My favorite T-shirt is a write off!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
They dont call them chainsaws for nothing :roll:

Took the buck out of the colony I am dismantling as fast as I can make cages (Love colonies but not if the rabbits can dig, talk about earth movers, the shed is starting to subside!) and I even remembered to put on my flannel jacket as protection but, as he had been so good last time I picked him up I didnt button the shire or sleeves.

My mistake!

He was just fine for about five steps and then WHAM got me on the wrist with one hind leg and across the belly with the other. Shredded my favorite T-shirt and me fragile self at the same time.

Then this afternoon I had to readjust his cage so took him out, AFTER buttoning the left sleeve and the front of my flannel shirt.

Should have buttoned my right sleeve too, he ripped my right arm really good and got my other hand with the same maneuver.

And yet, with all four feet on the ground, he is the sweetest boy.

I think hte next time I have to move him I will use a MUCH heaver jacket and remember to zip it up.

Now to go look up the thread that showed other ways to carry a rabbit, I dont think my way is working anymore :lol:

Oh dear! He really got you! :x

How often do you trim your rabbits nails? I have found that trimmed nails are not nearly as lethal as the untrimmed razorblades they have otherwise.

My does get manicures and pedicures the day they are bred and again a few days to a week prior to kindling. The bucks get done about once a month. I start trimming young rabbits at around 3 months or so- before that their nails are just too tiny for me to see what I am doing very well.

I was getting cut up left and right, till I changed the way I was picking then up. I haven't worn my sleeves in many months.

Shall confess to never cutting nails :oops: but am planning to after the big rebuild is finished. Will be able to reach all my cages easily then and will get or build a table to set them on so I can do each one on my own.

STL, was it you who posted how to pick up rabbits? I cant seem to find it now that I want to watch it.

GBov":11x3y42w said:
Shall confess to never cutting nails :oops: but am planning to after the big rebuild is finished. Will be able to reach all my cages easily then and will get or build a table to set them on so I can do each one on my own.

STL, was it you who posted how to pick up rabbits? I cant seem to find it now that I want to watch it.

I believe it was OAF or MSD. I think I remember the cool gloves :)<br /><br />__________ Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:26 pm __________<br /><br />Got it. I knew I remembered the gloves.

lifting-rabbits-by-holding-shoulders-8-pics-t5383.html

I would get a chair to sit in to clip their nails. Then you can flip them on their back holing them down with one arm while you trim their nails. It has worked for me this way for years. Maybe it will work for you.

tm_bunnyloft":1q9n8njq said:
I would get a chair to sit in to clip their nails.

I sit in a chair with them on my lap also. But I hold them with one arm under their front legs, with their rump on my lap, and their rear feet in the air.

I foresee a nail clipping tutorial in my future! :roll:

My rabbits shredded all of my favorite shirts this summer so I'm going to have to break down and find a few more

MamaSheepdog":mcae2pdm said:
tm_bunnyloft":mcae2pdm said:
I would get a chair to sit in to clip their nails.

I sit in a chair with them on my lap also. But I hold them with one arm under their front legs, with their rump on my lap, and their rear feet in the air.

I foresee a nail clipping tutorial in my future! :roll:

Yes PLEASE!!!

I clip the nails while sitting in a chair also. I have them on their back hind feet towards me. I use one hand to hold over their eyes and the other to trim with. I also keep a glass of water near by and wet the fur around the nail to keep it out of my way. Some rabbits it takes a bit till they calm but it works for me. If one starts fighting I pick them up by the scruff supporting their butt with the other hand. Let them tire out a little and try again. They figure out quick it is easier to not move. I still get some scratches but not much.

My go-to outfit for moving rabbits is a pair of kevlar sleeves and a denim shirt, buttoned up. Keeping the nails trimmed will go a long way to keeping you from looking like either a "cutter" or like a mountain lion tried to disembowel you!

OneAcreFarm":2s039rpi said:
My go-to outfit for moving rabbits is a pair of kevlar sleeves and a denim shirt, buttoned up. Keeping the nails trimmed will go a long way to keeping you from looking like either a "cutter" or like a mountain lion tried to disembowel you!
- I was at the TSC check out line and the clerks asked me if I had rabbits? Amazed, I said yes. Why did you think to ask? They said my arms... :)

- Both clerks had been 4H, and had raised rabbits, themselves.

When the rabbit's claws are trimmed, they may have fewer problems with sore hocks, too.
If the claws hurt, the rabbit will not use the pad of it's foot, they will try to keep most of their weight on their hocks.

Piper":3b169tnn said:
OneAcreFarm":3b169tnn said:
- I was at the TSC check out line and the clerks asked me if I had rabbits? Amazed, I said yes. Why did you think to ask? They said my arms... :)

That's funny :lol:
Since my doe decided to jump out of my arms before I could get her in the correct position I have changed my pick up habits to this: Pick them up from the scruff of the neck and immediately hold them like you were just thrown a football from Joe Montana! It seems to work better for me and they actually seem to like it more too. Also, when I put them back in cage its back to the scruff of the neck. I haven't gotten scratched yet. I do trim their nails every few months too though.

I put them in my lap on their back. with their head to my belly. Then I can hold them just behind their front legs with my arm to keep them in place, leaving both hands free. Then I pull the hair back to expose the toe nail. Cut just before the quick. It should be just at the hook. If that makes sense.

I prefer to use a dremal tool. Then you use a sanding tube and just roll it back and forth over the tip of the nail until you get to the quick. It doesn't pinch so it is less painful. Most animals get used to it fairly quick and are better about getting their nails done with the dremel than with trimmers. You also have less chance of going to short and making them bleed.

I need to pick up a new dremel this week as a matter of fact. Then I will try and do a video of how to do a dremel nail trim. :)

skysthelimit":36rzdymr said:
GBov":36rzdymr said:

I believe it was OAF or MSD. I think I remember the cool gloves :)

__________ Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:26 pm __________

Got it. I knew I remembered the gloves.

lifting-rabbits-by-holding-shoulders-8-pics-t5383.html

That was totally NOT the link I was thinking of but learned so much, thank you for posting it!

This one had a picture of a rabbit being held with its back against the persons stomach and its feet facing totally away from the body. I meant to go back and have a good look but I forgot and the kids closed it down to play a game.

GBov":2xxijsvp said:
This one had a picture of a rabbit being held with its back against the persons stomach and its feet facing totally away from the body. I meant to go back and have a good look but I forgot and the kids closed it down to play a game.
I think it is the second link
post106787.html#p106787
post106801.html#p106801
- There are also people that place their rabbits in a milk crate or 5 gal bucket to carry them, some people have the rabbits trained to go from the crate, back into the cage, too.
This is one more link post107380.html#p107380
and her video is at this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhiwhg75 ... r_embedded

the gloves again. I remember people with gloves.

I cradle my buns like babies, sitting up, in my left arm and snip. Most don't fight in that posistion, and the few that do would fight no matter how I held them.

Latest posts

Back