My evil rabbit baby, video

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Putting down an aggressive rabbit is sometimes the only sensible choice. But this rabbit is very young and is clearly terrified. It is worth working with it to see if it will come around before taking the drastic action of euthanizing it.

I paid so much and drove so far, killing him is a last resort thing.
I gave him a box of twigs w/buds on it and some mixed grasses stuffed into it.
Last I saw him, he was sitting next to it, hasn't moved since I put it in. Maybe he thinks the box will eat him, too? =D

You never know! He'll likely get used to it... give him time. Frustrating as it seems right now, it will probably work out okay in the long run. I hope so! He seems a promising little guy.

ChickiesnBunnies":29wxxngh said:
Maybe he thinks the box will eat him, too? =D

It might- we've all seen the cartoons with the cardboard box propped up with a stick and a carrot underneath!

I know you didn't post asking for answers, but I have a couple of ideas that might help. One is to put him with or next to a really mellow rabbit that is super people friendly- maybe he will learn by example that you are not an evil predator bent on eating him.

The other is to bring him into the house. Maybe you could put him in the room where your piggies are... somewhere that he will see you periodically throughout the day and see that you aren't a threat. If there is a small room where you could sit with him and let him come out of his cage to interact with you on his own that might help too.

Personally, if he was mine, I would get a small cage ready for him next to that mellow rabbit or in the house. Then I would put on a thick shirt and my handy-dandy quilted flannel jacket, grab him, tuck him underneath my flannel so he can't see, and take him into the house and sit on the couch and watch a movie with him. When animals eyes are covered they calm down, and being held snugly along the length of their body is calming as well. After a couple of hours of lap time I think he'd have plenty of time to calm down and start enjoying being pet, and maybe even hopping around on the couch between you and your fiance. I know that goes against the general consensus here, but to my way of thinking, half an hour of stress once would be better than him freaking out every day for who knows how long.

My SF doe, Iris, was very cage aggressive and charged at me in the way your rabbit appears to be acting. I have forced my self to talk to her every time I come in the rabbitry . I give her treats and tell her how good she is. I also have moved her to a prime spot in the rabbitry with lots of sun and close to Lucky, who is, shall I say too dumb to notice she is being snubbed. Iris is a beautiful rabbit and , like you, I drove too far and paid too much to write her off. Breeding has helped her personality tremendously and she is one of my best mamas. I have come to realize she is just not going to enjoy my hands on her but I can now put my hand in her cage without trouble and she tolerates me handling her to breed. She is best when pregnant so I try to keep her that way. :)
I hope this helps and good luck with your new guy.
P.S. I did notice that when I wear gloves that she is more aggressive so I stopped wearing gloves when I handle her. She mistrusts the gloves. I would imagine the stick could set off your rabbit. They know when you don't trust them and the stick is telling him you don't. Silver Fox rabbits are anything but dumb.

He does the same to my hand, thus I used the stick and didn't risk my hand. Don't have a glove, wouldn't trust it would be thick enough, lol.

Went to a swap and traded the HL for a Silkie roo, a bird can free range while a rabbit needs a pen. So it worked out fine for me.

Moved Ciemny, aka Mr Evil, to his new grass pen. He was in his box napping. Took me some time to catch him, but this time he didn't scream bloody murder! =D
He is next to my adult SF and my new SF doe out on pasture.<br /><br />__________ Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:28 pm __________<br /><br />Oh, moved his box along with him to the new pen. Pen is covered 2.5-3ft so they have a dry area in the shade and for their food. But thought the box may be good also.

He will likely do better now he is in a covered pen and has other rabbits nearby. They do learn from others. Glad you moved his box with him... If he was sleeping in it that is a good indication that he feels safer in than out.

He's not evil he is reacting "normally" to a predator attack, its just we seemed to have mostly bred out this "fight for your life" reaction to something trying to eat you. A predator will try to get that rabbit by the neck/nape area which is exactly the area you were touching with the stick or grabbing with your hand. Letting him chill and get used to you every day is great, but if you have to move him try covering his head/eyes first and lay his ears under your hand as well then scoop his butt. If its too dangerous then use a towel on his head first, but do it real fast! :) Good luck! He does look nice and i think he will calm down eventually! Our Bruns and Champagnes were like that at that age as well but they all mellowed out!

You're right, Lauren, that rabbits will fight quite fiercely. I once saw a mink chasing a cottontail down by the creek. The rabbit was doing fine until it blundered into a snowdrift. The mink grabbed him but the rabbit kicked and fought back with amazing fierceness... Snow flying everywhere. The struggle went on for several minutes before the mink won.

He was alone for 2 days while I waited for swap day, so that's not so bad. Just hope he's not a digger...lol.

Just do what I do. I buy the meanest rabbits that no one wants when I go to auctions. When I get them home I give them a day or so to settle in. When I want to hold on I just grab it and let it do its little freak out thing (holding it securely). Then I will pet and talk to it after I do that 2-3 times the rabbit gives me no more problems. I do however have get some nice bites and scratch scars from them. Using a glove or long shirt would help (I do not use gloves or long shirt).

It's the screaming that really puts me off. I don't want crazy neighbors calling animal control thinking I am torturing the rabbit. Those people don't understand what's going on and won't ever get it. Also, takes time to get him in a place I can attempt to catch him, which obviously stresses him further.
But ah well, he'll have quiet time now until Fall out on grass.<br /><br />__________ Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:37 pm __________<br /><br />Well, he seems better now, still wouldn't risk trying to get him out..lol.

Wow, what a wild boy he is. I wonder if he was ever handled before you got him.

Latest posts

Back