NZW weights at 4 weeks?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lereg15

Reaction score
As I know that there are many variables that attribute to weight, but I was curious who weighs their kits at 4 weeks and what the average weight of them should be? I weighed mine today, but I'm not sure how accurate my scale is. Their weight was right around 8-8.8 ozs. Does that seem like a decent weight for their age?

My adults are 7 to 8.5 pounds and kits so far this year have averaged just under a pound each at 4 weeks.
It's easy to feel discouraged when you're just starting and you hear about the weights others get who've been at it for a while. It has helped me to keep good records, keep the ones that do the best, keep reading on RT and try out different suggestions. (For instance, some advise weaning early for best results, others find that later weaned kits grow better and stay healthier so I've been trying some each way to see how it works for my rabbits.
Good luck!

I'm curious as well!
There are so many variables!
We have only had 2 litters (Flemish mix) and there were 10 kits in the first litter, 7 in the second --same dam... And at 4 weeks the larger litter was a pound and the smaller litter was 1.5 pounds which makesmevthink the smaller litter is an asset.

Wow, and thought they were doing pretty good. Although, like I said, I'm not sure how the scale is working and I'm not that confident in it. I can't see that they weigh a lb though. This is from first litters too, if that matters? Is there something I should do to make them gain weight quicker?

lereg15":3qel63pq said:
Wow, and thought they were doing pretty good. Although, like I said, I'm not sure how the scale is working and I'm not that confident in it. I can't see that they weigh a lb though. This is from first litters too, if that matters? Is there something I should do to make them gain weight quicker?

First litters should grow as well as any other. Large litters sometimes grow more slowly then smaller ones. Litters of 4 or less almost always grow super fast, just because they all get so much more milk.

Weanlings are at the highest risk for digestive upsets.

Adding something new to their diet a 4 or 5 weeks can run a risk of upsetting their digestion and costing you weeks of growth, if not the actual lives of the whole litter. Diarrhea can quickly lead to dehydration and death with weanlings. So tread cautiously when introducing feed supplements at this age.

The safest bet if you want to give them extra calories is probably oats. Good quality hay improves digestion and I like to make sure my weanlings have it available to them daily.

With rabbits, it really not about getting more calories into them like it is with other livestock. It's more about getting their digestive tracts running as smoothly and efficiently as possible.

All I'm feeding them are oats, hay and pellets. I check them every day and they all seem to be doing good. They are all eating, and I haven't seen any runny poo. I thought I was doing well, I don't know now. :( <br /><br /> -- Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:55 pm -- <br /><br />
Zinnia":25gy5pi0 said:
Perhaps supplementing the doe is the way to go... boosting her milk supply.

Mint or parsley? I try to give them mint, when I can find some.

EnglishSpot":2a626guv said:
I just weighed all my NZR 4 wkers today and they ranged from 1#1oz to 1#6oz. That does not include the runt, Hungry, who weighed in at 10 oz.

Ouch!! Hopefully it's just my scale

It might be your scale, your bloodlines, or maybe another factor altogether.
:shrug:
I think their diet sounds perfect for the age.
Make sure the pellets and hay are stored in a location where humidity can't cause any problems.

For increasing(or enriching) milk supply, black oil sunflower seeds are my favorite go-to.
The herbs are good, but with the seeds, the doe converts the oil in them directly to milk fat.

I may have to get some BOSS then. I wish i could get a second opinion with the scale!! I'm not sure where I could put my hay, but the pellets are in a rubbermaid container. It has been raining for the last week or so, so maybe I should get another bale of hay?

This is a learning process for me and I just want to get it right. It makes me think that all the research that I done just wasn't enough, :( .

Don't let one litter get you down!
Like someone else said-- some of these folks have worked for many years in their herds to get the growth they do.
We are just venturing into meat production and there is SO much to learn but thankfully with rabbits they help you learn quickly!
My does love the oiled black sunflower seeds :)

lereg15":15tesmiw said:
This is a learning process for me and I just want to get it right. It makes me think that all the research that I done just wasn't enough, :( .

The research you've done is great for getting you where you are now! As was said, don't let one litter get you down AND it may be a scale issue. Does anyone have a food scale you can borrow or an electronic kitchen scale?

