Not new, but returning!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that I'm sure that the NZ/Rex broken black buck was the cause of the VM marks, I'm also certain now that those were MINI Rex and not standard as claimed!
Once the new Rex is old enough to breed, it'll be interesting to see if his pairings with the same does will result in larger, faster growing kits!

I also believe that he was the cause of all of the harlequinization in some of the kits!

Blu, the friendly broken blue doe, I gave her two dried gourds. She eventually noticed them & started to fling them around. She waits by the door for her pats n love every time I'm out there, so thought she may want toys.

The tort is the runt in the 2nd litter, sucks. Dates aren't lined up great, oops. Blackie will be replaced by the best doe, if she ends up beating her weights.
Video Collage Maker_7JLhKB.png

They seem pretty similar, so I'm not sure if any will replace Blu. Maybe a doe will be bigger & better shaped.
Video Collage Maker_5Qkysf.png

Huge litter size difference, but it looks like 3 are nearly 2#, which is great. Looks like only 1 is a doe of those three, if she stays at the top & manages to stay at or above Onyx's weights, she'll replace her.
Video Collage Maker_sB5Xpj.png

Looks like Sparkle may be beat out by this 2nd litter! If so, she'll be replaced by, it looks like, #4 doe.
Video Collage Maker_OC9szg.png

Oh, that 3rd failer was fat this morning! Such a rollercoaster!! But it seems all 11 might make it! 🤞🤞🤞

Looks like two of 45's kits are 5#, 3 others should get there in a few more days. SF that are heavy enough will go with the two mutts this week/weekend.

11's kits are 3 to 3.10 pounds at 5wks & 3 days. Hope they keep it up.

7 buns were moved to the butcher cages! Looks like tomorrow will be a nice day for it. I've noticed that they always seem happy to be moved in there, binkying & exploring the new cage space & smells.

Amber kits were split into two cages last night, as they're running out of food & water too quickly while all together.

Flipped her and feet are parallel. Maybe narrowly placed, causing the wrinkles?
View attachment 33718View attachment 33719View attachment 33720
That looks more like what's called a "hollow loin" (A). Ideally the loin is "well filled", meaning that the loin muscles are thick and developed, so there isn't that hollow near her hips. She may also be a little "pinched" in the hindquarters. Her feet may be parallel, but also as you say, narrowly set, which among other things could cause her hips (actually her knees) to jut out a little.

The rabbit viewed from behind should be about as tall as it is wide, with a smooth curve starting at the top and carrying down to fullness at the table (B). The blue lines show what closer to ideal hindquarters would look like:
InkedInked blue rex doe loin.jpg
You can see by the slight tipping of the profile to the right that she is probably leaning/pushing a little. I've found that rex and especially mini rex are inclined to do that.

The good news is that her depth/width are fairly well-balanced. I think she just needs to fill out a little, which may, or may not, come with growth and development. (And don't mistake that for getting fat, which will only exaggerate her issues since fat tends to be put on around the shoulders and make the rabbit look less, rather than more, balanced.)

How old is she? Sometimes "teenage" rabbits go through a lanky, ugly stage. One of the most successful breeders I've ever known (raised nationally-ranked Californians) said he assessed his bunnies at 6-8 weeks, made his initial choices about keepers, then didn't look at them again until they were 5-6 months old.

That looks more like what's called a "hollow loin" (A). Ideally the loin is "well filled", meaning that the loin muscles are thick and developed, so there isn't that hollow near her hips. She may also be a little "pinched" in the hindquarters. Her feet may be parallel, but also as you say, narrowly set, which among other things could cause her hips (actually her knees) to jut out a little.

The rabbit viewed from behind should be about as tall as it is wide, with a smooth curve starting at the top and carrying down to fullness at the table (B). The blue lines show what closer to ideal hindquarters would look like:
View attachment 33722
You can see by the slight tipping of the profile to the right that she is probably leaning/pushing a little. I've found that rex and especially mini rex are inclined to do that.

The good news is that her depth/width are fairly well-balanced. I think she just needs to fill out a little, which may, or may not, come with growth and development. (And don't mistake that for getting fat, which will only exaggerate her issues since fat tends to be put on around the shoulders and make the rabbit look less, rather than more, balanced.)

How old is she? Sometimes "teenage" rabbits go through a lanky, ugly stage. One of the most successful breeders I've ever known (raised nationally-ranked Californians) said he assessed his bunnies at 6-8 weeks, made his initial choices about keepers, then didn't look at them again until they were 5-6 months old.

A lot of them like to flop/bulge out to the side. 😑 Sometimes I can get them to stop, other times, I give up.

10wks yesterday for the most recent pics.

View attachment 33722

It used to be more filled in.

Screenshot_20230105_173649_Video Player.jpg

It used to be more filled in.

View attachment 33748
Right, so they may very well be going through that ugly gangly stage. I don't know if you have kids, but many of them have a similar growth pattern... Not that they're ugly :giggle: but first they grow up, then they grow out, then they grow up again...

From that photo, I'd say give her a bit more time. She still looks like she my be a bit pinched, but overall not bad from that perspective.

Just glancing through the time-series photo collage, the one I'd be most inclined to keep is the broken blue buck. His peak seems placed most correctly and he seems a little more filled to the table.

You're doing a nice job posing them, by the way, especially for those push-y lean-y rex. :)

Right, so they may very well be going through that ugly gangly stage. I don't know if you have kids, but many of them have a similar growth pattern... Not that they're ugly :giggle: but first they grow up, then they grow out, then they grow up again...

From that photo, I'd say give her a bit more time. She still looks like she my be a bit pinched, but overall not bad from that perspective.

Just glancing through the time-series photo collage, the one I'd be most inclined to keep is the broken blue buck. His peak seems placed most correctly and he seems a little more filled to the table.

You're doing a nice job posing them, by the way, especially for those push-y lean-y rex. :)

Lighter marked broken castor, broken castor & black w/left white toes are the heaviest and the ones I'll be choosing whom to keep. Unless someone else jumps in weight.

Back