocky.

The day things began to happen around us my sisters each had a friend over. Emily's friend Baily and Elle's friend Getta. Emily and Baily were riding double on the four-wheeler riding some of the trails. "Eww! Baily do you smell that?" Emily said loudly over her shoulder to her friend.
"Smell what? I just smell four-wheeler." Baily laughed.
"No this isn't four-wheeler smell. I mean it is coming from the four-wheeler but its not a regular smell, ya know?" She slowed down and pulled off the trail. "Get off a minute. It kinda smells like its too hot or something. I dunno but it's not right."
They both looked over the machine quizzically and Baily asked "Hey how far is it to your sister's house? I thought you said it wasn't far."
"It's not. Just around this turn and it's along the tree line there" she replied, pointing ahead. "Lets just walk the rest and this can cool off. Then it should be fine when we want to drive back."

"Smells like my beautiful wife is cookin' again," he said as he walked up behind me.
I laughed softly at him, "So it does. You gettin' nauseous yet?" I joked.
Fenris came closer, wrapping his arms around my waist as he rests his chin on my shoulder. "No but I might be after I finish this great meal. From eating too much of your amazing cooking." Smiling and kissing my neck as I stir the pot of stew.
"Uh-huh, well you wont if ya don't let me put this back over the fire to finish cookin, " I mockingly scolded and he reluctantly released me after a playful growl in my ear.

BOOM!!

We both shot up and looked at each other. "I dont have any idea," he said to me, knowing we were both thinking the same thing. We ran around the other side of the house, toward the direction of the explosion sound. Smoke billowed up from the trees just as I saw Emily and Baily run out from the path in the woods.
"What are you doing? What was that? Are you guys okay?" I rattled off as they ran up and both hugged me, almost knocking us all to the ground.
"OH-MY-GOSH-we-almost-died-Nadia!! I-dont-know-what-happened!!" Emily exclaimed shakily. She looked as if she was going to go on but tears welled up in her eyes and cut her off.

We took the girls into the house. Being only May and still a bit chilly I had a small fire going in the woodstove. They settled on the couch, both looking rather shell-shocked. I knew Baily was used to a very normal, average life so I wasnt sure how she was handling it. Doing my best to comfort them until they relaxed enough to tell Fenris and I what happened.
Emily took a ragged, deep breath and started. "I dont know what happened. Dad didnt say anything was wrong with the four-wheeler. Just that there wasnt alot of gas so dont drive all around, just to here and back. And we didnt," looking over to Baily, whom nodded in agreement. "It smelled funny all of a sudden. Like the engine got too hot. But it wasnt that smell it was different. I dont know..."

Fenris looked at me puzzled. I shrugged my shoulders. I was never a mechanic. Always the one who would rather be walking or riding an animal rather than a car or some machine. She went on some more, "We got off and couldn't see anything that looked wrong. But I mean we don't know all about them or anything but there wasn't anything obvious that was wrong. I thought it was just hot and we started walking. I figured it would cool off while we were here and then I would tell Dad about it when we went back. But we were only like fifty feet from the four-wheeler and..." She paused, "I dunno... It just caught on fire and exploded in like a couple seconds..."

We all looked at each other with the same look of confusion. Feeling the confusion and helplessness rising, I had to get everyone thinking about other things, "Well the stew should be done now. You two hungry? I'm not guessing Dad's made dinner much. Let's have some lunch then we'll head down to the house and figure this out." And started scooping everyone bowls up. <br /><br /> __________ Sat May 30, 2015 6:01 pm __________ <br /><br /> CH 3 - And The Walls Come Tumblin' Down

After everyone finished eating Fenris and I rounded up the ox and hitched him to the small wagon. He was a crossbreed we had bought ridiculously cheap and wasn't really expected to live by the big time cattle farmer. But with the close watch and bit of extra food and attention he grew to be a wonderful, sturdy, and terrifically friendly steer. One day, following a whim and mostly expecting the half grown calf to pitch a fit at the attempt to put a halter on his face and an old large saddle pad on his back, I started training him. Much to my surprise, and considerably more surprised Fenris, the little guy went right along with the whole thing and took to it like a fish to water.

The wagon was just big enough for the four of us to ride down to the house. Emily and Elle being several years younger than myself still lived with Dad. I hoped that when it came time to build a house or houses for each of my sisters that we would have some more people around to help. Their house we just called "the house". No real rhyme or reason for it, kind of just happened. It sort of turned into the hub of things. When things needed done with everyone together we generally gathered there. Dad would sometimes jokingly call it the center of command.

