Naming your rabbitry/farm

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shara

Reaction score
I have noticed alot of people have names for their rabbitries, and I was wondering if you just decide and call yourself that, or if there are specific things you do to get a name, like with a business liscencce? is a farm the same as a rbbitry?

if you are registering with ARBA or any other rabbit club you pick a name and then make sure that no one else has picked it. :) (you can usually find those names on the club pages somewhere).

but you just pick something that suits you or your location.

I did AT Home Pets for mine for a couple reasons.. the AT stand for my first and last name (maiden) and I used to do a pet sitting business where I kept the animals in my home (well I still do but I don't get that many pets in). Therefore AT Home Pets. I just included that rabbitry in that.

oh, cool. Thanks. So its nothing like applying for a business where you have to apply and get approved and pay for it? I can just pick one and go with it? Right on. Same for a farm? Awsome. I will have to start brainstorming, then :D

Shara,
I hope you come up with a name that suits you and your breed or area.
I named my Rabbitry "Crescent Valley Rabbitry"
because I heard from a long time resident of the area that
the Indians called the area behind my Rabbitry the Crescent Valley.
Also, I figured, who else would choose such a name for their Rabbitry.
I suggest that you try to come up with a name which is unique to you.
I am waiting to hear it.
Dennis, C.V.R.

I am thinking Wanna B. Like my blog. It's not location specific, which is good for me, I have always called myself a wanna be hippie... :p And I like it, Wanna B Rabbitry, Wanna B Homestead, ect, like I am not quite where I will be. :D

Update: it passed the hubby test, he says it suits me (I will choose to take that in a good way, lol)

Since there is no real rush (is there?) you might want to "test drive" a few different names... sort of try them out in conversation for a few days each. That way when you make your final choice, you are more likely to be happy with it long term.

Funny, I was just thinking about this today on my way home from school--A nice diversion from organic chemistry! I am far from a good name though...

I like Wanna B. It does suit, you are young-ish and it is humble--a still-learning name. Plus, when you are older it will still be humble. Shara, the eventual rabbit expert, with a humble name, makes you even more appealing and approachable, you know? :D We could all stand to be more humble in this life.

And since it doesn't matter until you start registering rabbits, really, you can always change it...Like Maggie says, test drive it!

Just don't start test driving names during a pop quiz. :oops:

lol. I will test drive it. :) My first choice was City Bunnies. But I am moving away from the city, and it's a little too cutesy for me, I think. Maybe if I was younger still....

Wanna B is young, but not babyish, and I like it. It is the name of my blog....I have been happy with it. I think I will give it a couple weeks, and try and think up more as I go.

Eco2pia, I think we are long lost relatives! lol. (actually, I don't know many of my relatives, I come from an offshoot that doesn't realy care for "family" ties, so, you never know! lol.)

eco2pia":32uzftj0 said:
Funny, I was just thinking about this today on my way home from school--A nice diversion from organic chemistry! I am far from a good name though...

I like Wanna B. It does suit, you are young-ish and it is humble--a still-learning name. Plus, when you are older it will still be humble. Shara, the eventual rabbit expert, with a humble name, makes you even more appealing and approachable, you know? :D We could all stand to be more humble in this life.

And since it doesn't matter until you start registering rabbits, really, you can always change it...Like Maggie says, test drive it!

Just don't start test driving names during a pop quiz. :oops:

I can see it coming ..... 2,2,4 Tri Methyl Pentane Rabbitry :cool:

avdpas77":3m60nkuv said:
I can see it coming ..... 2,2,4 Tri Methyl Pentane Rabbitry :cool:

...and Hi-Octane Rabbitry for short?

Or considering my personal fuel tendancies, maybe go for 1,3,7-Trimethylxanthine Rabbitry? Ah, but who could pronounce that?

Yep, I'm a geek. :roll:

Hi-Octane Rabbitry sounds awesome, haha!! :p

I picked Blue Camas because it is a type of flower that is prominent in my area, and I really like them. Plus, the name is shorter and sounds so much better than my old one. Haha.

Lots of peope pick names that have to do with their nature surroundings... Quite funny, really.

Emily

I call my little piece of paradise The Welcome Homestead and have a web site of the same name although I've done very little with the web site. I tossed a lot of names around but settled on this one because all are welcome here for a meal, good conversation and a bed (or couch) for the night if needed. It just sounds warm and cozy. Home is where it's at for me and I have absolutely no desire to travel the world. I've told all my family and friends that they can travel the world all they want and I'll always be here to keep the home fires burning.

