Nest boxes - Solid bottom or wire? Which do you have?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywalt

Reaction score
I'm going to build a new nest box and unsure if I should go with a solid bottom or 1/2" hardware cloth?

We had been using the wire bottom, but had the problem of the hay and fur being pushed through the bottom. Recently we tried a solid bottom, but then the kits get yucky from the pee and the bottom gets messy (with 1 week old kits).

What do you use? Solid bottom or wire? Why?

Thank you!

I use wire bottoms, heavily stuffed with hay before I give it to the doe to renovate to her liking. When I clean cages (daily), I notice a tiny bit of hay chaff on the slant board, but no big losses of hay.

For winter breedings, I staple a piece of cardboard to the underside of the wire. If it gets icky, I replace it.

I use wire bottoms (1x1/2). Kits can pee a LOT. The wire lets it drain and keep the nest relatively dry.

I have an indentation below the wire where I can fit cardboard. Sometimes the does can get it out. I may try staples if I'm expecting a litter in bitter cold.

We have wire bottom ones that we made. We just put a board under it in the cage. I have recently been looking at commercial ones, but they seem to be solid bottomed. I have the same concerns brought up here with those.

I use wire bottom too..We make our own so we can tailor it to the doe. We only breed in winter so I set the box on a piece of heavy card board, turn it over every couple of days and take it out when it is to wet.

Both.

It's easier to carry nests into the house when stuff isn't falling out of the bottom. Less likely kits get caught, less likely doe scratches all the bedding out.

Wire is more sanitary for both does and kits.

I have solid boxes. Heavy things made of scrap lumber. They take extra work to keep clean, and they get replaced frequently, but my babies didn't freeze when the temps hit -20 last year.

In northern climates solid boxes are more useful and especially heavy wood. They insulate well. Plus I would find it really irritating for all the bedding to fall out of my boxes. I just put a layer of pine pellets in the bottom and my kits have never gotten dirty. I have never had to change a box before they left it.

We have lots of scrap lumber from our sawmill so built our own with wire bottoms. We put in a layer of wood shavings from the planer, then fill it with hay. We're in the north but we take a break from breeding over the winter and when we started this spring and it was so cold we used the cardboard as others have mentioned. We don't see a lot of nest material leaking out through the wire and have only had to remove/replace shavings a couple times with large litters.

I have solid bottoms of several varieties, heavy wood ones I made, metal ones with coroplast inserts, and plastic dishpans. The wooden ones are slated for the trash, I've never used the metal ones (I keep forgetting I have them), and the dishpans work well

I made my own with the 1/2x1 wire on the bottom. Occasionally I have chaff that comes out the bottom, but I layer shredded paper on the wire, then pine pellets, then a straw/hay mixture. It worked well in both summer and winter.

I'm still in the planning stages, haven't yet gotten anything yet. But, how about instead of wire bottoms, using wood with a lot of holes drilled in it to drain the urine? I work in a commercial woodworking shop and have access to lots of scraps which I'm planning on putting to use. I won't be keeping a huge herd, maybe 2 does and a buck. I live alone and just want to supply some meat for my own use. So, anything I make from scrap is easily replaceable. I'm not bothered about how long something might last. I could easily throw together nest-boxes from scrap that should last at least 1 season. And, if I used solid with holes, they wouldn't cost me a thing. Thoughts?

Stephanie":1x3hgn3r said:
I'm still in the planning stages, haven't yet gotten anything yet. But, how about instead of wire bottoms, using wood with a lot of holes drilled in it to drain the urine? I work in a commercial woodworking shop and have access to lots of scraps which I'm planning on putting to use. I won't be keeping a huge herd, maybe 2 does and a buck. I live alone and just want to supply some meat for my own use. So, anything I make from scrap is easily replaceable. I'm not bothered about how long something might last. I could easily throw together nest-boxes from scrap that should last at least 1 season. And, if I used solid with holes, they wouldn't cost me a thing. Thoughts?

There isn't anything wrong with any way. I think, it's all about pros and cons for your individual situation.

All wood boxes will be a bit heavier, and a bit messier. Probably warmer though, and I like that my does can't tip them. I definitely feel I need to replace mine yearly, and if I were paying cash that would be a huge con. Free is nice.
I have only ever had one case of nestbox eye in my rabbitry, over the course of several years and a few 100 kits. I'm convinced the style of box, or how often I change material had nothing to do with it.

Just today I finished assembling two all-wire "maternity" cages. I'm using subterranean nest boxes (purchased from Bass Equipment here... http://www.bassequipment.com/Cage+Acces ... fault.aspx). The nest boxes are made of 1/2" x 1" wire (same as the cage floor but slightly lighter-gauge wire).

I cut an opening in the 1/2" x 1" floor at one end of the cage toward the back. Then J-clipped the nest box to the floor opening. The front of each nest box opens to allow for checking on the litter and removing dead kits.

I also purchased 1/4" thick plexiglass that has pre-drilled holes (about 3/16" holes on 1/2" centers) for drainage. I'll place a sheet of plexiglass on the floor of the nest box to help protect the kits from ending up on the wire at the bottom of the box. I do plan to scuff up the plexiglass pretty aggressively with a coarse wire brush. My concern is that, if the kits did end up on the plexiglass, they wouldn't get much footing on the slick plastic, which might lead to splayed feet.

I've heard that using subterranean nest boxes greatly reduces the risk the kits will be pulled out onto the wire floor by the doe when she exits the nest box.

Don't know. I raised NZW meat rabbits about 30 years ago. This is my first venture back into rabbits and I'm learning a lot from this forum!

I have two does due to kindle on July 9. Hope this works!!

Good luck with your project!

Latest posts

Back