My Rabbits aren’t breeding:( Help.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackrabbit

Reaction score
So yesterday I intended on breeding 18 of my Standard Rex Does. The day got away from me, but I woke up extra early this morning so that I could breed. Well things didn’t go the way I planned. None bred. I did see some does lift and the bucks mounted them, but NOTHING happened:( I decided I’d come on here and ask if any of you suggest something I can do so that they WILL breed. TIA

I tried. That doesn’t seem to work for me. Only 2 does out of the 18 each received 1 falloff from the buck…. Not what I would’ve liked since I’ve never had good results with it.

Sometimes they just aren't on the same schedule as we are. Rabbits are busy in the mornings and evenings, usually mating will work fairly well at that time of day. Sometimes we will put them both in the exercise pen and see if a change in scenery will get them enthused. What's been working well lately is to groom the buck (these are English angoras here, without a haircut, it doesn't work) and put the doe in his space while he's being groomed. That gives her about an hour to get used to his scent. Then I'll put him back and that seems to get him energized. Some folks swear by a bit of apple cider vinegar in their water dish.
Let us know what eventually works!

Thank you! I am trying the ACV. I will also be adding several greens to their diet. I will try again on Friday and will post updates, if it ends up not working I’ll try the grooming! Hoping other people post so that they DO BREED!

If the heat is the problem he may be temporarily sterile even if he does mate. I'd freeze a gallon jug of water and put it with him. Freeze a spare for when that one melts. My bucks loved to lay on top and keep their valuables cool.

UPDATE…
I bred 7 does, who were supposed to kindle yesterday none of them did, nor did they make nest’s. I tried the ACV, and put iced bottles in the cages. It didn’t work. I think I will wait about 3 weeks or so, then breed all the does. Depending on who kindles and who dosent then I will see who I cull and keep.

UPDATE…
I bred 7 does, who were supposed to kindle yesterday none of them did, nor did they make nest’s. I tried the ACV, and put iced bottles in the cages. It didn’t work. I think I will wait about 3 weeks or so, then breed all the does. Depending on who kindles and who dosent then I will see who I cull and keep.
Did you breed them all with the same buck?

Rabbits don't always have a magic switch.

If ALL of your does aren't breeding it has to do with (generally) one of the following:
1. seasonal concerns ... there are times of the year when rabbits aren't keen on breeding
2. temperature - too hot, too cold
3. feed - something lacking in the diet
4. lighting - too dark perhaps? Or the lighting is changing

Sometimes it also has to do with genetics. If your rabbits are all related and don't want to breed, then... genetics combined with one of those factors will be at play.

Rabbits don't always have a magic switch.

If ALL of your does aren't breeding it has to do with (generally) one of the following:
1. seasonal concerns ... there are times of the year when rabbits aren't keen on breeding
2. temperature - too hot, too cold
3. feed - something lacking in the diet
4. lighting - too dark perhaps? Or the lighting is changing

Sometimes it also has to do with genetics. If your rabbits are all related and don't want to breed, then... genetics combined with one of those factors will be at play.
Hmmm… ALL of my rabbits share SOME ancestry. The lighting might also be a problem.

Back