New Mother not Nursing

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdhands

Reaction score
Hi Everybody!

My 8 mo. old SF doe just kindled a week ago. Today we found her (2) kits dead. Here's the situation:

It's an indoor colony with buried 30 gal totes. The tote she chose has 8" pipes on either end. She made a really nice nest, then industriously blocked up and buried one pipe entrance, had her kits a day or two later, and then blocked the other one. I was afraid she wouldn't be able to dig her way back in, so once a day I would take the top off the tote and unblock one entrance. She would jump in and I'd put the top back on, hoping she'd nurse them and then come out and block it again. It was hard to tell exactly what was happening, but she seemed to be prioritizing keeping it blocked over feeding them. Anyway, now they're dead.

I know the first kindling rarely works out, but any comments or ideas?

The colony has other totes, is 10x10, has two other does and a buck.

Hi Everybody!

My 8 mo. old SF doe just kindled a week ago. Today we found her (2) kits dead. Here's the situation:

It's an indoor colony with buried 30 gal totes. The tote she chose has 8" pipes on either end. She made a really nice nest, then industriously blocked up and buried one pipe entrance, had her kits a day or two later, and then blocked the other one. I was afraid she wouldn't be able to dig her way back in, so once a day I would take the top off the tote and unblock one entrance. She would jump in and I'd put the top back on, hoping she'd nurse them and then come out and block it again. It was hard to tell exactly what was happening, but she seemed to be prioritizing keeping it blocked over feeding them. Anyway, now they're dead.

I know the first kindling rarely works out, but any comments or ideas?

The colony has other totes, is 10x10, has two other does and a buck.
Rabbits I. The wild will dig a small hole then cover it with grass and other things to mask it..she's doing the same thing and would probably like to go through the holes she should be able to unblock what she's put in the pipes no problem

Latest posts

Back