My random and awful hiatus. (updated with condo stuff!)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle@theWintertime

Reaction score
Just a brief, oversimplified explanation of my abrupt and lengthy hiatus.

I have issues. I can't help it or stop it. For a long time, my life was scattershot. I finally got a proper diagnosis and was medicated for my problems...and in a shockingly short amount of time, I was functional. Or more functional than I had been anyways. I held a good and steady job til I got hurt, then went back to college, was getting good grades, was becoming more comfortable being social...heck, I joined a rabbit forum *cough*RT*cough* and everything. ;)

I was under the care of a PHENOMENAL psychiatrist, the one who made the diagnosis. He had me well medicated and well managed.

Then he got hurt, very suddenly retired, and dumped all of his current patients on some lady psychiatrist. The very first time I came in to have my meds adjusted (it's a constant process) she looked at my patient history, my medical file, and my chart...and said "I don't like your diagnosis."

She pulled me off all but one of my prescriptions. Not only that, but she cold-turkeyed me. If you weren't aware, there's nothing worse for a psych patient than yanking them off their meds without stepping down the doses. Cold-turkey crap is like yanking the rug out from under your mental processes.

WORSE, I then fell through the cracks...my health coverage ended, and I wasn't able to qualify for the any of the ACA packages. I had to wait for Michigan to expand health coverage, which took a few extra months. She refused to see me after that first appointment, even though I was offering to pay out of pocket. ANYTHING to get in and get seen!!!

On top of that, my general practitioner was not comfortable reinstating all my meds, so I was without my meds entirely. For a really long time.

Suffice to say all my symptoms came crashing back down on me in very short order. I'm no longer a straight-A student...my grades slipped BADLY. I couldn't focus or concentrate on ANYTHING. I became terrified of people again, my sleep patterns went out the window and my raging neurotic problems resurfaced. It was awful and I was miserable.

I finally got in with a new doctor, and we’re now in the process of sorting things out. The old office won’t release my medical records to him (which is SO WRONG and unfair) and so we’re sort of reinventing the wheel so to speak. I’m slowly patching my life back together…this quarter I’m getting A’s again in all but one class, because as soon as my chemical imbalance wasn't ruling my mind I was able to pull it around but quick. Things are finally getting back on an even track. So much so I finally felt confident enough to come back to RT.

In the meanwhile all my buns are doing fine…my dad is fine…my aunt is more annoying than ever and has been taking advantage of my train-wreck state, which isn't cool, but her being awful is nothing new.

So…yeah. There it is in a nutshell.

As an afterthought, when I explained what the lady doctor did (cold-turkey med cancellation) my new doctor was horrified. We agreed that if that's how she rolls, someday she's gonna pull the wrong patient off their meds and get someone KILLED. Seriously. :(

Reading what you wrote Kyle, really made me so mad! This same thing happened to my mom, her doctor moved out of state and her new doctor switched all her medication to something different and she wound up hospitalized. This also happened to a close friend of mine and when her doctor switched her off one of the drugs she was on, she actually had withdrawal symptoms so bad she had convulsions and also had to be in the hospital. I don't understand how doctors can get away with doing things like that. Is there anyway to write a formal complaint to a medical board, so that the lady doctor you had gets a strike or something against her record? Jeez, if you had money and time it would be great if you could litigate. Anyway, I'm really sorry to hear this happened to you.

Yes, one can write to the local medical board about the doctor. It is wrong what she did, you could have been hospitalized with serious side effects of her pulling them cold turkey. It is also called "Mal-practice" and most doctors just pay the fees and keep doing what the heck they please. I am so very sorry that this happened to you at such a critical time in your life. I am also glad to hear that your getting back on track with everything and that things are starting to look up.

I like to call things like that "speed bumps" cause they slow us down for a bit but then we gain speed once more. Now you should be gaining speed again on this road we call life. :)

First of all, let me say that I am doing a happy dance to see you back posting. You were missed, my friend.

I am so sorry that you have gone through all this. My heart goes out to you. But I have to add, I am not the least bit surprised that you are pulling yourself back up. You are stronger than you know. Your post screams determination and drive, despite the blocks put in your way by someone who should have looked out for your wellbeing better than they did.