As we came down the hill toward the house I could see Dad working his small garden. He looked up at us and I knew he knew something was up. He met us in the yard, already asking questions, "Hey. What's up?" After a glance in the back of the wagon he let out a small amused laugh, "Aw, don't tell me you got it stuck again?" Any other time it would have been amusing. Emily was always the most likely to get stuck for some reason. But this time it was different and I had a bad feeling about it.
I explained what Fenris and I heard and what Emily explained to us. Dad nodded and shook his head as I spoke. Turning to Fenris he said, "Why don't you guys go on inside and relax. Nadia and I will go back up and check it out." Fenris was always glad for the invitation and opportunity to play video games. Our home had some solar panels and things but we hadn't invested in alot for electric in it and we just got along without it. But he was still a gamer and gave my sisters his systems and games on the terms of him being able to come play sometimes. Before Dad could finish his sentence he was out of the wagon and helping Emily and Baily down. Once they were heading to the house Dad climbed in and we headed back up the hill.
The ride was quiet. We stopped near the four wheeler and got out to have a look. It was surprisingly intact for the boom it had made. A little burnt up but very whole. Really it just looked like the gas tank had burnt up and exploded. Other than that it seemed just fine. Dad seemed perplexed and that worried me as much as the actual weirdness of the scene before us. Few things perplex my father. I was the first to break the silence, "So what do you think?"

He walked around in a big circle. Looked up at the sky. Scratched his head. Then he sighed and looking at his feet mumbled something I couldn't make out. Finally he looked at me. If I wasn't already worried I definitely was now. I couldn't think of a time before that I saw my dad make this face. "I have no idea but I think we will be seeing a lot more of this."
"Wha-what's that supposed to mean?" I asked.
"There's been some stuff going on. Some talk. I didn't really think it would be this but I can't really think of a much more efficient way of making a point..." He tapered off quietly and did that face and beard rubbing thing he does alot when he is thinking. "See how the gas tank is all messed up? Looks like it exploded and here and over here some fire damage. I don't know how that happened. But... America is probably the biggest gas guzzlers of the countries. If someone wanted to really hit us hard... Really kick us down... The gas would be a good way of doing it."
I wasn't completely sure I understood what he meant but I had an idea. It didn't sound too far off to me either. From everything happening the last ten years or more, there are very few things I would put past people doing.

It's mid-June now. Just like Dad guessed there has been stories stirring of freak gas tank fires and explosions. So unsettling to think of people doing their normal routines and all of a sudden that happens. Lots of wrecks. Some people have stopped driving as much and some have stopped driving all together. Made me happy that we didn't need to use vehicles much and put us at less of a risk for us getting injured that way. Dad's quick thinking had sold the other two four wheelers a few days after the incident with Emily and Bailey. There wasn't stories and alot of worry over it then and we were able to use the money from selling them to help buy more items we would need.

I was tending the sheep. They were mainly my thing and I enjoyed them. I had woken feeling sick but it wore off as I tended the animals and started the day herding the sheep around some of the unfenced area of the farm. The lambing was all done now and with all the extra mouths to feed the pastures get eaten down faster. It's always good to get the sheep out onto the untended areas to graze them down periodically and get the lambs used to being herded. It was so relaxing. The sound of the sheep slowly moving across the land. Occasional baaa-ing of a lamb looking for its mother. The wind blowing gently through the trees. The weather not too hot or too cool. Me slowly knitting a simple scarf.

Fenris walked up to where I was sitting overlooking the sheep. He had been more worried than even me when more peoples vehicles started having gas tanks explode. Today he seemed less worried and I was glad for that. He sat down behind me and scooted up close, wrapping his arms around me. "Oh now who is this stranger cuddling me?" I joked. He said nothing and held tighter to me. I set aside the scarf I had been working on and leaned back into him just enjoying the quiet and the closeness. "Is something wrong?" I asked after several long minutes ­of silence. I pulled away and turned to see him. His eyes welled up with tears and some fallen down his cheeks. "Oh Fenris what's wrong?!" I asked. He really isnt the type for crying and something had to be really wrong. I tried to think of what it could be but wasn't sure. As far as I ­­knew he had been down helping Dad and some others put up the last of the fencing around the perimeter of the farm.

I let him take his time and after a while I suggested he go to the house and I would herd the sheep back to a pasture. He silently got up and walked off. I herded the sheep back around and into a pasture. The lambs racing each other and the ornery older ewes bossing the younger ones lightened my mood a little before heading into the house. When I went in he was all out crying and curled up on the bed. I curled up next to him and asked what was wrong. It took him a long moment to clear his throat and talk, "Mom." I was still unsure what was up. Fenris had not talked to his family much at all since moving here. They gave him such a hard time about everything and what we believed that it almost seemed better to not talk much. He cleared his throat again and went on. "She was on the way home from work. They think she was having a low sugar spell. Another car had its gas tank blow. It was multiple cars piled up. The cops are still going over it. Only two people made it to the hospital from the wreck. She.... She's..." And he broke into tears again. All I could do was hold him and do my best to console him.

