nzw pair

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camanojim

Reaction score
I have a breeder who has a "matched pair" of 5 month old NZW. They are pedigreed and tatoo'ed and guarenteed healthy and free of genetic defects. This breeder comes highly recommended by people I trust and has a reputation of open door policy for help and advice. All of this and a bag of feed for.......$120.00 :x

now I was a little sticker shocked at first but I have been told that this guy knows his stuff and takes great care of his breeding lines. craigs list ads have been little help as they are either very far away or wrong breeds. but I have seen ads that are in the $45.00 each range from time to time.

What do you think? I am inclined to buy them just for the mentor factor alone. :ugeek:

I would bet the fact that the guy comes highly recommended has a lot to do with the price. And since he is highly recommended he would have good stock. I would think this may be a great opportunity for you, especially with his open door policy.

$90 for an unknown pair or $120 from a breeder with an excellent reputation, some food for the transition, and a possible mentor? I'd go for it...

...but my buying policy with everything (non living and living) is to buy quality that lasts.

At five months the rabbits are at or near breeding age, so if you factor in the cost of feed, time, and care to raise up a couple weanlings to that age, I think it offsets the extra $30 that you would be paying for younger $45 stock.

If you can financially handle the price, don't let the sticker shock scare you off. If what you are looking for is healthy rabbits that put on consistently good meat for a family food source, buy the best stock you can find at the start of your project. You could waste a lot of time catching up from early mistakes if you buy the cheaper or first available rabbits. Yes the mentor factor is also huge. I would actually look to get two does instead of one. Multiple pluses to this if the one doe doesn't take or if both does are bred at the same time you can foster overflow kits from one doe to another. You also have greater genetic diversity to mix and match without having to bring another doe into the herd later on.

Thanks everyone, I am looking for a trio but his next batch 'o babies are a couple weeks out. He said I could complete my trio then. I have been waiting a long time for this and I would like to get good breeding stock to start with. This does sound better to me all the time. Thanks again :D

the price may sound high. but as MSD stated look at what you are getting.
as you said, you would like to get GOOD breeding stock to start with. this would help you in the long run
you will not have many or any problems to breed out of your stock latter.
I would say. go for it.

OK it's a done deal I will be picking them up tomorrow. In our conversation today he mentioned that his rabbit sales have gone through the roof. He keeps four different genetic lines and usualy has 50 rabbits at one time but has been selling out. Thanks again for the input everybody :)

:eek:ldtimer: Congratulations Jim,
I believe you are making the right choice.
you're getting the breed of your choice,
they are of top quality and come with
the aid of a qualified Mentor!
you can't do much better than that.
Ottersatin.

Congts. I do not think you will be sorry, if so. It will be because you did not get more. LOL
keep us posted.

CWD":32i6qxz2 said:
Congts. I do not think you will be sorry, if so. It will be because you did not get more. LOL
keep us posted.

when I have a trio I will be set :D
I built 2 palatial estates for the does. A righteous bachelor pad for the buck and pre-camp fun park for the kiddies.
If all goes well I have room for a few more.

Latest posts

Back