New here and looking for specifickind of pelts

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SillyRabbit

Reaction score
Who knew it would be so hard to identify a particular pelt that I have? I'm trying to match a pelt I've had for years that I used as a mock up for a project. I purchase more pelts, 2 kinds for comparison, only to learn that the original is definately NOT a Rex.

The orginal strip is black and I assume dyed because the skin is black as well. If it were natural color I would think the skin would be white (or darker gray). The fur has an undercoat, and is longer than the Rex. The rex was way to short and no undercoat, and seemed thiner, not dence like many descriptions state. I also bought a Domestic European Rabbit Pelt, and the length was right, about an inch, but again no thick undercoat.

The original I literally cut a snip off with scissors and barely had any fallout, a minor tuft or two. The skin is pretty thick, again in comparison and the hair length is about an inch, maybe a titch longer. The Rex & DER, I cut carefully with a blade so as to not cut the hair, it didn't matter how careful I was, but I can't use it anyway.

Sorry, I know this is long, and know more info would be elicited. Ive spent days looking for this pelt description to no avail. Does anyone know what kind of rabbit pelt I have? Or offer suggestions? I would really like to find more.

Hello and welcome. How about a good photo? Hope guys with more knowledge will be along soon to answer your questions.

The thick skin indicates it was a mature rabbit. Maybe it was an angora that had been harvested for fiber and the coat was partly grown back.

Yup, I was thinking adult angora with the mention of the undercoat. Angoras can have three separate coats on them at the same time. If they've not been sheared, then they'll be at different lengths, but if the angora had been sheared then perhaps it would have a pelt like that. They do have a gray skin, not so much a black skin, though. Was it just as black on both sides of the skin?

Americans have a very dense coat. They used to be real popular for fur and meat. They were basically replaced with New Zealands and Rexs. They come in Blue and White. Quick test for a Possible American is to rub the fur against the grain. An American will return to original position by itself. White was the most popular because they are easily dyed. Thats about all I can tell you from your description.

Back