Name my first Flemish - with pics!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvabunny

Reaction score
This is my first Flemish Giant, a 4 year old retired show and brood doe. She is wayyyy to fat, but seems to be very sweet. I think her color is called dark grey in the Flemish world....everyone else calls it black gold tipped steel. She had a name, but I didn't like it. What does she look like to you guys?
20121222_224719.jpg
20121222_224658.jpg
20121222_224648.jpg
20121222_224612.jpg
20121222_224439.jpg
20121222_224520.jpg

She does have a humongous dewlap, doesn't she? Like I said, WAYYYY to fat, but I'm working on that. She jiggles when she hops!

To be honest, I can't even remember the name now. The girl told it to me, I immediately thought wow thats got to change, and promptly forgot it.

Unfortunately, since we have a snowstorm coming in, she probably won't get to have as much exercise in the pen as I'd like to give her next week. I know the snow won't bother her, but it's also supposed to be bitterly cold and windy, and I don't leave bunnies out unsupervised, and I don't want to be out in it. She will just have to make due with hopping about the shed for a bit.

She's beautiful.
Can't help you with the name thing, I have six month old buns with no name.

I would pick a name that reflects what you hope her future condition will be... something graceful, lithe, and quick?

How about "Silver Streak" (Streak for short) or "Zephyr"? Silver Streak was the nickname of a train named the Zephyr, which was made out of stainless steel and set a speed record in 1934. (Forgive me- I live with a model railroader! :roll: ) It is a really cool looking train, if I do say so myself.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Zephyr+ ... 80&bih=880

Or you could name her to reflect the season. "Bells" for silver bells, or name her after one of Santa's reindeer- Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner (derived from a Germanic word for thunder), Blitzen (" " lightning).

Or name her to reflect her coloring- Sterling has a nice ring to it, and connotes high quality.

She's a light gray, which in normal rabbit speak is chinchilla. She's darker because she's not wide band, wide band light gray Flemish can look very light. My light grays also weren't wide band, they can get passed over on the show table for the lighter colored rabbits. You can try putting her on a hay diet, limiting her pellets with free choice grass hay, that may trim her down, but based on her age you may not be able to get her bred. Our first pair we named Jeremy and Aelita after characters on Code Lyoko, my kid was into Anime at an early age. I like the name Zephyr- or Zoey is nice too

my son says "long ears"

I saw her and said "laney, she looks like a laney".. or can be spelt Lanie. :)

Other names to consider would be
Cloud. Silver. Lady. Portia. Fiona.

I think the flash on my phone camera was messing with the color a little bit. She really is much darker than the pictures look. The tipping on her fur shines brighter than it really is, making her look a lighter grey. In any other rabbit, I would call her a black steel. She doesn't look chinchilla at all.

As far as breeding, that's never gonna happen. I have no intention of raising Flemish, I just saw some at convention and wanted to own one as a pet. The girl I got her from told me she needed a "retirement home" with lots of love, and that's exactly what I intend to give her.

I think I like the name Lanie. It's close to my middle name Larie. Don't want to give her anything she will have to live up to, since she's retired and pretty much has nothing she has to do or accomplish.

Thanks all, for the nice comments and name offers. New bunnies are always so much fun.

She is really nice!!! First name came to my mind was Olive, like in Popeye for some reason she looks like Olive Oyl. I am glad she is getting a nice home.

Easy Peasy, blow in her coat, if she has ring definition then she's a light gray, or a steeled agouti, she should be black to the skin. Whats throwing me off is her heads not dark enough. Lanie is a nice name.

Latest posts

Back