new and doing some research

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonygarden

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new here and new to rabbits. After getting a free rabbit hutch I have started doing research on rabbits on care, feed, etc. before I actually purchase any bunnies. I am wanting to raise either Californians or New Zealand whites for meat.

My question is: What veggies can I grow specifically for the rabbits? I am wanting to raise rabbits as naturally and inexpensively as possible. I have done a lot of reading here on feeding a grain supplement with alfalfa cubes/hay and a grass/clover/timothy hay, along with the mineral bricks, etc. I have seen the list of what is good & bad for them to eat but I didn't see a lot of veggies on that list, just lots of wild plants/weeks.

I have an area where I would like to grow a small patch of hay and another area for rabbit veggies.

Thanks!

I am wanting to raise rabbits as naturally and inexpensively as possible
Then I would not recommend Californians or New Zealands unless the breeder also uses a forage based diet. These two breeds of rabbits do best on a high protein rabbit pellet and generally dont to so well on forage.

Some heirloom breeds and mixed breed rabbits that were bred specifically to do well on a forage based diet would be the way to go. Many members here have been developing their own meat rabbits to live on pasture or hay alone and perhaps some are close to you and can sell you some stock or give you an idea of how they started their line.

Here are some of the garden vegetables I feed my rabbits:
Pea plants and shells
Bean plants and immature pods NOT mature seeds, they are toxic
Kale
Swiss Chard
Spinach
Squash - leaves and fruit
Beet greens
Carrot greens
Raspberry canes
Rose trimmings

Here is a link to a more complete list - http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html

From what I've been told and read feeding vegi's to them is ok but shouldn't be a main source of feed. It should be more like an occasional snack. If you have chickens then just consider vegi's for rabbits as scratch is to chickens.

That being said though I've given my SF's, Cali's and NZW the occational snack. I know they like to eat carrot tops and lettuce. I'm sure they'd probably eat the root of the carrots (the actual carrot which we eat) but I haven't tried it. They haven't eaten cantalope for me yet. They did eat the ferns of the asparagus when it got too big and thick to eat. They'll eat cabbage too.

Like I said in the first paragraph though, none of these should be used as a main source of feed. Many of them contain too much sugar to be given too often anyway.

My buns mostly eat their hay but I do give them an occasional veggie every now and then like spinach or kale and puree pumpkin. Stay away from broccoli as it makes them very gassy and can cause bloat and other problems. It's on a few lists so I had no idea and found out the hard way :/

There's a reason you don't see many veggies on those lists. Rabbits are herbivores not vegetarians, veggies are occasional treats not a staple diet.
If you're just starting raising rabbits I would recommend you stick with just pellets until you get over the learning curve and have a bit more experience learn your stock first, then the different feeding regimes.
And welcome :)

Hi Stonygarden!

I raise standard Rex, and started out with pellets only, eventually added hay, and then started feeding a mix of grains as one meal, and gave pellets as another. I fed twice daily to prevent feed scratching. When I started adding greens and weeds, I fed hay first and then about a half hour later gave them the fresh greens so they already had taken the edge off of their hunger.

For your bunny garden, think weeds and herbs. Dandelion, Shepherds Purse, plantain, basil, oregano, rosemary, etc.

Rabbits also love sunflowers- the whole plant (above ground) can be fed, and I like to dry the mature stalks for winter treats. Don't forget trees- I just purchased some willows and a weeping mulberry. They grow quickly, and the branch prunings and leaves are good fodder.

:hi: to RT! I hope you enjoy the forum. You will find a wealth of information here, and years of combined experience from our helpful and friendly members! :)

Thank you all for your input! I knew that I would have to slowly change over from pellets to forage/natural feed but I will now narrow my search for rabbits to breeders who feed forage. Thanks for the link as well.

Welcome to Rabbittalk! :welcomewagon:

3mina's right... rabbits are herbivores, not vegetarians, and that is why you don't see much in the way of vegetables on the list. :)<br /><br />__________ Mon May 06, 2013 12:04 pm __________<br /><br />You may have trouble finding a breeder who feeds forage. You may just want to get a heritage breed (one of the old breeds that would have been developed before pellets), and slowly switch them over to forage. :)

I feed a lot of whole grain, wheat, barley, oats, peas, and lentils. Every fall I go over to a local farmer and clean out his grain bins and pick up any spilled feed. Most of the rabbits much prefer this to rabbit pellets - I always give them both so they have a choice - I also feed a lot of hay and grass and dandelions in summer. Once a week or so I go to a local supermarket and pick up a couple of boxes of discarded fruit and veg for them.

I have a friend who feeds his rabbit exclusively on barley and hay, or grass in summer, and they seem to do very well on it.

Another friend feeds rolled grain and no commercial rabbit pellets, they do very well too.

I have yet another friend who feeds mostly hay, he has NZWs, and they do very well on it.

A couple of years ago another friend decided she was going to feed her rabbits exclusively grass and weeds over the summer, I wouldn't recommend that, they were in terrible shape when I saw them.

Maybe you could find a local farmer who'd let you collect any spilt grain, corn would probably be great, I'd stay away from soy though.

Whatever you decide to feed them, keep a close eye on their condition and change the diet accordingly.

