moose n bunnies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olbunny

Reaction score
It's that time of year again. We have 4' of snow and 18 below. The moose have taken to using any clearing they can find. Or driveway. They step over the 5' fence around the house. Our chessy is trained adequately to call off but do not want her to think one of the grandkids could get hurt.
We have the hay in a shed but they try to eat from the manure pile. You can't cover it enough If they want it.
Schools have been closed all week. Hey we're ready. I do enjoy the winter. We currently have a pair of twin bulls. This is the one with the smaller rack. Other about twice that size.

Attachments

• 20221208_095816.jpg
    20221208_095816.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210323_081953.jpg
    20210323_081953.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Haha! I read the post title and thought, ‘mmmm… moose and bunnies is an interesting combination for a recipe!’. 😉

Cool pictures! I’m having to get things ready for -27 degrees Fahrenheit this week, so as you said- winter is here. ❄️

It's that time of year again. We have 4' of snow and 18 below. The moose have taken to using any clearing they can find. Or driveway. They step over the 5' fence around the house. Our chessy is trained adequately to call off but do not want her to think one of the grandkids could get hurt.
We have the hay in a shed but they try to eat from the manure pile. You can't cover it enough If they want it.
Schools have been closed all week. Hey we're ready. I do enjoy the winter. We currently have a pair of twin bulls. This is the one with the smaller rack. Other about twice that size.
What do you do to winterize your bunnies?

Wow. I would be extremely careful tending the bunnies. Moose can be dangerous. I'm guessing here but I think "chessie" means Chesapeake Bay Retriever (a really cool dog with wavy, waterproof coat).

Are you allowed to eat the moose? Are they tasty? Are moose a good thing?
We love to eat moose here in Alaska. Sometimes you can't shoot them when you really want to (for instance, when they're stomping down your gate to get to the hay and rabbit pellets).

But if you're not a hunter, Alaska has a great roadkill program. When a moose is hit on the highway, the troopers call the next number on a list of people who've registered for the program. The lucky resident and three or four of their closest friends or family then run out in the middle of the night to retrieve the moose, haul it home and butcher it. (For some reason, it is ALWAYS in the middle of the night.) We're a family of hunters, but to be honest we've probably eaten as much roadkill moose as hunted moose! It makes a nice alternative to rabbit (and fills the freezer a little bit faster). :LOL:

Honestly I find that moose are not such a good thing if they're not in your freezer; actually they're a pain in the rear a lot of the time. They really love to play garden chicken, in which they make a game of guessing (uncannily accurately) which day you will harvest your garden, and then go in and eat it all the day before...and stomp what they don't eat. They aren't the brightest things on four feet and will stand and watch your car approaching until within a few feet, then jump in front of you. (Deer do this too, but moose stand up to 7 feet tall at the shoulder and can weigh over a ton.) They will stomp you in person if your being nearby makes them uncomfortable. In fact, even though we have plenty of wolves, black bear, and brown bear around, more people are hurt and/or killed in AK by moose than any of those others. Fortunately they do learn to respect an electric fence, so at least we could fence off an area so our children could play safely in the backyard!

Last edited:
Back