New to showing rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmabb

Reaction score
Ok since we are now in with ARBA and I have bought some showable rabbits (chocolate mini rexs) I want to get my feet wet and show them. I've never done a show before and I'm NEW to it all. HOW do I start, what do I have to do. I have the book of perfection also. Can I just show one rabbit or do I have to bring them all, like I see other breeders do. Question questions to many questions!!!! :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:

Search the ARBA show listings for a show close to you, contact the show secretary for info on the show, enter 1 or 100 of your rabbits, travel to the show, make new friends, and become addicted! Somewhat simplified but that's how our first venture into the show world went. Most shows will have a catalog with rules, contacts, locations etc. Some will post a copy to the ARBA show lisiting, others have it available on the web or will email you a copy.

Enjoy, Bill

I recently attended my first show, and have a post entitled "First show experience" in Show Rabbits if you would like to read a first hand account. :)

You don't have to take them all. Chances are that the folks who have lots of rabbits at a show have 4x that many at home in the barn. Check out the post that MamaSheepdog recommended, its all laid out there very well.

Bill":j689c872 said:
http://rabbittalk.com/first-show-experience-t5766.html

Thanks Bill!

:?: How do you import the link?<br /><br />__________ Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:08 pm __________<br /><br />Hey that's not what "Bill wrote"!

How utterly simple... :p "It's so easy even a Techno-Peasant can do it!" :lol:

The blind leading the blind, are they? Well I'm glad that you figured out an easy way for us TP's to look good!

Go ahead, join the habit! The show habit, the meat habit, the fur habit, the rabbit habit.

cmabb":8sn9t5vv said:
HOW do I start, what do I have to do.
Go to the ARBA website and look under "Member Resources", then click on the "Shows" link. It will allow you to search for your nearest shows based upon location or date

Can I just show one rabbit or do I have to bring them all, like I see other breeders do. Question questions to many questions!!!! :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:

As it relates to showing, the only stupid questions that are ever asked are the ones which are never asked.

You can enter one or the whole herd, it's your choice. I've seen people come into a showroom with a single rabbit and wind up winning it all, while others have filled showrooms with rabbits which never should have seen a showroom and not win diddly. How many you wish to enter is strictly up to you.

Just make sure that your rabbits are in a carrier with leak-proof bottoms. Doesn't matter what the cages or bottoms are made of, so long as they don't leak.

curlysue":22rjll8m said:
Bring extra carriers because you will need too buy rabbits.lol.

Nah, just buy a few new carriers at the show because you'll need them anyway!!! :lol:

SatinsRule":22hcbwm2 said:
Nah, just buy a few new carriers at the show because you'll need them anyway!!! :lol:

Remember I made my own 4 hole carriers (2 of them) before the show, plus I already had 2 2 hole carriers from BASS? I ended up buying 2 more 4 holes at the show for the same cost as my homemade ones. I now have 20 "travel holes", which come in handy when you do a deep cleaning of cages and want to clean a whole row of cages at once. They are also good to have in case of emergency if you need to evacuate due to a fire or other disaster.

MamaSheepdog":1v0lfpef said:
SatinsRule":1v0lfpef said:

Remember I made my own 4 hole carriers (2 of them) before the show, plus I already had 2 2 hole carriers from BASS? I ended up buying 2 more 4 holes at the show for the same cost as my homemade ones. I now have 20 "travel holes", which come in handy when you do a deep cleaning of cages and want to clean a whole row of cages at once. They are also good to have in case of emergency if you need to evacuate due to a fire or other disaster.

I got back into this thing just over a year ago. At present, I have about 30 holes, and never have I had 30 rabbits. Oddly enough, I'm looking pretty seriously at getting another couple of them at the next show. It's just better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them. ;)

SatinsRule":1w5yfvno said:
It's just better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them. ;)

Random Rabbit":1w5yfvno said:
So true on so many levels..... :bunnyhop:

( and that is why DH and i rarely get rid of Anything that might be remotely useable.......) :p

My philosophy in a nutshell! I wish Hubs felt the same way- it's a battle when we clean out a shed or the basement or whatever- he puts something in the trash, I take it out...

MamaSheepdog":xxz6t4oc said:
SatinsRule":xxz6t4oc said:
It's just better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them. ;)

Random Rabbit":xxz6t4oc said:
So true on so many levels..... :bunnyhop:

( and that is why DH and i rarely get rid of Anything that might be remotely useable.......) :p

My philosophy in a nutshell! I wish Hubs felt the same way- it's a battle when we clean out a shed or the basement or whatever- he puts something in the trash, I take it out...

Sadly, DH and i are Both pack-rats. We tend to accumulate stuff... ( tractors... tractor parts, tools... tool parts...Ya never know when it "might come in handy".....)

Latest posts

Back