New Rabbits, a little advice please.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know. I've never tried housing a nest in a separate cage. :-? If I thought they might be getting chilled, I would be just as worried about them being chilled in a separate cage. Most does "tend" the nest, covering the babies with more fur when they get cold and keeping everything well fluffed to maintain insulation. I might worry about three kits at night without that care.

I have cats too. My last litter inside was kept in a picnic basket with a towel on the bottom :) It was well ventilated and had a lid and latch to keep the cats out.

Closing the nestbox in a room where the other animals can't get to them can also work.

I think I have a plan that should work.

I really don't have extra rooms, but there is one bedroom that stays closed, the problem is trying to get in there to get them fed at night without waking up my daughter.... I'll make it work. How long until they start coming out of the box?

ChaoSS":21ozhl6y said:
Just pulled 4 dead kits from the nest. They appear to have been fed. Did i kill them by messing up the nest?
I can't think of anything other than that they got cold after I changed out the nest because I didn't get it put back together well enough.

If you didn't put enough bedding in the nest, it is possible that they got chilled.

Here is an example of a well bedded nest:

IMG_7014.JPG

You can see in this photo that the doe has not yet "fluffed" the fur:

IMG_7018.JPG

It should look like this:

IMG_9913.JPG

My concern is whether the three kits by themselves will be putting out enough warmth to keep themselves alive tonight. It really isn't that cold around here, I'm in California and it's dropping into the low 50s very high 40s at night.

I would bring them inside as Zass suggested, at least for a couple of days. If they have lots of fur coverage, they should be fine after that.

I am in CA as well, NE of Bakersfield in the Sierras. :) Welcome, fellow Californian! :p

Could you add your state to your profile? It helps our members to tailor their advice to your climate.

I don't know where I could put the kits in the house without the cat getting at them.

I made a hardware cloth cover for my wire nests to keep our cats out.

the problem is trying to get in there to get them fed at night

Does usually nurse near dawn and dusk. There is no need to disturb your daughter. :)

Zass":21ozhl6y said:
She also might have slept on top of them

Some does will lay in the nest and smother the kits. I have a couple that like to lounge in the nests, but are careful of the kits. I have culled other "nestbox loungers" for killing their litters.

You can probably put them back outside in a few days or a week when they are furred out and able to wiggle out from under their momma if she decided to lay in the nest. Trust your intuition about it though :)

I'll be honest, I don't keep a normal schedule. Those inside babies of mine went out once around noon or 1, were fed right then, and didn't go back out until noon the next day. They were still fat.

I see my does nursing in the late afternoon and often in the morning at around 8:00 a.m. There are no hard and fast rules- just try to get them out there about 12 hours apart. Some does only feed once daily, so even once per day may be fine.

If possible, just try to maintain some semblance of a schedule.

image.php

Once daily, noon fed basket babies :D I think...about 11 days old.
They had about outgrown the basket here. Silly things. It's actually a pretty big basket, they just grew really fast.

They look so happy and relaxed cause it was -10 degrees outside at the time of this pic. I think they knew they had it good inside :lol:

See Chaoss? Piece of cake. ;)

Just look at those fat little babies! :D They are adorable, Zass. :)

Sorry. I don't mean to go crazy about this sort of thing. I just don't want to kill the rest of my litter by not knowing what I'm doing. They already seem to have a tiny bit of fur they didn't have when I first saw them, so I guess I don't have long till they either die or I don't have to worry too much about them dying.

ChaoSS":18a9vim3 said:
Sorry. I don't mean to go crazy about this sort of thing. I just don't want to kill the rest of my litter by not knowing what I'm doing.

Don't apologize! Of course you are worried. But we are here to help in whatever way we can. :)

There is a definite learning curve with rabbits, so you are lucky to have found this forum so early in your rabbit raising adventures. I had to muddle through for months on my own, and had done a ton of research and reading before getting my initial stock. There are countless hours of experience among our members here on RT, and book learning just can't hold a candle to it.

Don't worry- we have all made mistakes and suffered losses due to our own ineptitude, so none of us here will berate you for any mistakes you may make. Hopefully we will help you avoid most of them. :)

MamaSheepdog":3bmck0jq said:
ChaoSS":3bmck0jq said:
Sorry. I don't mean to go crazy about this sort of thing. I just don't want to kill the rest of my litter by not knowing what I'm doing.

Don't apologize! Of course you are worried. But we are here to help in whatever way we can. :)
Absolutely! We were all new at this once upon a time, even Grumpy (one of our seasoned commercial producers)! :hiding:

Yeah, I'm in the Central Valley. Near Visalia.

Well, the three remaining kits have survived thus far. My wife took them out to nurse around 7, and she didn't feed them, but when I got home this morning (around 6) she was raring to go. Soon as I put the nest in there she was hovering over them. I couldn't see too well what was going on but they all seem to be fed, none of them look like they have empty bellies. After she was done she started going crazy trying to build the nest up some more, she was pulling hay out of her feed tray and putting it in the nest. Guess she's trying to atone for losing some. :bunnyhop:

When I checked them they all seemed to be moving ok, none of them seemed lethargic or anything, :D .

Poor girl, I just went back out there and she has all the hay I just fed her, and a little bit more of her hair, and she's trying to build up another nest, with the kits gone.