I had to do an about-face earlier this year regarding my meat rabbits, which ultimately meant getting a new buck. If it hadn't been for RT, I would still be trying to figure out what exactly was wrong.

Knowing your buck and doe's weight is very crucial information for your meat program. Weigh them, add their weights, and then divide by two. That's about how big your kits will be as adults. Most meat rabbits are processed at 10-12 wks, which is nowhere near adult weight.

Since your rabbts are adults they should be about 10-12lbs. If they are not, perhaps you have cross-bred NZs, which is very possible. I have a NZ cross and she weighs only 7.5lbs; my full NZR doe is 10.

If you want to upsize your rabbits without buying new, keep the biggest and breed back to your biggest. Eat the rest. Make their genetics work for you!!

This last few weeks are a little depressing though!! My garden has been poured on for a week and a half, apparently the kits are small, I can't work much, because of the rain. CURSES :evil: !!

When I decide to do something, I try to get the most info as I can. That's why I came here, and you all are amazing :D . I thought I had everything to standards, but I guess not. It's truly a humbling experience this year. I will prevail though!! I will not give up on being somewhat self sufficient!! :cool:

-- Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:05 pm --

EnglishSpot":1bia3gxj said:
lereg15":1bia3gxj said:

The research you've done is great for getting you where you are now! As was said, don't let one litter get you down AND it may be a scale issue. Does anyone have a food scale you can borrow or an electronic kitchen scale?

I had to do an about-face earlier this year regarding my meat rabbits, which ultimately meant getting a new buck. If it hadn't been for RT, I would still be trying to figure out what exactly was wrong.

Knowing your buck and doe's weight is very crucial information for your meat program. Weigh them, add their weights, and then divide by two. That's about how big your kits will be as adults. Most meat rabbits are processed at 10-12 wks, which is nowhere near adult weight.

Since your rabbts are adults they should be about 10-12lbs. If they are not, perhaps you have cross-bred NZs, which is very possible. I have a NZ cross and she weighs only 7.5lbs; my full NZR doe is 10

Well, I will say this, I think I bred them a little too early as well. They were about 8lbs for the buck and about 6 lbs for the does. They were only 5 months (buck) and 4 months (does). Could that be a reason?

If you want to upsize your rabbits without buying new, keep the biggest and breed back to your biggest. Eat the rest. Make their genetics work for you!!

Thanks!! I just want to do things the right way, that's all.

lereg15":3e87duqq said:
Mint or parsley? I try to give them mint, when I can find some.

Lereg, parsley would be good. Mint is often used to REDUCE & dry up a doe's milk, so I'd say stay away from it for nursing and pregnant does. You can give it to mama at weaning time, and the buck can enjoy til his heat's content. Might even make the doe's appreciate him all the more for his minty fresh breath.

Lereg15, my meat herd are NZW and Californians and I had pretty low weights at first (not even just low compared to the people who'd been working for years to get their numbers up like the folks here - I mean like "are you secretly a dwarf?" low... tasted fine though...)

I'm still trying various things to boost growth rate thanks to the wealth of knowledge here on the forum but what turned out to be the problem for me was my first buck. Quite like EnglishSpot posted - I ended up getting a new one. Old Fred just made small babies, despite being a fairly decent sized fella. His kits were healthy and happy and there was nothing wrong with any of them...besides the fact that they didn't grow very fast or for very long. I've a new young chap now who seems to be an improvement. I'm keeping my eye out for new blood does to add to the mutt program in case a new young lady will help in the medium term too, but it seems like "rabbits" in the UK are 95% nondescript mini lops which isn't helpful :lol:

My weights still aren't up to the standard most of the long-time RT meat rabbit folks would call "good", but... Better. Good enough for me, anyway. Although I'm still moving towards improvement, I don't have the space to dedicate to truly constant keep-the-best breeding here, so it'll be an overall slower thing for me, helped along by good food and conditions and such!

Fingers crossed you see an improvement with your feeding supplements; if not... Maybe keep an eye out for a buck to test-breed with, see if you get a noticeable difference in weights with a different sire.

Latest posts

Back