New Babies! Colors?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a litter of six on the 20th :p I'm new to this colors thing... so I think I have most of them correct, but not sure. They are mix breed buns, mother is a Harli. Lionhead, father is a Broken Black Rex. I know their coats will continue to develop as they age, so I will post more pictures later on too if that helps.

image.php

So far, I'm thinking
#1- (Spots) Broken Black
#2- (Essen i.e. S.n.= Speckled nose) Broken Chestnut or black... He seems lighter than the others
#3- (Speckles) Broken Black
#4- I know Broken, maybe orange, fawn, cream... but they have dark brown/grey splotches on eyes, nose, side of belly, and back thighs.
also, #5 is the same, but a lighter version. :? Not sure if these marks would make them tricolors, or tort.

image.php

The problem child :D
At first I thought #6 was a simple black... but then on day 6 I went to take photos and he had little white flecks on the tips of his black coat?
What does this mean... seal, sable, agouti? I really have no clue...

Thanks, For all the Help :bunnyhop:

:welcomewagon: Hi Pancake in the River! Welcome to RT! :congratulations: on those beautiful new popples! :)

I tenatively agree with your colour identification and feel it is still too early to tell for sure.

Could you post pictures of the parents? Soft natural light is best to catch a rabbits true colour with a camera.

The reason I ask is because if your doe is a harli I would expect very different colours in a litter fathered by a black.

Ok, this is starting to make sense.

I believe your doe is a tort with the harlequin gene rather than being fawn based. This explains why you have so many blacks and not chestnuts. I think the fawn coloured kits will look like mom when they mature and be Torted harlequins and Torted tri's.

Okay thanks.
What about the little black guy? I've been looking at different websites and colors, but it seems they all have lighter bases with dark tips. what are so possibilities for this one? :shrug:

Have you considered that the silver gene could possibly be in there? It causes the guard hairs to be white in a colored coat (i.e. Silver Fox). Always fun when you look at the litter in comparison to you parents. Helps you learn a lot. :)

Latest posts

Back