natural feed vs store bought

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbitready

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm going to apologize in advance if this question has been asked before.
I recently adopted what most people are telling me is a mini Rex. I took it to the vet just to make sure that it was healthy and because it's poor nails were so long I wasn't comfortable clipping them myself for the first time....but that's beside the point
He told me that the rabbits that live the longest are the ones that are fed their natural type feed that they would eat in the wild. That the oats and grains we buy are really just for putting weight on rabbits used for meat.
I still have a bag of food that I feed my rabbit. 1/4 c a day as she is approximately 5 lbs and I also give her timothy hay.
I do give her beet tops, Brussels, parsley etc but I notice that it can make her poo very soft and clump together and stick to her butt, I assume that I have given her too much and have reduced the amount.
She hasn't been eating a lot of the hay lately and she has lost some weight (she needed to) but is he right and is there a way to give her more natural foods and not the grains?
If so how do I know what is the correct quantity to give her?
I certainly don't want to harm her in any way.

I tend to agree with your vet, but the "natural foods" he means are likely wild forages like healthy weeds and certain tree cuttings. You will find some of the best ones in this Safe Plants List:
safe-plants-for-rabbits-list-t55.html
The Latin names of the plants are included to make identification more exact. If you are not familiar with a plant please google the Latin name so that you get the right thing. When you consider that our domestic rabbits are descended from the wild European rabbit, it is not surprising that all those European invasive weeds that most people consider a nuisance are among the best foods for you rabbit.

Certain plants - plantain. shepherd's purse, the leaves of raspberry, blackberry and strawberry - help to counteract any tendency toward soft stools, so they are good to include in a daily ration of greens. A variety of greens is safer than just one or two species. Phase then in slowly and continue to feed some rabbit food during the transition. You may want to continue feeding it permanently, just in lesser quantities. Pet rabbits do not need as rich a diet as breeders.

Reminder to make all dietary changes very slowly. Rabbits cannot tolerate sudden changes in diet . . . they have very delicate digestive systems. If you decide eventually to discontinue the commercial feed, your rabbit will need a trace mineral salt block. You can buy the little pet store spools (the reddish ones, not the white ones that are just salt) or you can buy a large block for very little more at a feed store and then just knock chunks off it with a hammer.

We just started rabbits a year ago this month so there are many folks on here with lots more experience. But we moved our rabbits off pellets soon after we got them. Bought pellets to make the transition gradual, but we fed hay (which we make ourselves for our goats) and many different greens, wild and from the gardens. This winter we fed roots and fodder grown from wheat. For a while I felt unsure but soon we learned to feel along each rabbit's back about once a week. We were quickly able to tell who was putting on weight and who was a bit thin. The thin ones got more roots and/or grain (oats and wheat). No rabbit ever got loose or wet droppings. When anyone stopped eating hay, we cut back a bit on other feed until they were eating it again. The kits ate what the does ate as soon as they came out of the nestbox. Don't know how it affects life span, but you'll find lots of helpful information on the natural feed forum if you're interested in trying it and in what has worked for others. I really like the variety of ways folks work out the feed issue, but sometimes at first it can be confusing reading all the different advice. Just make any changes slowly so the rabbit can adjust and you'll figure out what works for your rabbit and your situation.

I see Maggie got in before me--she's been doing this a lot longer and is a great source of helpful information.

Hello Rabbitready,
you have gotten some very good information,
but, feeding a properly balanced pelleted Rabbit feed is NOT
just a way to FATTEN up MEAT Rabbits! The reason that most breeders
use it is: Because it IS nutritionally balanced when used properly.
Any feed used can be overfed. Each Rabbit must be fed as an individual.
Some require more or less feed to maintain proper condition.
What works for one does not always work for another, so use
whatever system works best for you and your Herd.
At the same time do not hesitate to try new things once in a while.
Best of luck with your feed regimen.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Latest posts

Back