Miss M tries Linux

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss M

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I decided that since we were already up late, I'd stay up a bit later to take advantage of the off-peak bandwidth that starts at 2am. I am downloading Linux.

Three of them, to be exact.

1. Vinux, a distribution that caters to low-vision users. This will go on my mom's computer.
2. Zorin, recommended by Alforddm for people used to Windows. I'm downloading Zorin 9, because apparently they based Zorin 10 on something that is no longer supported as of this month. I don't get it, but okay. Zorin 9 is supported into 2019. This will go on the main computer.
3. Mint (Cinnamon), also recommended by Alforddm, but which I had checked out previously on someone else's recommendation and figured I'd probably try. This will go on the school computer.

Why did I settle on these?

Vinux, because the other main option for the visually impaired is really geared toward the totally blind. My mom has lost her central vision, but she has her peripheral vision. Vinux was recommended to me by the folks at StartPage/StartMail.

Zorin and Mint, because the selection of Linux distributions out there is absolutely dizzying. To tell you the truth, I just decided not to think too hard. I went with distributions that others had recommended. Lazy, I know. But I figured that ultimately, I couldn't go that wrong if I chose that way, and I can always go back and try something else.

Why am I bothering to try Linux? I suppose my main reason is this: I grew up in a time when I told the computer what to do, not the other way around. Windows has steadily taken more and more control away from the user, culminating with Windows 10, which actively spies on you. I've had enough. I've been talking about switching to Linux for years. Now I'm doing it.

For now, I'll run these directly from CD after I burn them. If we like them, I'll either install as a dual boot environment, or back up all data and completely replace Windows.

As I type, I have about 10 minutes of downloading left. That is all I will be doing tonight. Stay tuned. :)

I made the switch in 2007 and have never looked back. I've been using Linux Mint (Cinnamon) for a couple years now and have been quite happy with it overall. There are occasional bugs, but it's nothing compared to the garbage you have to put up with while using Windows. Mint is so fast to boot, to switch users, to open documents, etc.

I've never heard of Zorin, but I left windows after Vista ate my very young hard drive, so I've not had to put up with any version newer than Vista. I think Mint is very user friendly.

Good for you, Miss M, for taking the plunge. There's a small learning curve, but if you're fed up with Windows, it's more than worth the extra time getting to know Linux.

Miss M":29b1hvyv said:
Why am I bothering to try Linux? I suppose my main reason is this: I grew up in a time when I told the computer what to do, not the other way around. Windows has steadily taken more and more control away from the user, culminating with Windows 10, which actively spies on you. I've had enough. I've been talking about switching to Linux for years. Now I'm doing it.

Good for you Miss M. I'm right behind you. Enough micro-trash. Thanks for the idea of making a bootable disk to test drive it with. :up: Now what did I do with those floppies. :nerd:

DD_Gotcha.jpg
I knew somebody would bite...If they knew what a floppy was! :p :laugh2:

I think my father-in-law does still have some floppies. :lol:

Oh I forgot to mention, running Amy any Linux from a DVD is going to be much slower than if it was installed on the hard drive, so if it seems like it lags some that is probably the reason.

I actually just threw out a couple hundred last year. Use to have an old IBM with an 8088 cpu that you booted with a Dos disk then put in your program disk. :x It was given to a school here. Bit of history for ya.

I may have just dated myself. :lol:

LPH_NY":3ituf80o said:
I made the switch in 2007 and have never looked back. I've been using Linux Mint (Cinnamon) for a couple years now and have been quite happy with it overall. There are occasional bugs, but it's nothing compared to the garbage you have to put up with while using Windows. Mint is so fast to boot, to switch users, to open documents, etc.

I've never heard of Zorin, but I left windows after Vista ate my very young hard drive, so I've not had to put up with any version newer than Vista. I think Mint is very user friendly.

Good for you, Miss M, for taking the plunge. There's a small learning curve, but if you're fed up with Windows, it's more than worth the extra time getting to know Linux.
Thank you for adding your review of Mint! With three recommendations now, I'm pretty sure I can't go wrong! :D

My only experiences with Vista were rescuing all the data from a friend's totally crashed Vista installation (that was when they had stopped sending OS install disks with the computers, and NO ONE had a Vista disk... I used a Vista rescue disk, but it wasn't enough), and making my uncle's Vista computer "feel" like XP.... and then fixing it a couple of times... :?

