Mushrooms?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Alforddm - I'm not much help, am I?

Don't know if it's safe or not. Guess you could always pick that one rabbit that's "on your list" and
feed it some to see what happens.

Did you score a bunch of grocery store mushrooms?

Do you have chickens? Maybe they'll eat them.

Actually it's something I'd like to know as well--not grocery store but shiitakes we grow on logs or the oysters we gather wild from the woods. Mostly we just eat them up--dry them when there are too many. But especially the oysters we sometimes have a lot and they can have a lot of bugs in them, be hard to clean. We've just put them into the vermicompost along with the woodier bits at the stem end. But maybe the hens would like the bug crawly ones and maybe the rabbits would like chewing on the woody bits. They're supposed to be quite nutritious as well as delicious. Never seen them on either the safe or do not feed lists for chickens or rabbits.

I'm seeing a few sources that say you definitely not feed mushrooms to rabbits.
Some of these sources seem a little extreme, one says that you shouldn't fee raisins and I see people talking about feeding raisins as treats all the time.

"Foods that may be harmful in the long term, such as mushrooms, button mushrooms, and other mushrooms from the 'agaricus bisporus' family, have been shown to cause cancer in mice. " - http://www.rabbitmatters.com/poisonous-to-rabbits.html

"Absolutely do not feed these as they are poisonous to rabbits:
Potatoes, Daffodil, Rhubarb, Lillies, Mushrooms, Avocado, Broad beans, Oak, Sweetpea, Buttercup, Kidney beans, Jasmine, Nightshade, Snowdrop, Privet, Hemlock, Foxglove, Iceberg lettuce, Any leaves from evergreen trees." - http://www.veterinarycentre.co.nz/feeding-rabbits.php

the mushrooms I have no idea on.... I have a hard time seeing rabbits as even interested in them. I know if I toss a salad mix in with rabbits or guinea pigs they are left behind (as I don't sort leftovers).

Iceberg lettuce is not poisonous OR toxic to rabbits. Just a little goes a long way. :) Rabbits actually really like it! :) Many rabbits will eat cooked potatoes, and sweet peas (the flower) are happily nibbled on around here, as are beans in the green stage.

I also had a rabbit who was Gaga over cedar leaves. Go figure. She'd go out of her way to nibble on a branch and if left out to wander would go straight for the hedge.

ladysown":b8q4c99r said:
Iceberg lettuce is not poisonous OR toxic to rabbits. Just a little goes a long way. :) Rabbits actually really like it! :) Many rabbits will eat cooked potatoes, and sweet peas (the flower) are happily nibbled on around here, as are beans in the green stage.

I also had a rabbit who was Gaga over cedar leaves. Go figure. She'd go out of her way to nibble on a branch and if left out to wander would go straight for the hedge.

Yeah, I knew that iceberg lettuce isn't toxic to them ;) that's one reason I was throwing the page into question. They should have just cautioned folks not to feed much of it. I didn't know about potatoes though. I know guinea pigs love sweet potatoes, but want sure if those were safe for buns.

Syberchick70":1nzvt713 said:
ladysown":1nzvt713 said:

Yeah, I knew that iceberg lettuce isn't toxic to them ;) that's one reason I was throwing the page into question. They should have just cautioned folks not to feed much of it. I didn't know about potatoes though. I know guinea pigs love sweet potatoes, but want sure if those were safe for buns.

Sweet potato leaves and stems are one of the few plants I can feed in massive quantities to rabbit who have not been slowly introduced, although by harvest time, the buns have had all summer to become accustomed to green foods in general.

I saw someone asking about slimy mushrooms on another webpage. I wouldn't feed anything deemed questionable-to-humans to a rabbit. They are more sensitive to intestinal bacteria than we are.

Latest posts

Back