I have said this before, but it bears repeating- you will always have me as a cheerleader in your corner. I admire your courage and honesty so very much. PM me any time, hon.

*happy dance*

Wow. :shock: Wow. :?

I'm so glad you're getting things sorted out again with your new doctor. What sheer craziness you've been through!

I wanted to say something about this:

Kyle@theHeathertoft":328evo19 said:
The old office won’t release my medical records to him
Okay, let me clear my throat, so I can say this very clearly. *Ahem*

Here goes:

Those medical records are YOURS.

Got that? They are YOURS. Not the property of that office. YOURS. The office MUST release them to YOU, even if they won't send them to another office. You may have to pay for the copies, but they have to do it. You can ask them to copy only certain things, or you can ask them to copy every slip of paper in the whole blasted chart. They cannot say no to you.

Some offices have outside companies come in and do the copying and such, so it may be up to a two-week wait or so. Ask for a receipt for your payment for the records (make sure it states what the payment is for), and ask when they will be ready for you to pick up. Make note of every contact -- name, date, content of conversation -- with that office. If you are there in person, let them see you keeping track of things.

You fill out a patient record release form. You can tell them that if they will not release them to you, then you will contact an attorney (there are public assistance attorneys, and you can find out who the ones in your area are by calling the Attorney General in Michigan). An attorney would find all of your notes very helpful, if it actually came to that.

Don't let them do this to you. You shouldn't have to be a guinea pig again. It's not fair to you or to your new doctor. Somewhere in those records is your most recent good regimen. Even if your current one is serving you well, your history will be so very valuable to your doctor. He needs it.

Welcome back! :)

Glad you're back, glad your newest doc is working with you and yes, I think a lawsuit for malpractice is in order.

Kyle, like someone else said those records are YOURS.

If someone tried to cut me off my meds cold turkey I would SUE them. Not kidding. That can cause suicide, seizures, etc.

Kyle I'm so sorry that happened to you. I've been gone lately but noticed you not around as much on Facebook. I'm glad things are getting better. You are someone I miss when your not online.

So sorry you had to go through all that, Kyle! :angry: We've missed you, but I didn't imagine anything so horrific as what you've been through. Glad you're getting things sorted out now. Your courage and determination will get you through this.
Just remember, the cream always comes to the top. :gold-star:

I was really wondering what happened to you.

I have this really weird personality defect that doesn't let me ask people personal questions about their lives, and it makes them think I don't care, but I really do. I had hoped it was just school, or maybe your computer crashed, but as more time went by, I started to imagine something more sinister.

When I saw your post the other day, I was relieved. What is happening is awful. Get your records, and if at all possible, report this lady and fight for your rights.

Oh, Kyle, I am so sorry that you had to go through all of that. :cry:

I agree that you need to demand copies of your records. You should not have to reinvent the wheel. :angry:

Whatever combination of meds he had you on were working splendidly- I recall how you were able to face the evil Professor Umbridge, and even attend some rabbit shows.

Like Sky, I was hoping that your absence was due to school or computer problems. I missed you... and I bet you missed you too!

I hope that you will soon be back on the same protocol so that your true wonderful self can shine through once again! :good-luck:

Your strength, perseverance, and sense of humor in the face of adversity are an inspiration to us all. Feel better soon!

Miss M":3lbb0wsi said:
Wow. :shock: Wow. :?

I'm so glad you're getting things sorted out again with your new doctor. What sheer craziness you've been through!

I wanted to say something about this:

Kyle@theHeathertoft":3lbb0wsi said:
The old office won’t release my medical records to him
Okay, let me clear my throat, so I can say this very clearly. *Ahem*

Here goes:

Those medical records are YOURS.

Got that? They are YOURS. Not the property of that office. YOURS. The office MUST release them to YOU, even if they won't send them to another office. You may have to pay for the copies, but they have to do it. You can ask them to copy only certain things, or you can ask them to copy every slip of paper in the whole blasted chart. They cannot say no to you.

