Oats?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine love oats- just not the instant kind.

By the way, a contained of *name brand* oats here is about $5.00 for a smallish canister. I can get 50 pounds of rolled oats (same thing) from the feed store for about $12.00.

Marinea":2wu4cmmg said:
Mine love oats- just not the instant kind.

By the way, a contained of *name brand* oats here is about $5.00 for a smallish canister. I can get 50 pounds of rolled oats (same thing) from the feed store for about $12.00.

I thought my feed store was being a little shady. :evil: They want $20.00.

Price depends how cleaned the oats are. We could get a whole trailer for $20 but it still had the grasshopper bodies in it. Not to mention the dust. Finally my mom started paying out for bagged oats that are at least screened because I was sick of shoveling and then spitting and sneezing out black for a week. Plus who wants to know what dirty grasshoppers taste like.... I wish I didn't.

Oats are about double the amount of fat in rabbit pellets so you do have to take a little caution there. If you are feeding low fat foods this is not a problem. Oatmeal is often used in a bland diet of just oatmeal and grass hay when rabbits are having digestive problems and many who formulate their own diet without pellets use a lot of oats and other straight grains. Too much oats, especially with pellets, can make a fat rabbit.

akane":3c8nrvxh said:
Price depends how cleaned the oats are. We could get a whole trailer for $20 but it still had the grasshopper bodies in it. Not to mention the dust. Finally my mom started paying out for bagged oats that are at least screened because I was sick of shoveling and then spitting and sneezing out black for a week. Plus who wants to know what dirty grasshoppers taste like.... I wish I didn't.

:lol:

macksmom98":1vh502pr said:
Oats are good for kits tho right? When and how much do you want to start with?

They seem to be good for kits from what I'm hearing.
I would just start by adding a teaspoon or so, mixed in with the pellets.
In your case, if you're not offering pellets, I would just say give a little bit after you give the regular veggies, so your bun won't be too hungry and gulp them down.

Oats are pretty gentle on their digestive system, so you can start them on oats as soon as they start nibbling hay. I've used it for youngsters that idiot 'breeder' are convinced can leave momma at three weeks that I couldn't convince otherwise. Not sure they'd have survived otherwise since switching pellets cold turkey that young (if they're even eating them yet) could kill them.

Yeah she's always hungry now! And I try to keep unlimited pellets and Timothy hay for her, but even if I let her out to excercise she's stopping every 2 seconds to munch on plants! She probably would inhale it......I got a bag of young rabbit pellets to start once this bag is gone, and for the babies, so I will start by mixing a little with that-thanks! <br /><br /> __________ Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:45 am __________ <br /><br /> Hello PSF Angoras, where are you in Colorado? We are moving to Limon this summer....

PSFAngoras":3ma3is4v said:
Oats are pretty gentle on their digestive system, so you can start them on oats as soon as they start nibbling hay. I've used it for youngsters that idiot 'breeder' are convinced can leave momma at three weeks that I couldn't convince otherwise. Not sure they'd have survived otherwise since switching pellets cold turkey that young (if they're even eating them yet) could kill them.

Thanks PSF! She really likes the oats :lol:

Latest posts

Back