New litter of 11!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckinguy

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Thursday I was off work and puttering around in the garage for a bit in the afternoon, no fur to be seen in the nestbox. I went inside for about an hour and I came back out to a wiggling nestbox full of fur and popples! I pulled the nestbox out, took it into the kitchen and started checking it out. I thought there might be six or eight but they just kept coming out. 11 born, all alive and well! They've even survived the cold we've had the last couple of days. I pulled the nestbox this morning because I didn't see any movement but they were all alive and cozy in the nest. All the water bottles were frozen solid, mind you!

I only have three does I'm breeding right now so I don't have one to foster some kits but we'll take what nature gives us, hopefully most (or all!) survive. My does so far have been excellent mothers so I'm hoping for the best!

Attachments

• litter11-1.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 1,499
ll, and all look fat and healthy....With some good milk production from the doe they should all do well... looks like they got a good feeding last night.

Wow! ELEVEN? And all looking good! That must be an awesome doe, Truckinguy! The one at top, just to the right of the pink one looks like it may have some interesting markings... Too early to be sure, of course.

CONGRATULATIONS!

:wbounce:

Silver Star, they are New Zealands.

This doe is a lucky one. She was one of what I thought were four bucks (oops) last year until she started giving birth in the corner of the cage. I grabbed her out of the cage in mid birth and three born and put her in a nestbox, whipped some wire together to make a quick cage and put her in it. A few minutes later she had six fat kits in the nestbox and looked quite pleased with herself. This is her third litter since then, fourth overall.

The funny thing is, when I put her in with the buck, she didn't move a muscle. I mean literally! I had to move her bum to the middle of the cage so he could mount her. He fell off three times so I guess she lifted for him enough to do the deed. (Go Stanley!)

She is the daughter of Ebony. Those of you from HT might remember last summer I posted about Ebony losing a litter and being paralysed for a week or so then passing away.

Maggie, that kit will likely be a steel, black with brown tips.

Wow~ what a pile! Good goin momma bun.
Looks like they are all fat and sassy.
B~

Nice chubby litter. :) She should be ok to raise 11 - I had two commercial does a couple of years back that had 11 and 12 each, then had 2 more kits each fostered to them. They never missed a beat or lost a kit. :D

Yup, momma is free fed while lactating. My does usually eat and drink like a horse while nursing. I guess their metabolism is in full hyper drive!<br /><br />__________ Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:26 am __________<br /><br />Down to 10 now but the ten are fat and sassy with full bellies! One pink one looked poorly a couple of days ago so I wasn't surprised. Fingers crossed!

Latest posts

Back