My rabbit is past her due date

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mimzy is showing some signs of distress, she’s a lot more moody and showing temperamental pregnancy attitude. She refuses to be picked up which she usually doesn’t mind at all, and is growls at me if I am too close to her tummy sometimes like she did when she was pregnant before. Both previous pregnancy’s of hers she didn’t kindle until 15 minutes before going into labour on the 31st day. Today is the 37th day and she isn’t eating much pellets like she does when she’s close to going into labour, she’s a lot more scrunchy with her blankets in her area or that makes sense; almost like preparing a cosy spot. The last time she gave birth (my rabbits are free roamed indoors) she chose not to give birth in the nest I made her, but instead in a blanket scrunched up by the end of my bed. I Then had to move the babies out the blanket with the fur; and move them into the nesting box. I’ve also noticed her being a lot more tired and exhausted like; spending most of her days resting by her nesting box or litter box in her pen

Where as my other rabbit ponyo (the younger one) is acting normal, just not used to be separated from her mama (has been with her since birth) and is acting a little more cautiously and nervous because of that.

Keep a close eye on her. I just lost my Bella last month. It was her first litter. For some reason she was unable to birth her kits. I assumed she wasn't pregnant and I couldn't feel any movement in her belly. I continued to watch her closely. On day 35 she was finally able to birth one large kit, but it was too much for her. She died in my arms with two remaining unborn babies. I felt so helpless.
For my rabbit this week, I gave her lots of raspberry trimmings. Thankfully I still have them in my garden. She kindled yesterday at 33 days. 4 very large kits, but she mama is fine.
I wish I had some wisdom to share, but all I know is raspberry which it sounds like you are doing. I would give her the actual leaves though.

Keep a close eye on her. I just lost my Bella last month. It was her first litter. For some reason she was unable to birth her kits. I assumed she wasn't pregnant and I couldn't feel any movement in her belly. I continued to watch her closely. On day 35 she was finally able to birth one large kit, but it was too much for her. She died in my arms with two remaining unborn babies. I felt so helpless.
For my rabbit this week, I gave her lots of raspberry trimmings. Thankfully I still have them in my garden. She kindled yesterday at 33 days. 4 very large kits, but she mama is fine.
I wish I had some wisdom to share, but all I know is raspberry which it sounds like you are doing. I would give her the actual leaves though.
I’m so sorry to hear that omg that breaks my heart, thank you for letting me know! And I’m so sorry for your loss, I hope your doing okay. Also do Where you can get raspberry leaves? I haven’t been able to find any in store other than tea bag’s

I’m so sorry to hear that omg that breaks my heart, thank you for letting me know! And I’m so sorry for your loss, I hope your doing okay. Also do Where you can get raspberry leaves? I haven’t been able to find any in store other than tea bag’s
Thank you. It was a tough loss and a tearful night. She was my first doe that I raised from a baby. I was so excited for her to join my breeders. It just wasn't meant to be.
I honestly don't know where you can get raspberry leaves/plants. Maybe a health food store. Do you know anyone who grows raspberries? The plants look a bit weathered this time of year, but my rabbits still love them.

Is Mimzy going to the blanket a lot?

Thank you. It was a tough loss and a tearful night. She was my first doe that I raised from a baby. I was so excited for her to join my breeders. It just wasn't meant to be.
I honestly don't know where you can get raspberry leaves/plants. Maybe a health food store. Do you know anyone who grows raspberries? The plants look a bit weathered this time of year, but my rabbits still love them.

Is Mimzy going to the blanket a lot?
Yeah, most of the time when I check on her or am hanging out with her she’s always snuggled, or getting cozy into the blanket, with the blanket almost circling around her in her pen. I had a raspberry plant at my old house but I recently jus moved and don’t know anyone in this city yet. I’ll try check a health food store ! Thanks for the tip!

Lavender is supposed to induce labour, but best option is ultrasound or X-rays and determine if she is pregnant or not. Usually false pregnancy is about 17 days after meeting with a buck, but other things can mess up hormone levels.

