Nearly done with the Rabbit House

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's neat Secuono. I've been pricing rolls of plastic here lately and good grief has that gone up!!!
Daaaannnnggggg! :shock:
But anyway, I know your going to enjoy that! Congrats! :)

I got two 3.5ml 12x50ft clear plastic rolls for only $25. So it's not terrible. Later on, I might make it more permanent with plastic, corrugated roofing panels.

I'm really excited! I can't wait to get cleaning tomorrow!

Going to use styrofoam board for the roof insulation. Expanding spray foam in the vertical board spaces [eventually replace lost 1x2in gap boards] and then use heavy, 6ml, clear plastic on the walls and the roof instead of using plywood or drywall. Easier to clean, cheaper, easier to install and all that good stuff.

But lots of poop and cobwebs to remove first...Then those roof panels and spray insulation. Hopefully I can finish half the building tomorrow to be ready for the 6ml film.

Also redoing my pasture pens, going back to tractor A-frames. They'll be wood frame, chickenwire wrapped with offset inside framed floor to stop dig out. One corner on a raised floor to keep them dry and with wood walls, 2x4ft in size for them all. I'll have a zillion of them to move around, but hoping this will work out better than all my past failure pens/tractors.

Here are the inspiration pictures I'll be blending to make the pens.

One side covered.
chicktractorside8-22-06.JPG

Solid or wire floor off the wet grass.
ChickenTractor1.jpg

And the offset bottom frame to stop digout.
6204917932_84dce92096.jpg

I like those A frame and the pvc tractors.
That foam board is nice stuff too. Cheap, effective and easy to work with!
Wow you got a great deal on the plastic. I wonder if 3.5 mil would work for my cold frame. I don't know, it gets pretty windy. I've been looking at the 6 mil. Its been about 25-30 dollars for the 10x25' roll. Last year it was about 20 bucks. Sadly I can remember spending 6 bucks at Lowes for it. [Sigh!]

Totally forgot I had lime to whitewash the building! So now, nearly all the walls are whitewashed, have one small section behind the 3 expecting does to do.
Need to go to Lowes and get more glue and styrofoam panels to finish the roof.
Sold one rabbit and a rooster at the swap, have 1 more roo to sell at the next swap along with 2 more rabbits. Another rabbit is pending. So I'll have the funds to finish!

__________ Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:33 pm __________

Got so much done!
Rearranged the cages, cleaned everything out and now just need to rip out a shelf to put in the 2nd three tier cage.

Thank you for sharing your pictures.
I like to get different ideas from other people :)

The last picture...is the cage attached to the wall ?
Or sitting on blocks of some kind.

I am going for stackers myself for the winter.
Plan here is to use some $ 1 plastic shower curtains to help protect
the walls.

Last picture, the shelf will be removed and my 2nd stacker [with the new rabbits] will be placed there. The rabbit in the white cage currently pictured will be moved over to the other wall under the light. I'll be stacking those two mix matched cages somehow....
I stacked the two 30x36 cages I had with one set of legs, it juuuuust fit. But need to add some wood so the top rabbit's waste doesn't fall into the 2 stacker below....Thought I did that, but clearly I was having a brainfart moment.

Actually, I should be removing that shelf right now, but my head is killing me today.<br /><br />__________ Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:47 am __________<br /><br />Shelf came out easy.
Doorway is half an inch too narrow!!! Bolts are rusted and nothing will pry them apart....ugh, of course....
Anyone seen my chisel???
Boy are they going to be angry, stressed out rabbits now....

Isn't that always the way? An inch to short, to narrow, to tall, to wide..... We just installed a new water heater which was 1 inch taller than the old one....no biggie then we got the old one out and its also juuuust enough wider to cause a lot of :evil: :badmood: :delete: from my hubs but it went in there and is now working. Yaaay! :D Then our brand new kitchen faucet croaked. :weep: Just replaced it last week. Life time warranty so it was free but...... thats TWO!!!
So now its back to home depot for another one and this time I think we'll get an old fashioned cheap one!!!
Did you find your chisel? :popcorn: :)

Secuono":3nou0tm7 said:
__________ Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:47 am __________

Shelf came out easy.
Doorway is half an inch too narrow!!! Bolts are rusted and nothing will pry them apart....ugh, of course....
Anyone seen my chisel???
Boy are they going to be angry, stressed out rabbits now....

There's a thing called Liquid Wrench you can soak the bolts with, it is pretty good. Or if you can't find that, I have used lime juice (the kind in the lime shaped squeeze bottle) and olive oil to loosen rusty pliers and such. The acetic acid breaks down the rust some, and allows the oil to get in. It's best to let it soak 24 hours though, at least the home-made version. Might be better than chiseling the bolts off, if you have the time.

Going to chisel the wood frame, not the bolts. Rabbits are all over the place right now until DH leaves for work, can't make a ton of noise while he's sleeping....

__________ Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:52 pm __________

He's awake!
I'll be outside burning off some anger!

__________ Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:09 pm __________

Got the cage stuck on the bottom cage, ended up kinda trapped in the building. A lady showed up to buy the last of my Cali rabbits. She helped me get it in and I'm so thankful for that!! Showed her and her daughter the other rabbits, she said she'll chat with her husband about the SF. Right before she left, she noticed the downed tree we've been trying to get someone, anyone, to chop up. Said she'll see if her husband can chop it up so they can use it in their wood burning fireplace. =D
Some rabbits are in new cages now, little SF growers are split into two in the three tier cage.
So tired and the TV won't work...
Fairly good and productive day!

__________ Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:14 pm __________

Was 29F last night, a doe kindled and they didn't make it. So windows are now blocked off with cardboard and then wood. I'll be laying the foam boards on the rafters as well as sticking them to the roof. Gotta get it ready for the 17th, going to be using the two heat lights in there with the door shut. Hopefully it will help keep newborns from freezing into ice as soon as they're born.
Going to whitewash all the 2x4s that aren't coated yet, then use spray foam in those cracks you see daylight coming through.

That cage will never be leaving the building, that's for sure...

Oh, on the left is a 4ft shop light, on a timer. On from 6am to 7pm. I'll be putting up a second 4ft shop light as well. Wish I could find a heat bulb that didn't put off light, but also didn't put off dangerous heat.

image.php

I was thinking in that tight spot you were working, that you might
want to make the cage smaller. So for example, if the cage was
30 by 36 inches, cut off the end. Then cut 1 or 2 inches off,
then put the end back on. So you would end up with a 30 by 34 inches.

?
The two tier cage? It's tight height-wise, not width. I was thinking of removing the shelf above it, but then it really doesn't change anything other than the top cage would need to be hung and then make a new poop board.

Which do you guys think is better? Continue to put the foam boards on the roof directly, or put them on the rafters, like pictured below?
If it's on the roof, I can store stuff up there, but that really isn't needed yet. Can divide it or change it later on...

image.php

Back