New Cage Adventure - Ladysown please read!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Facebook is being broken, so no pics yet...

I traded Karma for cages. 4 rows of cages, 8 cages to a row, 24x16 inches.

They were delivered today, and now I have no idea what to do with them...

182894_10151584379747319_953477815_n.jpg

182977_10151584380142319_1752959952_n.jpg

Well, I might be new to the scene here, but it sounds to me like it's time for more bunnies :lol:

You could always send them to me! :p

Why not buy some steel stakes (the flat kind used to make concrete forms), pound them into the dirt in that nice shaded area, and then wire the cage banks to them? Conveniently, the steel stakes already have holes for tie wire, so it is piece of cake to set them up. :)

That's what I did with my growout pens, and then I covered the tops with feed bags cut open to make "tarps" to keep the rain and snow off the buns. I'm going to replace it with shade cloth (elevated above the cages so they can't destroy it) for the hot months since they are pretty exposed to the sun.

Well, in my opinion, the cages themselves are too small, really. I'm planning on removing at least one divider, and making them larger. I also was only expecting 2 rows, but he brought 4.

The bottom panel is stretched steel, I think my mom called it. pretty heavy duty stuff, I don't know that I can cut it.

They all have holes where a nest box would be attached, so I'm going to have to patch those, and hay racks that the babies would be able
to easily escape through.

The original plan was to turn them into runs for the yard, so the rabbits could graze and whatnot. I can't set up all 4 like that, though.

I was thinking about hanging them, I do have 2 panels of tin left over from when the shed roof was re-done, and then I could make them little houses to hide in, in case of coons or fishers or cats or dogs.

Quite an interesting turn of events. I won't be able to use them until Wednesday at the very earliest, as the hardware store had no j-clips, but is ordering them in.<br /><br />__________ Fri May 17, 2013 5:22 pm __________<br /><br />My hands are hurting from removing j-clips to make the sections bigger.

My dad helped me take apart some cages. He used something called a "rotozip" to remove the j-clips.

I used pliers with an angled head. Very very small, out of an electronics repair kit, that I could wiggle into the j-clip. Something like this.

images

I've been using a screwdriver to pry the J-Clip up, then pliers to pull it off after that.<br /><br />__________ Sat May 18, 2013 8:18 pm __________<br /><br />Well, I figured out a better trick... since I'm not too worried about saving the divider wire, I've been shoving the screwdriver between the divider and the main cage wire, and prying up, which usually springs the clip enough to completely remove it.

I also discovered that the stretched steel along the bottom is cut into 2 sections, which means I can divide the cages into 2 rows like I originally wanted!

So far so good. I got the dividers removed from one cage, and that cage split in half. Then I got a lot of clipping done on another cage. In the end, I will have 6 groups of 2 cages, with each cage being 32x24. One row is being sacrificed to do some hole patching, and I haven't decided if the cages are going in the shed, or outside, or some in each place.

Now, should I put something else on the floor of the cage? The cage itself is made of 1x1 wire, so I don't think I have to do anything with that, but as far as the bottom goes, I'm pretty sure any rabbit under about 3mths is going to get its feet caught in it!

Bad Habit":2s5fa99i said:
Now, should I put something else on the floor of the cage? The cage itself is made of 1x1 wire, so I don't think I have to do anything with that, but as far as the bottom goes, I'm pretty sure any rabbit under about 3mths is going to get its feet caught in it!

Please oh Please use 1x1/2 flooring wire !!!!! Even rabbits over 3 months can get their feet caught.

( apologies for incessantly harping on Not using 1x1 for a floor ( unless it is right on the ground)... i have Never forgotten the loss of a couple of Very Nice rabbits way back when....)

No no, you misunderstand. The cage floor is stretched steel(my mom called it that), with a diamond shape. But the gaps seem to be about 1" at the widest. The rest of the cage is 1x1, and I don't think I will have to put any baby saver wire on there, I don't think a baby could get out such a small hole.