Ivory":3ddfmx88 said:
I feed a lot of whole grain, wheat, barley, oats, peas, and lentils. Every fall I go over to a local farmer and clean out his grain bins and pick up any spilled feed. Most of the rabbits much prefer this to rabbit pellets - I always give them both so they have a choice - I also feed a lot of hay and grass and dandelions in summer.

Hi Stony! Another Virginian here. I quoted Ivory as I also give a lot of grains and grasses. I also feed a lot of weeds. I am growing a rabbit garden including beets, turnips, lettuce, and some herbs, but those will be supplements, and not the main diet for my buns.

I will add that if you give a varied diet you will save on pellet costs. I just try not to load mine up on the same things all the time. I offer a wide variety on a daily basis with a few daily staples- hay, oats, pellets.

Welcome to RT!

Ivory":1r4soo9z said:
Maybe you could find a local farmer who'd let you collect any spilt grain, corn would probably be great, I'd stay away from soy though.

Whatever you decide to feed them, keep a close eye on their condition and change the diet accordingly.
Corn can contain a toxin that kills rabbits so I'd be a bit worried about feeding it.

3mina":2i9amzma said:
Ivory":2i9amzma said:

Corn can contain a toxin that kills rabbits so I'd be a bit worried about feeding it.

Really? I didn't know that. I give mine corn on the cob whenever its in the supermarket scraps and I have never seen any ill effects.

Thanks for letting me know though, I had no idea. Scratch corn then.

I think it's got something to do with feed corn in really wet years but I don't know for sure, "people feed" corn is sold fresh not dried like feed corn so it wouldn't have the same issue I don't think

:eek:fftopic3: but why do some people suggest heritage breeds for natural feedings instead of NZW and Cali's? My cali and NZW's grew up on pellets and were transitioned over to natural feed without a problem. I think I might be missing something :?

mystang89":3eobfaru said:
:eek:fftopic3: but why do some people suggest heritage breeds for natural feedings instead of NZW and Cali's? My cali and NZW's grew up on pellets and were transitioned over to natural feed without a problem. I think I might be missing something :?

Because those two breeds were not developed for a forage diet and heritage breeds were. NZ and Cals were developed for an intense growth rate that isn't possible on a forage diet

3mina":1n5dk3cl said:
mystang89":1n5dk3cl said:

Because those two breeds were not developed for a forage diet and heritage breeds were. NZ and Cals were developed for an intense growth rate that isn't possible on a forage diet

Although they may not have been developed for it, it will be interesting to see how Mystang's litters do on it (if he ever gets any :pokeeye: )... although I think his plan is to feed the growouts pellets. :hmm:

Mystang, perhaps you could have two groups- one fed forage and one fed pellets, and compare the outcomes?

skysthelimit":1513r95y said:
someone else here is raising cal and SF on pasture.
I couldn't remember if anyone here was raising Cals or NZ on pasture or forage or grains.

But... now I'm wondering how long pellets have been around. It looks like rabbit pellets may have been developed before I thought they were. I thought probably 1930s or 40s.

Cals were developed in the 1920s. NZs were already around.

Sounds to me like Cals and NZ probably do fine naturally fed, but they likely would not reach their full potential. Which, if you're trading somewhat slower growth for free or very cheap food, would not be a bad thing.

Modern Cals and NZ have been selected almost exclusively on pellets, I imagine, but I don't see any reason they couldn't be naturally fed.

MamaSheepdog":1osjomei said:
3mina":1osjomei said:
mystang89":1osjomei said:

Although they may not have been developed for it, it will be interesting to see how Mystang's litters do on it (if he ever gets any :pokeeye: )... although I think his plan is to feed the growouts pellets. :hmm:

Mystang, perhaps you could have two groups- one fed forage and one fed pellets, and compare the outcomes?

Well this is super interesting to me as well. I've had my rabbits for about 4 months now. I am the proud owner (since yesterday upon which I acquired 2 CA does) of 10 juvenile bunnies. I could start a whole topic of sexing rabbits while purchasing, etc. My quest was to feed organic, which in a way steers into your search for the perfect natural feed.

I researched my local organic hay source, and my local(ish) organic pellet. I too did not get the whole pellet thing, why can't we feed them a bit more "greenish stuff" that is not processed in a mill. Though mine still get pellets, they mostly prefer the sprouted grains. I sprout the following and mix them.

• 2 cups Soft White Wheat
    1 Cup of Barley
    1/2 Cup of BOSS - Black Oil Sunflower Seeds
Clean and rinse wheat and barley first then add sunflowers as they float.

Now then, there are so many different ways to do this, some elaborate while others are simple and cute. I myself am approaching the elaborate phase due to bunny count, possible new job (PS I had NO idea how much they eat!!!) and I have one doe with 9 kits. So, don't let me sway you, go look up fodder on this site and check out all the ways of sprouting grains. If these people don't pull your chain, then read this article: http://hydroponics.com.au/free-articles/issue114-rabbits-rabbits-everywhere-rabbits.

I hope that puts you on the path of natural feeding. http://rabbittalk.com/fodder-sprouting-systems-anyone-t10317.html?hilit=fodder natural feeding Here's hoping MaggieJ can add to this. posting.php?mode=quote&f=11&t=14813&p=161973#

Oh, I almost forgot, I had no idea that these guys were developed primarily for non-forage foods, but that does make sense. I will look into some heritage breeds if these guys don't do very well come harvest day. Thank you so much for the info.

Latest posts

Back