New Rabbitry

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use hanging cages as well. to stop 99% of the swinging take 16 ga wireform one corner of the wire cage to the 2X4rafter above the oppsite corner forming an X on allsides i have 2 runs 8 ft long with cages hanging from them, both sides and the back have X wire for stablity. have a new zeland and callifornian bucks that do the indy 500 an the lower cages only move maby 1/2 in. the plstic sheets sound like a good idea> Iues that plastic corragated roof stuff at an angle to keep the does from getting a golden shower.Its HOT here so in the summer I use fans and ice bottles to keep them cool
P.S. I have the lower cages wired to the 4X4 support posts for the bottem cagesand i have them crossed as well.Those are harder cause i dont have the rafters. if you had a second row it would be easy for you.

Looks great! Now, make sure that you get rabbits that are house similarly...they will acclimate better. Tell me again what you are raising for? Meat? Show? We aren't too far from you and I have Cals, NZW and Rex.

Really shooting for the exceptional bunnies to show and the culls for meat. that seemed the most efficient to me. This way I can eat the culls instead of worry about selling for pets and such.

Would it be possible to build a ramp or something for poo and pee to drain off to the back, and add a second row of cages underneath that? I really like this set up

Yes you could add a second row of cages if you like. I am going to expand to using the other long wall and have a pathway between the rows of cages. I do like not having to clean anything underneath the top row of cages. Maintenance is a little easier with only having 1 row of hanging cages.

Use 1/2" electrical conduit through all of the top/fronts of your cages. You'll not have any problems with "cage-sag". It's relatively cheap and works like a champ. I use heavy zip-ties to hold the conduit in place.

SANY0046.jpg

grumpy.

Duckcomando":3tmy07yp said:
Yes you could add a second row of cages if you like. I am going to expand to using the other long wall and have a pathway between the rows of cages. I do like not having to clean anything underneath the top row of cages. Maintenance is a little easier with only having 1 row of hanging cages.

I prefer this myself, as well. It is so much easier just letting the poop "fall where it may" ... :)<br /><br />__________ Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:33 am __________<br /><br />
Duckcomando":3tmy07yp said:
Really shooting for the exceptional bunnies to show and the culls for meat. that seemed the most efficient to me. This way I can eat the culls instead of worry about selling for pets and such.

Well, if you are still thinking Rex, I have some very nice ones at the moment. I also have some really nice Cal babies coming up.

__________ Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:33 am __________

Duckcomando":1503uenc said:

Well, if you are still thinking Rex, I have some very nice ones at the moment. I also have some really nice Cal babies coming up.[/quote]

What color rex do you have and what age?

Duckcomando":167ccj3v said:
What color rex do you have and what age?

I have Black, Broken Black, Blue and Broken Blue that are about 12 wks old right now. I have a Chocolate doe bred to a Chocolate buck due in a few days and a Lilac doe bred to a Broken Black due in a few days.

Back