new to rabbits and rabbit talk

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to RT. Glad you've joined us.
I know others will comment but I have read a lot of issues with doing adult rabbits with cervical dislocation. It's a lot harder on older rabbits. I've read here many use a pellet gun or 22 on the older rabbits. Myself I will be doing my younger rabbits with the hopper popper I have and use a 22 on the older just to avoid any issues on older ones. I've been using the hopper popper on chickens/roosters for years. Works so well.

is a rabbit wringer or hopper popper the most humane way to slaughter both a 12 week old or an adult rabbit?
I have back and sciatic issues that make the broomstick difficult. So i secured a choke chain to a tree at chest height. I can cradle the rabbit and make sure they are calm and comfy as i set the chain around the neck, being SURE the ring part is centered beneath the chin. Then i step back as i grab the hind feet and pull sharp till the pop.

I have a 99% success rate with this...the best meat and least clotting around the neck.

The 1% happened before i knew to center the ring under the chin. That was still a swift kill but sometimes causes dislocation too far back around the shoulders. Made for bloodier meat in that area and difficulty skinning.

It's by far my preferred method to date. I can calmy do up to 10 rabbits in 15 min.

I have back and sciatic issues that make the broomstick difficult. So i secured a choke chain to a tree at chest height. I can cradle the rabbit and make sure they are calm and comfy as i set the chain around the neck, being SURE the ring part is centered beneath the chin. Then i step back as i grab the hind feet and pull sharp till the pop.

I have a 99% success rate with this...the best meat and least clotting around the neck.

The 1% happened before i knew to center the ring under the chin. That was still a swift kill but sometimes causes dislocation too far back around the shoulders. Made for bloodier meat in that area and difficulty skinning.

It's by far my preferred method to date. I can calmy do up to 10 rabbits in 15 min.
???are you harvesting all 10 at once? I have always done one at a time. Dislocation, hang by back feet, remove head, bleed, skin, gut, and portion. Then walk out to yard and catch another. Think I'm doing good if I can do one in 30 minutes

???are you harvesting all 10 at once? I have always done one at a time. Dislocation, hang by back feet, remove head, bleed, skin, gut, and portion. Then walk out to yard and catch another. Think I'm doing good if I can do one in 30 minutes
I have a partner who helps...my bleed station is near my chain and the holding pen is also close...i do a litter at a time. So usually 6 to 12 growouts. I dispatch, hang, head off and my partner hands me the next. So yep, its assembly line and we've gotten quick! Then we carry them to the butchering station and can get thru skinning and cleaning in under an hour. Usually have everything cleaned up and carcasses in ice water and just over an hour.

Latest posts

Back