If you have any feed stores especially ones that have horse stuff (like Tractor supply) you can find a product called "mare magic" that is pure raspberry leaf. You can also order online. Mountain Rose Herbs would have bulk raspberry leaves for human consumption. You can probably buy on Amazon too, but I would be more hesitant to do that since you don't know who the actual seller is and if it's what they say it is. Mare Magic is going to be raspberry leaf, no question. And Mountain Rose Herbs or health food stores (they may have it too) would be selling for human consumption and are big enough and reputable enough places that I feel secure that what you order is what you get.

For now though, you can open the tea bags you have and let them eat the leaves from the bags, they will be dusty, so may want to dampen the bag before opening so you have more of a paste than a dust.

Considering how far overdue they are if they were pregnant and considering the buck was only out for 'two minutes', it's not likely that either doe is pregnant. If the buck was out for only two minutes, then he likely wouldn't have had enough time for one, let alone two does. Generally, they take a bit longer than two minutes.

Any babies yet? How is Mimzy doing?
Hey guys. About a week ago I determined that they weren’t pregnant. They were both doing fine and I switched their food back to adult on the 14th, they both were happy to be back together snuggling every chance they got. I just checked on mimzy 2 hours ago and her heart had stopped and she wasn’t breathing. I tried cpr for about 5-10 mins since she was still warm and “floppy”. About 3:00am on dec 22, 2 hours ago. Mimzy died. 😭 she was my baby girl my child she’s free roamed and given a balanced healthy diet unlimited water and she was eating treats the morning before (dec 21) showing no signs of distress or discomfort. I’m so confused and heart broken

Attachments

• F4184101-0DF5-49CA-BF54-5C76EA2B70DF.jpeg
    F4184101-0DF5-49CA-BF54-5C76EA2B70DF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 02978C43-EE5B-4033-B70E-099C087C3EC6.jpeg
    02978C43-EE5B-4033-B70E-099C087C3EC6.jpeg
    393.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 3DEEE6F5-6742-4FDF-9514-CC994E3BCA70.jpeg
    3DEEE6F5-6742-4FDF-9514-CC994E3BCA70.jpeg
    403.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 354E409B-5224-4FD9-841A-AADA4DBE06AA.jpeg
    354E409B-5224-4FD9-841A-AADA4DBE06AA.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I am so sorry! It is tough losing a treasured rabbit.
Do you think maybe she was pregnant after all and unable to birth the babies?
That is how I lost Bella a month ago. She had two large babies inside her. She was 35 days pregnant.

Hey guys. About a week ago I determined that they weren’t pregnant. They were both doing fine and I switched their food back to adult on the 14th, they both were happy to be back together snuggling every chance they got. I just checked on mimzy 2 hours ago and her heart had stopped and she wasn’t breathing. I tried cpr for about 5-10 mins since she was still warm and “floppy”. About 3:00am on dec 22, 2 hours ago. Mimzy died. 😭 she was my baby girl my child she’s free roamed and given a balanced healthy diet unlimited water and she was eating treats the morning before (dec 21) showing no signs of distress or discomfort. I’m so confused and heart broken

I’m sorry to hear this! How is your other rabbit?

I purchased a doe that had been bred and was sure she was pregnant too, felt movement kinda like kicks along with rolling. But no kits, she wasn't pregnant. So sometimes it is hard to tell. We kept the box in until day 38 when it was obvious no babies.

I am so sorry! It is tough losing a treasured rabbit.
Do you think maybe she was pregnant after all and unable to birth the babies?
That is how I lost Bella a month ago. She had two large babies inside her. She was 35 days pregnant.
No I don’t think so, I double checked her belly and didn’t acc feel any Kits I had pretty much determained she was not pregnant but the ways she was acting pregnant (lethargic, less active, and always laying down etc), and as I never considered at the time because I make sure to give my rabbits a treat daily ( a dying rabbit is known to refuse treats) but no treats were ever refused, other than that the other “pregnancy” signs may have been her showing overall weakness too, as she was breathing a lot more heavyier and a few times I found her breathing so fast it almost seemed like a panic attack, and she was completely exhausted, I kept her in my room overnight when that happened, but both times she was completely fine the next morning so I didn’t think much of it. Ponyo the other rabbit is doing okay, she just misses her mama and is feeling a little lonely; I’m going to be bonding her with a female around her age soon. Thanks for all the comforting messages everyone ! She’ll be missed very much

Back