New Dream Rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaxmarblebuns

Reaction score
quick story: my grandfather raised and showed rex rabbits throughout the 80s into the early and mid-90s. He focused most on the tri colors and is one of the few reasons that color pattern still exists. (His name was Paul Warden he showed in Washington mostly. Most people at shows that hear his name are like “oh ya I remember him”) in about 2005 my family started raising rex rabbits for meat only getting castor, opal, and the occasional off color like fawn or black. Then fast forward to about 2010 when I first saw a tri rex at a rabbit show and instantly fell in love (this was before knowing my grandfather’s involvement in the breed/color). I have wanted one ever sense and finally got one about two weeks ago, so without further a due say hello to koi, the 1-year-old tri color rex buck.

He is timid as he was a meat breeder, so personality wasn’t the mane goal, but he has started warming up to me. As of right now he is just a pet but if his health checks out, I may breed him to one of are cals to see what colors I may get. That actually brings up a question I’ve had, is the Californian color gene dominate? I feel like it may be.

Attachments

• IMG_3160[1].JPG
    IMG_3160[1].JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3161[1].MOV
    19.2 MB
  • IMG_E3139[1].JPG
    IMG_E3139[1].JPG
    141 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3124[1].JPG
    IMG_3124[1].JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 14
We have three Cali's and have toyed with the idea of a good first cross. It would be Rex or Giant French Lop because I would like to improve even more on temperament. Please let us know what you get.

As of right now he is just a pet but if his health checks out, I may breed him to one of are cals to see what colors I may get. That actually brings up a question I’ve had, is the Californian color gene dominate? I feel like it may be.

Take what I'm saying with a grain of salt since I am new to rabbit genetics. I believe that the coloration of a California is considered recessive in the C locus. REW is most recessive and California is one above that. Below is a table I've made for the C locus (most to least dominant) from gathering info across this site and websites this forum has recommended.

AlleleResultExamples
CFull color, normal markColor spread over the entire rabbit instead of restricted to a certain part of the rabbit. Affected by E locus.
cchdDark shadedChinchilla
cchlLight shadedSable
chHimalayanCalifornia
cAlbinoREW (red-eyed white/ruby-eyed white)

So I believe you would be less likely to see the California points but it entirely depends on the genetics of your gorgeous tri.

Back