We just named it after the farm - "Hillside Farm Angora Rabbits" fits in with our farm tax deductions, IMHO. Since not too many folks farm on hillsides, I don't think there are even any other farms by that name, let alone rabbitries. Fortunately, it is a very small farm so it doesn't matter that it's hard to mow. Now if we can just figure out how to let the rabbits do the mowing it would be even easier since I don't think they'd care about hills.

There is a small, one time fee to register you rabbitry name with ARBA. They send you a certificate. Mine is Grinlow Farm Rabbitry. When I name my rabbits I use Grinlow in front of the name ie Grinlow's Dancing Lady. A couple of years ago I was registering one of my rabbits and the registrar asked me if Grinlow was a registered name? I told her it was. She said you are not to use rabbitry names on the pedigree unless it is registered with ARBA. I guess that is to prevent duplication of common rabbitry names. If you don't belong to ARBA or register rabbits you can put anything you want on the pedigree. Grinlow means green hills.

grinlow farm":28a8uuwt said:
There is a small, one time fee to register you rabbitry name with ARBA. They send you a certificate. Mine is Grinlow Farm Rabbitry. When I name my rabbits I use Grinlow in front of the name
Grinlow's Dancing Lady. A couple of years ago I was registering one of my rabbits and the registrar asked me if Grinlow was a registered name? I told her it was. She said you are not to use rabbitry names on the pedigree unless it is registered with A.R.B.A. I guess that is to prevent duplication of common rabbitry names. If you don't belong to A.R.B.A. or register rabbits you can put anything you want on the pedigree. Grinlow means green hills.

Whether or not you belong to A.R.B.A.,
you can put anything/name you want to on YOUR Pedigree!
What country are we living in that the A.R.B.A. controls
what an individual rabbit breeder does?
They may feel that you should not do something,
and may have their reasons but they certainly cannot/do not
have the right to tell you what you can or cannot place on your Pedigree.
As always, JMPO.
Dennis, C.V.R.

ottersatin":6c4djugv said:
What country are we living in that the A.R.B.A. controls
what an individual rabbit breeder does?
As always, JMPO.
Dennis, C.V.R.

I don't think it is The Man trying to control us here, just a helpful Association trying to make things a little simpler.

Plus, it might irritate you if someone bought one of your rabbits, made a few awful crosses with it, and then named the offspring CVR's Whatever, implying that you were somehow responsible for the ugly, poorly-bred bunnies... I figure that is the sort of thing they are trying to prevent, but maybe I am being naive. I tend to think of authority as helpful, so that is my natural bias.

Imagine how many Smith's Fluffies there must be! :lol: It boggles the mind! There is a Nickelodeon cartoon character with my real name--we are never as original as we think we are!

I suppose the registrar would have asked you to register your rabbitry, Grinlow, which for newbies like me would be helpful--I'd be saying "Oh, I can DO that?!" 'cause I wouldn't know.

I plan on registaring my rabbitry, but on witing till I get settled to do so, still loving Wanna B! Think I'll Do it this winter, when I begin breeding purebreds.

I don't think it is The Man trying to control us here, just a helpful Association trying to make things a little simpler.

Plus, it might irritate you if someone bought one of your rabbits, made a few awful crosses with it, and then named the offspring C.V.R.'s Whatever, implying that you were somehow responsible for the ugly, poorly-bred bunnies... I figure that is the sort of thing they are trying to prevent, but maybe I am being naive. I tend to think of authority as helpful, so that is my natural bias.

Imagine how many Smith's Fluffies there must be! :lol: It boggles the mind! There is a Nickelodeon cartoon character with my real name--we are never as original as we think we are!

I suppose the registrar would have asked you to register your rabbitry, Grinlow, which for newbies like me would be helpful--I'd be saying "Oh, I can DO that?!" 'cause I wouldn't know.[/quote]

Any Rabbit that is born in your Barn gets your prefix.
It would not matter of some fly by night wannabe was to cross your rabbit or my rabbit,
the mongrel offspring get the name of the breeder who produced them.
Therefore it would be a falsehood on the part of the Breeder/producer.
Dennis, C.V.R.

Latest posts

Back