Naming your rabbitry/farm

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grinlow, do you think that works the same with prefixes? I use the prefix BC's, and on a buck's pedigree, a few generations back, there is a rabbit that is BC's, but it's not my rabbit, it's someone elses. I wonder now, if his offspring won't be able to get registered because the prefixes are the same? Or is it only with full rabbitry names, that they do this?

Also, I thought you had to have your rabbitry registered, in order to get rabbits registered, so is it just you have to be a member of ARBA?

Emily

You need only be a Member of A.R.B.A. to register your Rabbit.
Of course they must meet all of the other criteria to be accepted.
All the information is in the paraphernalia you will recieve
when you join the Biggest Rabbit Club in existence! A.R.B.A.
Dennis, C.V.R.

Blue, I register all my breeding rabbits and this one and only rabbit registrar questioned me on the rabbitry name on the pedigree. I would not be concerned about them not registering your rabbits. Each registrar is different. some will really spend time checking the rabbit and making sure there are no DQs others just weight the rabbit and check the pedigree. What's the point of getting a rabbit registered that does'nt meet standards?? I know that I have checked the rabbit before registration but it concerns me when some do not ck teeth, tail, toenails, correct eye color or sex!

I don't even have a rabbit yet, but came up with a name for my rabbitry and registered it with the ARBA. I did so by doing an English to Italian translation of the phrase Satin Rabbit Farm, which in Italian is translated "Raso Conigli Farm".

Now there's not a drop of Italian blood in my body, so the natural question which likely gets asked at that point is, "Why Italian?" The answer lies in the countries I traveled thru when I was in the US Air Force. I spent over 3 months in Italy in the summer of '95, and that country was heads and shoulders my favorite foreign country. Since Satins are my favorite of all rabbit breeds, it only seemed fitting that I would make a correlation.

Hello billylilwigeon,
US Air Force, my goodness I got out in 71 after serving in Viet-nam.
I loved the Air Force but I craved civilian life more.
We do have a few things in common! Air Force and Satins!
After I got out I bought my Bass guitar and Amplifier,
I made quite a few $$$'s with it. I still diddle around with the music,
but finding bands and places to play have all but disappeared.
Anyway, the rabbits keep me plenty busy.
Just thought I'd mention this in passing.
Perhaps it's out of line, if so I hope I will be forgiven.
Dennis, C.V.R.

Our family farm was Glenvar (glen for the shape of the farm and Var for the start of our last name)

My current farm (I guess it's the new family farm eh?) is VareHarri Farm ... a combo of last names but somehow very fitting for fibre rabbits and dogs .. :)
(yup you say it very hairy)

Sorry another thread hijack, but I love your farm name Brody. :)

I am an ARBA member, but I did not register my rabbitry with ARBA yet. Not intentionally, just never got around to it and now it seems like they have major computer problems with their directory. Will probably wait until it is sorted out, but how many people would want to be called Hendricks' Hearth anyway? We started our name in making cold-process soap and we have two traditional stone fireplaces where I work at home, so it seemed fitting at the time.. but now it has carried over into rabbits because it is easy. Already have the domain, etc. :)

Lauren

Hehe, Lauren. I'm all about the 'H' alliteration, too. I recently settled on Haiku Heritage Farm. I wanted something that wasn't place specific because we may or may not be here for a while, so Little Granite Creek Farm, etc, was out the window. I also have an intense love affair with heritage livestock, so I wanted to make use of that in the farm name. I guess I just liked the way Haiku sounded and I wanted something short to use as a suffix for names, catchy, kind of unique. There is no one else in my state or breed (that I know of) that uses HH for ear tattoos, and without doing a search, I don't know of any other farm using the name Haiku within my immediate realm of interest, so there was a plethora of reasons and it all just came together one day during a long drive. :)

And now I actually need to write a rabbit haiku!

Otter (Dennis), no offense taken at all. I was in the USAF for an awful long time, and adjusting to civilian life has been a real challenge for me.

One of the main reasons I'm getting back into rabbits after all these years is because it gives me a leisure activity that I miss and enjoy, something which takes my mind away from the job I do every day. As it is, I have no real life and I'm just taking up space on this planet and I actually feel guilty for it. The adjustment to being a civilian has been a nearly impossible one for me to make.

Haiku Farm: special
place. Love and laugh. Learn and play.
Grow happy with us.

I love it, Brody!
(I think the second line is supposed to have seven syllables.)
What a cute idea!

I came up with 24 Carrot Rabbitry because my kids were having a creativity-deficient day. :lol:
I think we're going to call our homeschool 24 Carrot Academy. For the homeschool option I'm using, you have to submit your letter on your homeschool letterhead. Well, if I need letterhead, I need a name. :D

Miss M - thanks - you are right but my brain was off last night ;)

I like 24 carrot rabbitry - a clever play on rabbits, and value :)

I'm not registered yet, but, I plan to be.

I first named my rabbitry Omnivores Delight! because my original idea was to have meat rabbits. Then I got nice pedigrees and a few different breeds, so I decided my rabbitry has 'divisions'. The 'meat' division is now Omnivore's Delight!.
and the rabbitry as a whole is Watership Downs. After the book, Watership Down. A fabulous story from the rabbits perspective of a group of rabbits that escape a meat rabbit pen to Watership Down to start their own society. I have mine as 'Downs' with an 's' because I didn't want to copyright trample :). and it made me think of Emerald Downs, a local horse track.

pastelsummer":1r306sxg said:
can you name you "rebbitry" if you dont plan to sell right away or even to that many people? I would like to name mine.

I don't see why not. A name is just a name. People choose names for their homes, their farms, their summer cottages... why not their rabbitries too? If you want to protect the name from possible duplication in your area, then I think it might be wise to register it with ARBA or register it as a business. But that would only really matter if you plan to show or sell breeding stock seriously.

New name!
Graham Cracker Ranch
"purveyors of the lovliest buns in the West!" (just thought of that now, lol)

Omnivores Delight! is still my meat division..

I wanted to name mine but its not registered we just have meat rabbits. It very simple as im not creative. All it is the first letter of hubby and my name. Rick and Tiffany rabbitry shorten to RandT rabbitry. Short sweet and simple. Though its really only my rabbitry hubby only helps out maybe monthly lol. I do the breeding the selling, i make the decisions on who goes or stays.

TRINITY RIDGE RABBITRY

i dont believe in the trinity doctrine, but i do happen to live on TRINITY ROAD. i live up on a small hill, hence "ridge"

i used to run a dog kennel here, called TRINITY RIDGE KENNEL. the kennel is gone, i just carried it over to the rabbitry.

Latest posts

Back