Well, kits can get their feet stuck in 1/2x1, with that diamond floor, you will ~need~ a resting board.
Small holes seem to equal fast added weight with breeders that I keep finding. You can wean litters in them or use as QT cages, keep rabbits about to be sold or moved in them or make a sick bay. Or just cut out a divider and use as a regular cage.

If it's what I think it is, the rabbit lady at TSC said it's pretty bad on small rabbits. I considered using it some of it for larger cages, but felt it and wasn't very happy with how it felt on my skin. Unlike welded hardware cloth (round wires), it's actually sheets of metal that have been "slit and stretched" (rough edges).

Is it possible to put small wire over it on the cages that will house kits? Or to just entirely replace the bottoms throughout? I can think of a half dozen better uses for that diamond mesh than rabbit cages...

Expanded steel. :)

Get a ruler and measure that floor wire. Point to point, and point to point. And do feel it and some regular floor wire. RJ's right. They perforate it and stretch it.

I dunno, it seems fairly smooth to me, not rough to the touch and the edges aren't sharp. It's flat, and other than the large holes, I think it's excellent flooring potential, as it provides a much wider surface for the feet. I've felt it compared to the wire floor on my all wire cage, and I'd rather lean on the diamond shaped stuff than the square stuff.

I am still looking into something else for the floor, as well as, not instead of. I do have fairly limited resources - I mean, I had to have the hardware store order in cage clips! I can't find latches anywhere, either, although I may just be not searching the right thing.

I also need to look into waste collection systems. I like the idea of a dropping pan emptying into an eve's trough, and then into... something. Haven't gotten quite that far yet, lol.

Hello Bad Habit,
If I was you I would remove the flooring
and replace it with Half by One Floor wire.
It would cost more but definitely be in yours
and your Rabbits best interest. That free floor is
going to eventually cause you nothing bur grief.
Once you remove it perhaps you can use it for something else.
I wish you the best of luck with whatever choice you make.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Bad Habit":2g909y1y said:
I am still looking into something else for the floor, as well as, not instead of. I do have fairly limited resources - I mean, I had to have the hardware store order in cage clips! I can't find latches anywhere, either, although I may just be not searching the right thing.
The only places I know of that sell clips are Tractor Supply Company and Farm & Fleet. I've seen them at some Walmarts, too, for whatever reason.

Latches... :? I had to make my own. No one sold anything. I finally bought some spring-loaded clippy-type things at TSC. They didn't even have a name. But you squeeze something on the end and it opens like an alligator. Mine are inside in a secure building, though, so I'm more concerned with keeping rabbits in than pests out.

I don't know... you say the floor is smooth and doesn't have sharp edges. You are the one who is there and can see and feel it. It sounds like I'd be willing to give he stuff a chance, though... IF the dimensions of the holes were not way different from floor wire. :)

I'll take some close up photos of it, either today or tomorrow. I was thinking of getting something for the bottom, and putting it on under the diamond stuff, so their main pressure points are on the large, flat surfaces, rather than the smaller wire. One step at a time though! Dunno how much I'm going to accomplish today, I think I might have overdone it yesterday... my hands are a little swollen today, lol

Ladysown made a cage with expanded metal flooring for her doe Biscuit, and I don't believe she has had any problems. Biscuit is a Harlequin though, so is much larger than your Lionheads.

biscuit-s-new-accommodations-picture-heavy-t7850.html

To remove J-clips, I use a wire cutter to slide between the ends and then pry it apart.

IMG_1013.JPG

I would try to salvage the dividers because you can make even more cages from them. :p

no, the dividers are garbage. They've got holes in them, from where the previous owner made hay feeders, and most of them are patch jobs of smaller bits of wire anyway. I'm using them to help patch some of the holes, and to make doors. Losing a square or two will be no big deal, I just want it to be done!!

Ladysown's cage is right on the ground, though. I'm thinking I want to hang mine. If I put them on the ground, I'd be worried about the critters getting snowed in, lol.<br /><br />__________ Sun May 19, 2013 6:35 pm __________<br /><br />No progress to speak of today. Gave it a go and got maybe a dozen jclips removed before my hands cramped and I had to stop.

Back