Homer":3ituf80o said:
Good for you Miss M. I'm right behind you. Enough micro-trash. Thanks for the idea of making a bootable disk to test drive it with. :up: Now what did I do with those floppies. :nerd:
Thanks, Homer! I was figuring on doing Mom's first, and then doing more research before settling on one for the other computers. But as I was sitting there downloading, I just suddenly realized I should just download them all and get on with it. :p

As for the bootable disk idea, I can't take credit for it. If I'm not mistaken, that's the way all three of these come. You download and burn the .iso (about 1.3GB depending), and then you boot with it. Try it, and install if you like from the same disk.

alforddm":3ituf80o said:
I think my father-in-law does still have some floppies. :lol:
I still have some floppies... and two floppy drives. :lol:

I don't think I have any 5 1/4s any more, though.

Homer":3ituf80o said:
I actually just threw out a couple hundred last year. Use to have an old IBM with an 8088 cpu that you booted with a Dos disk then put in your program disk. :x It was given to a school here. Bit of history for ya.

I may have just dated myself. :lol:
Yep yep yep! I remember doing that! Had an Apple IIe that worked that way, too. But we had TWO 5 1/4" floppy drives! Extravagant! It was about 15 years old when we heard that a church's IIe had conked out, and so we donated it to them. After all, everything they had worked on it.

I remember being suspicious of hard drives when they first came out. Do they really remember everything when you turn them off? And then the mouse came along... why would anybody need a mouse? :lol:

Then I worked as a secretary/receptionist for the church at the Bible college I went to. I remember dragging the pastors into the office on occasion and asking them what all of theirs I could delete. I had only a 20MB hard drive, and kept lobbying for 40MB. :roll: I never got it. <br /><br /> __________ Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:48 pm __________ <br /><br /> Right now, I am transferring files from my mom's computer (which is actually our old computer, because her Windows XP bit the dust a couple of months ago -- I mounted her drive as a slave in our old computer, and all her data is still intact) onto a flash drive before taking Vinux for a spin on it.

I'm also working to burn .iso files of Zorin and Mint. I discovered the school computer's DVD drive won't read blank disks anymore. It has been a bit buggy for a while, but now I need to replace it. I had to download an .iso burner... ImgBurn has been my go-to for that, but apparently it's bundled with adware now, so I got a different one. Hopefully, it works as well.

I'm also working to burn .iso files of Zorin and Mint. I discovered the school computer's DVD drive won't read blank disks anymore. It has been a bit buggy for a while, but now I need to replace it. I had to download an .iso burner... ImgBurn has been my go-to for that, but apparently it's bundled with adware now, so I got a different one. Hopefully, it works as well.
What are you using for an .iso burner? Norton zapped ImgBurn when I tried to download it (Trojan) and the DVD I made with CyberLink won't boot. Trying Zorin myself...maybe. :evil:

Homer":pp83r3na said:
What are you using for an .iso burner? Norton zapped ImgBurn when I tried to download it (Trojan) and the DVD I made with CyberLink won't boot. Trying Zorin myself...maybe. :evil:
I'm using Active@ ISO Burner: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details ... urner.html

Comodo zapped ImgBurn, too. When I pressed for details, it confessed that it was OpenCandy adware that was included. I seem to recall that being a sneaky one, too, so I decided not to mess with it. Active@ worked just fine, as far as I know. I haven't booted it yet.

Windows 7 and 8 have a built in iso burner. You just need to right click the iso and then select "open with" and then "Windows Disc Image Burner". If for any reason those don't work you can try InfraRecorder It's the iso burner recommend by Ubuntu and is open source software. I've used it quite a bit and never had a problem, although it has been probably a year since I've used it.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/ ... on-windows

Thanks DM. I used CyberLink Power2Go that's in 8.1 and wasted a DVD. :? Now I have to download again as it put it in a temp folder and disappeared when I rebooted this morning. :x Oh well it's only a 1.4 Gig file. :lol: Note to self, watch where it sticks the file this time and save it better... :roll:

Zorin, recommended by Alforddm for people used to Windows. I'm downloading Zorin 9, because apparently they based Zorin 10 on something that is no longer supported as of this month. I don't get it, but okay. Zorin 9 is supported into 2019. This will go on the main computer.

Zorin is based on Ubuntu which has several "editions". A long term support edition is released every 2 years and is supported for 5 years (used to be 3). The editions that are not LTS are released every 6 months and are supported for 9 months. All the editions are pretty stable but the LTS editions are meant for bushiness and people who want the ultimate in stability. The other editions are meant for people who want the newest features right away and can stand a few problems here and there. Since Zorin is based on Ubuntu, they have to wait until Ubuntu puts out their editions and then make the changes to the Zorin specific software and release it. That is why the Zorin 10 edition says updates only until Jan 2016. Linux Mint is the same way except they usually get their releases out faster. Makes me wonder if Zorin isn't getting worked on as much as it was. I did a quick google and actually couldn't find any information on a Zorin OS 11 which I would think should be out.

