natural feeding and breeding practices

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerbunny

Reaction score
I have been experimenting with feeding my bunnies like I do my horses (forage based diet with some whole grains) for several years, they are happy and healthy. It seems to me that your breeding program and feeding (and management) style are completely interlinked, as the animals that perform best under your care are going to be the ones you breed, so you are selecting those traits regardless of your plan but I don't hear people talking about this.

I also keep hearing about how purebred show rabbits aren't as vigorous as your crossbreds and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on having a breeding program that prioritized vigorous and healthy animals as well as the physical and temperamental traits that are desired in the breed.

any thoughts?

dangerbunny":3t93ibcv said:
I have been experimenting with feeding my bunnies like I do my horses (forage based diet with some whole grains) for several years, they are happy and healthy.

I have been doing the same with mine, but for months, not years. :) I might be getting close to a year now. :?

I feed barley, oats, and BOSS, as well as alfalfa hay and sometimes bermuda. Weeds and greens are given in season.

It seems to me that your breeding program and feeding (and management) style are completely interlinked, as the animals that perform best under your care are going to be the ones you breed, so you are selecting those traits regardless of your plan but I don't hear people talking about this.

Only because you are new to RabbitTalk! ;) That belief is widely held here, regardless of whether one feeds pellets or a grain and hay diet.

I also keep hearing about how purebred show rabbits aren't as vigorous as your crossbreds and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on having a breeding program that prioritized vigorous and healthy animals as well as the physical and temperamental traits that are desired in the breed.

I believe the whole idea of purebred animals not being as vigorous is a lie proliferated by animal rights groups to further demonize breeders and belittle the work that they do.

I breed standard Rex primarily, and bought my starter stock from a lady that has been breeding for 25 years, and has been a rabbit judge for 15. Not only do my rabbits have sweet temperaments, they are also very clean in their habits.

When I fed hay on the floor of the cage, they did not soil it, my does do not pee in their nests, and the majority of my rabbits do not soil the hanging plant pots that I use as an elevated resting area for them. A visitor to my barn also noted with surprise that the walls were not covered in urine spray- so my bucks are cleanly too.

From the discussions on this board, I believe that we all strive to have healthy, vigorous stock, and temperament is a high priority. Why would anyone want it any other way? Ease of management and friendly stock makes rabbit raising a pleasure instead of a chore.

And we are glad to have you!

:welcomewagon:

It sounds like you will fit right in with the rest of us! :p

dangerbunny":25rfjyv7 said:

any thoughts?

Hello there :)

I always wonder where this comes from, as my show stock is my meat stock, I bred back to back all summer until the dry spell hit (but I hear many people had that problem), my does deliver 7-12 kits every time with one breeding, raise all of their kits, and my instances of weaning enteritis basically stopped after I cull a particular doe. Now I am working on a faster maturing line, but I also know that may sacrifice coat quality in my Rex herd. My Silver Fox are fit for the show table and weighed in at 7lb at 8weeks.
The Woolys are show stock,sr doe has 1 sr leg, just had six kits, no peanuts for a litter, which is pretty nice for a dwarf, and is the sweetest thing I know.

As you said, breeders must breed for what they want, whether it's purebred or crossbred.

Latest posts

Back