Odd things you've heard

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
Picked up a rescue rabbit on Friday.

Person was telling me what to feed the rabbit.

Said this "don't feed lettuce as that makes them turn mean". (yet they were feeding it cabbage)

I didn't respond as I thought it was the ODDEST thing ever.

What odd things have YOU heard folks say in regards to rabbits?

On another forum once . . . the poster was surprised when their rabbits produced a litter. "But we didn't give them a nest box" she said, as though the lack of one was all that was needed to prevent breeding. (I hope she does better when her kids are teenagers.)

MaggieJ":q620iueg said:
On another forum once . . . the poster was surprised when their rabbits produced a litter. "But we didn't give them a nest box" she said, as though the lack of one was all that was needed to prevent breeding. (I hope she does better when her kids are teenagers.)

:lol: sheesh

I had a friend that wasn't so nice to her rabbit. She was always picking him up and holding him upside down and then chasing him. She told me, "I don't know why he always runs away from me." So yeah whatevs. :lol:

I had a bottle baby once, and I would sometimes carry her around in my pocket. My neighbour saw her and asked me if the mom had died. I said no, it lived with a doe but she didn't have much milk. She then insisted that the baby wasn't getting enough milk because I wasn't keeping her in with mom all of the time. I explained to her that rabbits aren't like cats and dogs, which nurse very often and are attentive to their babies. She said that she must be right, since she had rabbits as a kid... sigh. I've also been told that my Hollands are huge, because "most rabbits" are supposed to fit in the palm of your hand. I know I've face palmed so many times over things that people have told me, but I can't recall them all.

Also, love the Milotic icon the person above me has! :D

that cottontails will only breed with each other and rex coated domestic rabbits. I kindly told the guy that they can't breed with any domestic rabbit though I don't think he believed me...

I was in the pharmacy the other day and the guy told me that as a kid he raised American Chinchillas....Well when a tornado came through it took all his rabbits away. Then a few years later he was told of Giant jackrabbits with grey fur, He surmised that the jack rabbits must have bred with his am chins... :lol: didn't have the heart to tell him that couldn't be, and that if his rabbits lived then the good ol boys probably saw some of their offspring....

Not rabbits, but chickens.
How many times have you heard the question, "Do you need a rooster in your flock in order to get eggs that will hatch?" :shock:
My answer usually begins with... "When a mommy chicken and a daddy chicken love each other very much..." :secret:

Oh,oh,oh,...I have had people try to tell me that chickens won't even lay eggs without a rooster.... :p kinda makes me wonder what I have been eating for the last 6 years.... :shock:

siddsaysgimmie":wn67nofh said:
Also, love the Milotic icon the person above me has! :D

:lol: Thanks! <br /><br /> __________ Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:03 pm __________ <br /><br /> Wait, chickens can lay eggs without roosters? :x

katiebear":qs2b9odr said:
Oh,oh,oh,...I have had people try to tell me that chickens won't even lay eggs without a rooster.... :p kinda makes me wonder what I have been eating for the last 6 years.... :shock:
:lol: Years ago, we had a pair of cockatiels. Salty was very... um... He paid a whole lot of attention to poor Suzie... Every day. All the time. He never let her rest... But nothing ever came of it. No nesting... No eggs... One day, we found Salty cold and stiff in the bottom of the cage. Within a few days, Suzie was a like a new bird. Singing her heart out and laying eggs all over the place!
Women! who can explain em? :shrug: :roll:

When you hold a rabbit by the ears, it's eyes will pop out.

There's the variation for guinea pigs too--if you hold it by it's tail, it's eyes will pop out--but that's usually said to a complete newbie since they then start looking for the gp's tail....

All white rabbits are deaf, just like all white dogs.

All harlequins are like calico cats and are all female.

Does won't eat a litter if you don't touch the doe or the kids and give them fresh raw meat right before a litter.

Does won't take care of their kids unless they have raw meat, they need the protein from it.

Guinea pigs are giant rats, they'll eat any thing and be OK.

Rabbits can eat whatever I eat; mine especially loves hot fudge dipped banana chips.

I know domestics can cross with wild ones. We let a whole bunch loose, now look at them. They don't come to us and run away when some thing's after them.

Rabbits can't have rabbit food, they are supposed to eat vegis/plants. My friend fed her's rabbit food for a week and killed it.

As long as they have stuff to chew on, they won't eat my couch/cords/carpet/etc. I think I have moths though, my coushins have holes in them about the size of nickels on one side and the dish towls have wholes in them too.

Some times, it just amazes me off it is, if people would just stop and rationalize some of it.

totally snagging this from an old post on different forum for sheep but it fits...

" I am not an old sheep hand by any means, but I have been surprised by how many of my vegan friends were horrified at a picture I posted of my daughter holding bags of wool... one of the comments on it was "hope you didn't waste the meat". Whhhaaaat? People tell me how stupid sheep are and I don't tell them any differently, I just shrug and say "I tend to be tolerant of stupid as long as it's good natured". "

" My nieces were driving down the road one day, and came up behind a cotton truck. Niece N said to her sister, "Oh my gosh, how many sheep did they have to kill to get all that wool?" :he :lol: "

" I had a teacher at the fair one year get all excited and call her students over to look at a sheep's udder.....only problem....it wasn't a ewe she was looking at...... "

" When we first got sheep my son was 8. He watched the sheep doing what sheep do and climbed up on the fence and said. "see that stuff coming out of the daddy?" I said "yes" he said, "those are lamb seeds and she's going to grow a lamb! I'm going to sit her on the fence and wait till it comes out!" "

And same thing but non animal... I am a member of the spinners and weavers guild here and they have a lot to do in the fall festival at the site. its a bunch of historical buildings all set together and the guild runs two of the buildings during the festival. I have been going since I could walk and once I got into crafts and spinning I have been a member and take part the last several years.
well the one building gets packed full of spinning wheels, looms, knitting, tatting, great walking wheels, etc and if its chilly theres a fireplace upstairs and downstairs...
I honestly wanted to slap people "OH IS YOUR FIRE REAL?!?!" "OH LOOK honey (to like 5yr old) she is making rope on a sewing machine!" The worst of that one was she was so excited to show the little boy and teach him and all... uh the woman was using a petite serious old flax wheel and spinning thread!

just some people...

I walked two dairy goats and a fat old beagle dog (all on leashes!) across town to the park where they were doing a few things for 4th of july and they were doing a pet show. ya saanen milk goats and a fat old beagle (with his nails all painted glittery silver!). it was fun just to walk around! all the people were hysterical to watch them see/watch me. several people asked what kind of dogs the other two were... No joke these people were serious! One even had horn scurs.

ohiogoatgirl":1ph840xa said:
I walked two dairy goats and a fat old beagle dog (all on leashes!) across town to the park where they were doing a few things for 4th of july and they were doing a pet show. ya saanen milk goats and a fat old beagle (with his nails all painted glittery silver!). it was fun just to walk around! all the people were hysterical to watch them see/watch me. several people asked what kind of dogs the other two were... No joke these people were serious! One even had horn scurs.

:groooan:

Bunny-Wan Kenobi":3lpkc26c said:
ohiogoatgirl":3lpkc26c said:

:groooan:

Taking that the other direction... We used to have a brown, bindle greyhound. My wife was walking him early one morning and an older gentleman passing by asked her, "You're walking your deer?"
Well, okay. It was really foggy... but?

Latest posts

Back