Love the story! I really enjoy writing, too, but I never let anyone except my friends younger than me see the stories I write. Though, honestly, I shouldn't be afraid to let anyone see...
What do you like writing about?

Ok I am actually in the middle of ch 5 but I figured it has been long enough since I last updated the story. sorry yall. I write in spurts whenever the story comes to me. it'll be as much a surprise to me how the next chapters go as to you all! hahaha!

CH 4 - The Circle of Life

After that day Fenris was in a deep slump for a long while. Understandably upset over the loss of his mother but with a lingering depression hanging in the air for about two months. His childhood was basically lacking all of the childhood. His mother was left with insulin dependant diabetes from the pregnancy of her third son. A half brother and a step father to blame it on. Not that he wanted anything to do with his biological father who was a drunk and abusive. But this man was little better and would later prove it repeatedly. It was years before she divorced him as well.

The combination of gas tank explosion and low blood sugar attack caused an eight car pile up. Two people made it all the way to the hospital and only one of them survived their injuries. To everyone it seemed like the proverbial snowball was rolling down the hill. And it might be a steep hill. Now mid August we were moving full speed to preserve all the food we could. Spring started with seeding and animal births which were quickly followed by apples which needed picked and canned and a portion dried. Summer began with more planting of second succesion crops and hot weather loving plants. Now summer beginning to wind down with the full production of tomatoes to carrots, lettuce to broccoli, corn to potatoes, and tons more. I think we all felt an undertone of self preservation and hope with each can we put in the pantrys and each bushel of carrots or potatoes taken down to the root cellars.

Thankfully Dad also noticed the depression clinging around Fenris and soon they were hard at work building a forge. Something they both had interest in and Fenris especially a good hobby to put his heart into. I knew if it wasnt for my love of the farm and my crafts I would be bonkers years ago. Didnt take long before they would both disappear into their man cave of a blacksmith shop building. And soon both of their spirits were more uplifted.

..................................................................................

October brought it's own joys and stresses. It seemed winter might really roar in this year. I wasnt going to voice it around Dad but I had a theory that something about whatever made the gas tanks explode seemed to be egging on the precarious balance of mother nature. I had always been of the mind that humans caused alot of pollution as they "modernised" and especially in the last hundred or so years there was already being an offset of the balances happening. Dad was not of that mind.

The livestock year is at a funny spot during this part of the year. The weather is cool and the next month to two and a half months are optimal for home butchery. Theres lots of animals and lots of cupboards and fridges to keep full. The smell of the smoker going would be commonplace. The sight of extra tables spread out in the dining room covered in plastic and piles of meat and haunches of different animals surrounded by people you know all helping to prepare and store it. The kitchen abuzz with several people arranging and distributing freezer bags and freezer paper, tape, cleaned bowls, baskets of wrapped meats ready to go into the freezers.

Before that you need to go over the animals. Is there any animal not producing? Any who are not worth over wintering for breeding next year? You must go over the meat lambs and decide which are to be kept for your own family to butcher and which are to be sold. You must go through the few ram lambs which were left intact from the spring lambing and decide if any are excellent stock to keep on for breeding. Are there any outstanding looking ewe lambs worth keeping on to expand the flock? These things must be done for all the animals. Only then can you begin the sorrow of dispatching the meat animals and the following joy and commradery of people gathering and the filling of freezers and smoke houses.

........................................................................................

CH 5 - A New Way of Life

It's December. Winter hit hard the day after Thanksgiving. I was thankful that everyone could at least have that week to be light hearted. Christmas is around the corner and everyone has been excitedly making a present for their chosen family member. We all make gifts now since the stores have less and less. It is more often that not quite overly expensive as well since almost all gas powered vehicles have by now exploded or taken away. It was late October when that happened. I suppose the goverment finally figured it would be best to round up the remaining gas vehicles to secured locations to be retired and less injuries from more explosions.

Every once in a while newpapers will be delivered in large bundles to the bigger towns. Bringing news of the government. Many of the radio stations went out. I assume with people listening less with the rise of battery costs and electricity costs. More people are slowly working toward small homemade systems to power things. And plenty of people seem to be opting to forego it all and are trading in what they have of batteries and electrical tools and things for hand tools and bikes. Bikes have become the most popular mode of transportation. I suppose soon enough someone will need to take over how to best repair the roads without all the large machinery and things that has been used until recently.

I know nothing about writing but I love to read. Started your story and couldn't quit. Really drew me in.

Good job. Except... I want to know what happens next! :gettowork:

Back