Netherland Dwarf with Green eyes???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beckyhuff314

Reaction score
So I have a little Charlie kit. We just noticed he has green eyes. Has anyone ever seen this in a Netherland dwarf? Both parents are pedigreed and neither has ever produced kits with green eyes. I am trying to get a good pic of them but you just can't see how green they are in the pic.

I definitely want to see a pic! I have no idea what would cause that, but it sounds like it would be pretty!

Yes, pics please!!

Are you sure he's not just young enough that his eyes are still changing color? I find they eye color seems to darken on my kits until about eight to ten weeks old.

Here are a couple pictures of him. I tried all day to get a pic. He is 5 1/2 weeks old. His eyes are more green in person. The pictures don't even come close to how his eyes look in person. I will keep trying. His mom is a Broken/Charlie Tort with Blacks and Torts behind her. and dad is a Black otter with blue, black and chocolate otters and blacks behind him.

Attachments

• 2014-01-21 14.11.47.jpg
    2014-01-21 14.11.47.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 1,351
  • 2014-01-21 14.10.06.jpg
    2014-01-21 14.10.06.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 1,351
This kit looks like a Charlie but genetically that's not a possibly since his father was solid, therefore I theorize that he is actually a broken Vienna marked and this is the reason for his odd eyes. Perhaps they are transitioning to blue? Or he could be chinchilla / shaded/ chocolate and this is messing up a clear blue eye colour.

Hopefully others who breed Vienna's and brokens will offer their opinions.

It looks kinda blue to me...
I'm not really sure about it, but I've heard that chocolate can change the the tint of the blue eyes that vienna's have.

A full top and side picture would be very helpful. BEWs can have odd effects on eye color, any where from a purple looking eye to light blue. Adding in chocolate doesn't help as they often have a ruby glow to their eyes. BEWs can make brokens look like charlie's, there's also the possibility that the "solid" dad isn't really solid. I've come across a few heavy marked brokens, wouldn't know they were except for a small spot of white and they had a broken parent.

The eyes look gray to me. Maybe in better lighting. Did you use a flash?

The baby is a Charlie marked. I have never gotten a Charlie marked baby from them. Just a tiny bit of eyeliner and spots behind each ear. I tried taking the pics with and without flash. As far as I know Dad has no blue eyes in his back ground, he came from a pretty good breeder as did great grandma as I have her as well. I have bred them before and nether one has ever had babies with anything other then brown eyes. Both of the siblings have brown eyes. I might have to call the breeder. This litter has a Black otter, a Broken black otter, and then this little Charlie marked.

Attachments

• 2013-05-21 08.51.29.jpg
    2013-05-21 08.51.29.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 1,297
  • 2013-05-21 09.01.43.jpg
    2013-05-21 09.01.43.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 1,297
  • 2014-01-21 14.15.08.jpg
    2014-01-21 14.15.08.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 1,297
  • 2014-01-21 14.14.47.jpg
    2014-01-21 14.14.47.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 1,297
...the odd ball ears are a vm sign. I've never seen that type of marking on any thing but a vm. So it looks like you have a vm broken false charlie....now what color exactly is hard for me to say, picture makes it look chocolate like. I'm familiar with this showing up on Mini Rex and Holland Lops, not so much Netherlands. My vms in Netherlands always had bi color eyes or dutch like patterns.

The kit is a false Charlie and has only one broken gene. By calling them "Charlie marked" you could confuse people into thinking the rabbit has two broken genes and will only produce broken kits

Are the parents named Tink and Toby?

If so, then one of them carries chinchilla (or shaded) and the other carries himilayan or REW so the green could indeed be a result of a chocolate chinchilla mix.

Latest posts

Back