Near Disaster

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zinnia

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a beautiful REW buck. :love: He's not replaceable at this point. Better than all his offspring so far, so... He's my best stock.

Time to re-breed the best does.

I took my very best REW doe out of her hutch she shares with her 9 two month old kits. I put her in with the buck and did all the chores in the barn while keeping a bit of an eye and ear out for the big "Oof" telling me my buck's done his job. By the end of ten minutes I could see she wasn't interested. So I put the REW back and went about some other chores around the farm.

A few hours later, I returned to the barn and decided to try the next best doe, a Tort. She seemed in the mood and rubbed all over the wire... But when the buck checked her out, he was not interested. In fact, he started fighting with her. Having faith in my buck, I did not break up the fight. They would work it all, they always do.... But by the end of 5 minutes, I could see they were not interested in each other.

I took the Tort out and brought the next best doe to the buck's hutch. She's an Opal. The Opal immediately submitted to the buck, but he didn't want her. By now, I was seriously worried about his health. Did the REW doe injure him? He looked off. He looked angry. He must be hurt...

I felt him all over and looked at his tender parts... Which were missing! THIS WAS THE REW DOE!!! :doh: I'm lucky she didn't kill the other girls! :cry:

But... where was the buck? Oh, yeah. That SWEETHEART was just babysitting for all those kits I put him with when I thought HE was the REW doe. :angel: Never harmed them. He was just sharing their hay, happy to have some company. What a guy! But, what a near disaster!

But... where was the buck? Oh, yeah. That SWEETHEART was just babysitting for all those kits I put him with when I thought HE was the REW doe. :angel: Never harmed them. He was just sharing their hay, happy to have some company. What a guy! But, what a near disaster!

:lol:

That is a great story thanks for sharing.

:lol: :lol: :lol: That poor girl was probably wondering "what the heck is wrong with my human!!!" I wonder if the rest of the herd was snickering and thinking "just how long is this going to go on?" :x
Thanks for the laugh, I needed that! :lol: :lol:

I literally blushed in the barn ... :oops: I was so embarrassed. I actually went to each doe and apologized. I didn't think... it was just how I responded when I finally got a clue. Yes, Fara, the REW doe filling in for the buck was as close to rolling her eyes at me... or giving me the evil eye as a rabbit could be. You know that look that a doe gives you when she's ticked off at you? That's the look, only worse... there was that utterly disappointed in her hopeless human look. I felt shamed. :cry:

I was so shocked by my stupid mistake that I was speechless for a while.

At one point, early enough on to know better, I actually saw the tiny scar on Fara's nose and thought to myself "Huh, I guess the buck has a scar on his face too..." :insane: There's just no excuse. temporary insanity.

I am sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel bad.. :cry: I was laughing with you not at you..I only keep white does because I know I would do that same thing. My bucks are chico the chinchilla and Buster the big brown bunny. Not easy to mix up with the does..But I did keep back two chin does to grow out for next fall so I may be joining you on the :oops: bench. :)

Zinnia":23psa7qc said:
I've got a beautiful REW buck. :love: He's not replaceable at this point. Better than all his offspring so far, so... He's my best stock.

Time to re-breed the best does.

I took my very best REW doe out of her hutch she shares with her 9 two month old kits. I put her in with the buck and did all the chores in the barn while keeping a bit of an eye and ear out for the big "Oof" telling me my buck's done his job. By the end of ten minutes I could see she wasn't interested. So I put the REW back and went about some other chores around the farm.

A few hours later, I returned to the barn and decided to try the next best doe, a Tort. She seemed in the mood and rubbed all over the wire... But when the buck checked her out, he was not interested. In fact, he started fighting with her. Having faith in my buck, I did not break up the fight. They would work it all, they always do.... But by the end of 5 minutes, I could see they were not interested in each other.

I took the Tort out and brought the next best doe to the buck's hutch. She's an Opal. The Opal immediately submitted to the buck, but he didn't want her. By now, I was seriously worried about his health. Did the REW doe injure him? He looked off. He looked angry. He must be hurt...

I felt him all over and looked at his tender parts... Which were missing! THIS WAS THE REW DOE!!! :doh: I'm lucky she didn't kill the other girls! :cry:

I hate it when that happens! :?

That is really funny. Made me laugh even harder when you spoke about apologizing to all the gals in your next post. :lol: Maybe you can pay your buck for his baby-sitting service by giving him some time with the doe that was rarin' to go? :mrgreen:

REW buck had a date with the Tort doe. She was the first to recover from the shock of my mistake and begin, once again to trust that hutch as a a comfy love-shack. ;)

Fara, the REW doe still refuses to lift for the buck. That's the doe I really want to see get bred by him. Now, if she'll ever forgive me.....

I too had a near disaster today, though mine is more of a suicidal doe!
I have hanging cages that are about 4.5 ft off the ground (I am 6 ft and placed the door perfectly level with my shoulder for reaching in). One of my does has been using her marble rest as a toilet lately and since I plan to show her next month (she is my favourite and after much inspection seems to fit the description of a NZ best near as I can tell as a beginner) I had to remove it and clean out her poo "nest". I went to reach the peroxide spray bottle, left the door open as none of my buns seemed stupid enough to even consider escaping from that height (plus I was standing RIGHT THERE). I was wrong.

The SECOND my body moved from the door and I turned to the right, this doe took a flying leap! Thankfully, I have fast reflexes and caught her mid-flight. But she wasn't happy about that! She kicked the living tar out of me. My stomach STILL hurts from her furious kicks. :lol: Lesson learned. Some buns really are insane. :wr_tumble:

I can easily see how you mixed them up btw. I always have to double check testicles with my REW

I had a kit jump from 5 feet the other day. No harm at all, just jumped and started to take a hike. He's docile, so we caught him and put him back. I never underestimate the jump-urge anymore.

Back