ChaoSS":2dtjisin said:
Well, the three remaining kits have survived thus far. My wife took them out to nurse around 7, and she didn't feed them, but when I got home this morning (around 6) she was raring to go.

Sometimes their milk doesn't really come in for about 24 hours or more. If she doesn't feed them tonight, she may be one of those does that nurses only once a day.

Poor girl, I just went back out there and she has all the hay I just fed her, and a little bit more of her hair, and she's trying to build up another nest, with the kits gone.

Sometimes doe's nesting instincts kick in a little late. Can you find another container to keep the kits in so she can have the nestbox back? That way she can add to the nest, pull more fur, etc. Whatever you do, don't leave the kits in the box while she does this! She may dig and harm the kits. She is working on instinct (albeit a bit late) and wont think "Hmm, I'd best be careful, because I already have babies in here."

I'm glad she fed the kits and is showing nesting behavior! Those are good signs that she will do better next time. :) <br /><br /> -- Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:37 am -- <br /><br />
I'm in the Central Valley. Near Visalia.

Really? We are practically neighbors, lol!

There is a show in Hanford tomorrow. Shows are a great place to pick up any equipment you may need, or more breeding stock. Plus it is fun to see all of the different breeds, and watching the judging will help you to better evaluate your stock and decide who to keep and who to cull.

MamaSheepdog":11644qjq said:
Sometimes their milk doesn't really come in for about 24 hours or more. If she doesn't feed them tonight, she may be one of those does that nurses only once a day.
It amazes me that those little tiny things can survive on only one feeding a day. Guess nature just does crazy things some times.

Sometimes doe's nesting instincts kick in a little late. Can you find another container to keep the kits in so she can have the nestbox back? That way she can add to the nest, pull more fur, etc. Whatever you do, don't leave the kits in the box while she does this! She may dig and harm the kits. She is working on instinct (albeit a bit late) and wont think "Hmm, I'd best be careful, because I already have babies in here."
I probably could find another container but I'm hesitant to get them out of the nest if it's going to be too cold for them. I'll just be careful and pull them out after she is done feeding.
Really? We are practically neighbors, lol!

There is a show in Hanford tomorrow. Shows are a great place to pick up any equipment you may need, or more breeding stock. Plus it is fun to see all of the different breeds, and watching the judging will help you to better evaluate your stock and decide who to keep and who to cull.
I saw that in another thread. I just pulled a 12 hour night at work, and got up with less than 6 hours of sleep to take care of these rabbits before I head off to work. Tonight's looking to be a 13-14 hour night. I really don't think I'll have the energy to deal with going to a show. Is this a regular sort of thing in the area? Or pretty rare?

-- Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:51 am --

Ok, what size should a good nesting box actually be? My other doe (didn't think she was pregnant, guess I really need to learn to tell better earlier in the pregancy) seems to have some little babies wriggling around her belly, so I'm finally putting together the bigger cages for them. She's going to have a bigger cage, and a proper nesting box, and we'll see if this one goes a little bit more smoothly. I just don't know what size to make the nesting boxes, big enough to hold enough hay and small enough that she can get in comfortably enough....

-- Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:50 pm --

Worst rabbit owner in the world here. I finally got around to building the cage for the second doe today, let her run around and explore it for a bit, and since I decided I didn't feel like building a nesting box, I went down to Tractor Supply and bought one. I got home, stuffed it with hay, stuck it in her cage, and had kits 30 minutes later.

If she's been holding it back for lack of a suitable nesting area, could that have hurt some of the kits? I haven't checked on them yet, I saw some wriggling around in there, so I certainly didn't have them all still born or anything. Hopefully they'll all be ok. At least now she has a suitable nest, a large enough cage to have room to stay away from the kits, so we'll see how this litter goes. <br /><br /> -- Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:10 pm -- <br /><br /> Ok, one last question (I hope, for awhile....).

At what age do the rabbits need access to their own water? The first set of kits is big enough now that I would feel perfectly comfortable leaving them in with the doe, but I don't want to leave them in the nesting box in there, because of the issue of the size of the cage. I only managed to build one cage this weekend (experimenting with how I wanted to build it as I went) and that one is holding the doe who kindled second. The plan was to build a second cage this weekend for the first doe and give her her kits back, but I'm hoping that these little guys aren't going to need their own food and water sooner than that.

Anyway, an update for those following this little saga. All three surviving kits from the first litter are still surviving. The second little was seven kits as well, and they are now about two days old and all of them are still alive. I haven't seen the doe in the box since she kindled, but I'm assuming that she's been feeding them because I swear those thins have doubled in size already and look to be well fed. The first doe has gotten used to having the kits brought to her for feedings, the first time or two she was going crazy at the cage when she saw the nest box but now she's been nice and backs away from the side of the cage where I put in the box when I bring it out. The kits have a good bit of fur now and have pushed the fur away from the nest, (guess they were getting too warm) and that exposed the bottom, which showed it needed cleaned out, so I replaced the nest bedding with clean hay. 10 babies isn't so bad, I guess.

So, all ten are still doing well, growing like crazy. They all seem to be eating (Drinking, I'm assuming, though I haven't seen it yet), they are eating the pellets, the oats, the greens, the hay, everything I give the moms they seem to be doing their best to eat it all.

They no longer seem to spend any time in the nesting boxes, does that mean that I should remove the boxes? Or leave them in for a little while in case any of the babies need a place to retreat?

Back