Nest box eye

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dood

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I have never had a case in 3 years of breeding until now.

Only the kits from my new Californian buck are affected :( and it seems the himilayan marked ones are even more prone to the infection.

I know its been a brutaly cold winter but my guys are in a heated barn and the kits from neighbouring does are perfectly fine, even the REW ones.

I use to think it was a hygiene issue but not after these results and I am fairly certain this disorder is a heritable trait that can be weeded out of the gene pool with selective breeding.

Needless to say, this buck is off the breeding list and outta my barn ASAP - anyone in Southern Ontario want a proven Californian buck :mrgreen:

I agree, Dood. I had a particular doe that always had one kit with nest box eye. After a few repeats, I culled the kit and the doe.

DSCN2560.JPGI have a 2 1/2 wk old kit with nest box eye. I noticed they are out of the nest and like to stick their heads in the corner where mom has built up a mound of sticky poop and urine. I am treating the eye with chamomile tea washes. I also find the symptoms to agree with Silicea (homeopathic Silica). The eye is somewhat goopy, but the lids are swollen. The other kits are fine. She has had 2 other litters without this complication. I do believe it is an immunity problem and homeopathy is fantastic for speeding the healing response on the molecular level, rather than the tissue level.

Other members on here have noticed that it seems to be largely a heritable trait. It'll be a particular buck's kits, or a particular doe's kits... so some immunity issue being passed down. They cull the affected line, and the problem is gone.

I have seen nest box eye here maybe three times. We're slowly working out of that line. Hopefully, we eventually won't get it any more, either.

If you have a doe that is in all other ways perfect but she herself is blind on one side due to nest box eye as a kit, could you cull her kits hard for eye health and work it out of the line or cull the doe herself and not even try with her?

I agree that it seems to be something that can be inherited but how inheritable is it?

Back