Some offices have outside companies come in and do the copying and such, so it may be up to a two-week wait or so. Ask for a receipt for your payment for the records (make sure it states what the payment is for), and ask when they will be ready for you to pick up. Make note of every contact -- name, date, content of conversation -- with that office. If you are there in person, let them see you keeping track of things.

You fill out a patient record release form. You can tell them that if they will not release them to you, then you will contact an attorney (there are public assistance attorneys, and you can find out who the ones in your area are by calling the Attorney General in Michigan). An attorney would find all of your notes very helpful, if it actually came to that.

Don't let them do this to you. You shouldn't have to be a guinea pig again. It's not fair to you or to your new doctor. Somewhere in those records is your most recent good regimen. Even if your current one is serving you well, your history will be so very valuable to your doctor. He needs it.

Welcome back! :)

Miss M, you beat me to the gun! I was just about to tell him the same thing...! Listen to Miss M, Kyle....those records are YOURS. All you have to do to get them is to request copies, in writing.

Apologies for not replying to anything much tonight...got a make-or-break-it exam tomorrow and am studying. I haven't forgotten y'all, I'll reply better tomorrow! :)

I was going to say the same thing when I saw your post - you have a LEGAL right to the medical records, and there are even laws about how much you can be charged for them, though that may vary by state. It may well be that they are trying to hide something, they don't want another doctor to be able to look at what was done to you.

I'm glad that you are pulling through with a new doctor, I hope that you can get the proper mix of meds sorted out quickly - though I know how difficult that can be!

Kyle@theHeathertoft":3d0fo93c said:
Apologies for not replying to anything much tonight...got a make-or-break-it exam tomorrow and am studying. I haven't forgotten y'all, I'll reply better tomorrow! :)
We know it's finals season. :) Do what you need to do. :cheer1:

OMG I PASSED THE TEST. Got a 90%. Not as nice as I used to get but for this class, I'LL TAKE IT. If I can PASS this class, I'll be gravy.

I promise for real I'll reply for real in a bit but now I need food. I just had to share that first! :)

Okay okay, real reply. ;)

In regards to the medical records...they technically aren't required to release them. Psych records aren't as easily demanded as a standard patient chart is. I'm not cross they won't release it to me...but I am irked as heck that they won't release it to the doctor who's currently taking care of me, that's freaking ludicrous!

My dad has been retired a couple years now but before that he was a med mal attorney...and I have zero claims for malpractice since technically they technically didn't breach generally accepted standards of care. They just suck at being good people, apparently.

I am in the process of getting a complaint filed but their office is having some serious shake-ups right now. I don't even know what the heck is going on in there. :p

Anyways, I'm aiming to move forward...as best I can anyways! I'm in a class that makes all previous classes look like cake: Kinesology. I tanked the first section of the class and now I have to work that much harder to keep from failing the class. If I can't pass, I won't be accepted into the second year of the program. I'll be crushed if I don't get in!

So yeah...that's it in a nutshell! :)

I like to call things like that "speed bumps" cause they slow us down for a bit but then we gain speed once more. Now you should be gaining speed again on this road we call life.

LOL yeah but I think I scraped up my undercarriage on that last speed bump. ;)

I have said this before, but it bears repeating- you will always have me as a cheerleader in your corner. I admire your courage and honesty so very much. PM me any time, hon.

Awwwr, thanks. :oops:

I have this really weird personality defect that doesn't let me ask people personal questions about their lives, and it makes them think I don't care, but I really do.

Just so you know. That's not weird. :)

I missed you... and I bet you missed you too!

OMG YES.

As with everyone else Kyle, I was wondering where you'd went to.

Sorry you went through so much B.......S........!! I'm not a big fan of
Doctors anyways. The one I've got now has known me for about 15
years. Arrogant s.o.b. that's for sure. My very first complete sentence
to the man was:

"Hey!! Ya know somethin' fella? You're an A##h&&&!!" I was loud and
extremely angry.

He smiled and answered. "Yeah, I know I am.....Sorry Mr. Felts."

We've gotten along great ever since. Glad to see ya back, Kyle
Grumpy.

Back