new and doing some research

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MamaSheepdog":2c26hsxs said:
3mina":2c26hsxs said:
mystang89":2c26hsxs said:
:eek:fftopic3: but why do some people suggest heritage breeds for natural feedings instead of NZW and Cali's? My cali and NZW's grew up on pellets and were transitioned over to natural feed without a problem. I think I might be missing something :?

Because those two breeds were not developed for a forage diet and heritage breeds were. NZ and Cals were developed for an intense growth rate that isn't possible on a forage diet

Although they may not have been developed for it, it will be interesting to see how Mystang's litters do on it (if he ever gets any :pokeeye: )... although I think his plan is to feed the growouts pellets. :hmm:

Mystang, perhaps you could have two groups- one fed forage and one fed pellets, and compare the outcomes?

lol, if my NZW or cali ever decide to get prego I'll try it and see what the out come is. I would have to have 2 separate litters from each though. One cali litter on pellets and one cali litter on fodder just to compare the growth rate and then do the same with NZW.

mystang89":21afzqpr said:
lol, if my NZW or cali ever decide to get prego I'll try it and see what the out come is. I would have to have 2 separate litters from each though. One cali litter on pellets and one cali litter on fodder just to compare the growth rate and then do the same with NZW.
So hop to it :pancake: :mrgreen:

I think when you raise animals you are automatically selectively breeding based on your management style. So you can successfully raise meat rabbits on a natural diet, you just have to be really selective in culling and keeping the ones who do best on a pellet free diet.

mystang89":vu17sie7 said:
:eek:fftopic3: but why do some people suggest heritage breeds for natural feedings instead of NZW and Cali's? My cali and NZW's grew up on pellets and were transitioned over to natural feed without a problem. I think I might be missing something :?

Mine too.

Ivory":wpftfb98 said:
Corn can contain a toxin that kills rabbits so I'd be a bit worried about feeding it.

Really? I didn't know that. I give mine corn on the cob whenever its in the supermarket scraps and I have never seen any ill effects.

Thanks for letting me know though, I had no idea. Scratch corn then.[/quote]

The 'toxins' people are thinking of (mycotoxins) can occur with ANY improperly dried grain. It is a group of toxins produced by molds that will grow if the grain is not stored/dried properly. This is one of the resaons for so many dog and cat food recalls. Dried corn is very prevalent in everything produced for animal and human consumption. Fresh corn is not an issue.

Latest posts

Back