For now I'm taking back my recommendation on Zorin.

Here is the information on the Ubuntu releases. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

alforddm":3g3v5vvu said:
Windows 7 and 8 have a built in iso burner. You just need to right click the iso and then select "open with" and then "Windows Disc Image Burner". If for any reason those don't work you can try InfraRecorder It's the iso burner recommend by Ubuntu and is open source software. I've used it quite a bit and never had a problem, although it has been probably a year since I've used it.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/ ... on-windows
Yeah, I discovered the built-in burner after my last post, when I went to burn Mint. :roll: I don't burn ISOs often, and I guess the last time I did was on XP. Buy the time I burned Mint, I wasn't really staying at the computer, so I didn't post about it.

Homer":3g3v5vvu said:
Thanks DM. I used CyberLink Power2Go that's in 8.1 and wasted a DVD. :? Now I have to download again as it put it in a temp folder and disappeared when I rebooted this morning. :x Oh well it's only a 1.4 Gig file. :lol: Note to self, watch where it sticks the file this time and save it better... :roll:
Whoops... I've had that happen before. :x Now I have mine set so it asks every time where I want to save a file. In Pale Moon (and I think in Firefox), it's in the Tools menu, click Options, and it's on the General tab. You can specify a destination for it to stick everything, or you can make it ask every time. Other browsers have similar settings, they just may be in different places. :)

alforddm":3g3v5vvu said:
Zorin is based on Ubuntu which has several "editions"...
Thank you for this explanation! :hooray: I think I got it. :p

I did some searching as well, and poked around in the Zorin forum, and could not find anything about a Zorin 11 even being under development. The forum itself seems to be nearly dead currently, which is another thing that makes you wonder. There is a Mod who has been replying, even within the last few days, but I could count on two hands the number of posts dated 2016. Most of the posts seem to be October 2015 and before. :( That's a pity, because it sounded like Zorin would probably be the easiest option for my husband. I understand that Zorin 9 is supposed to be supported into 2019, but if the forum is this quiet, is it going to end up being the case? Are there potential issues with using Zoran 9 if the team drops off the planet? :( Maybe I'll just try Mint with my husband, too.

I understand that Zorin 9 is supposed to be supported into 2019, but if the forum is this quiet, is it going to end up being the case? Are there potential issues with using Zoran 9 if the team drops off the planet? :( Maybe I'll just try Mint with my husband, too.

Since almost all of the Zorin os is ubuntu with just their interface tweaks there shouldn't be a problem. However, since mint is fully supported I'd just go with that. Linux Mint's desktop is similar to windows 7 already. Just out of curiosity which desktop version of mint are you going to try?

alforddm":3w1dbaxj said:
Linux Mint's desktop is similar to windows 7 already.
That's good to know... the screenshots looked like it might be similar enough, but you just don't know until you get into it.

alforddm":3w1dbaxj said:
Just out of curiosity which desktop version of mint are you going to try?
I downloaded the latest Cinnamon.

__________ Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:40 pm __________

Well... the Mint disk is not being read by either computer I wanted to try it on. I guess I'll try the Windows burner that the Ubuntu link recommends. And maybe a different brand of DVD.

__________ Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:41 pm __________

Oh, I wasn't paying attention to the disks. I used a DVD-R in a DVD+R drive. It would be nice if it told you you were using the wrong type of disk before you went and burned it. :angry:

I am currently on RT via my new Mint Cinnamon disk. It is running veeeeerrrrryyyy slooooooowlyyyyy, as expected. But it's working. :)

My mom is anxious to get her Vinux over there, but her DVD is stuck shut for some reason. I'm going to see if I can figure out why, and also see whether I can boot from USB on that old thing.

__________ Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:16 pm __________

Nope, I cannot boot from USB on it. Time to open it up! <br /><br /> __________ Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:51 am __________ <br /><br /> Well, this is nutty. I can't get the faceplate off the drive. I've done it before... you push in the tabs, and it pops right off. Not this time, there's something else holding it on that I can't see.

The paperclip in the hole bit for popping the drive open did work, once I popped the faceplate completely back on. So at least the drive is ejected now. Maybe that will help me get the faceplate off, but that can wait until morning.

Or maybe I'll just put the computer back together, and use the little paperclip hole to open the drive until I can replace it. Maybe I can use it to install Vinux, at any rate.

This is a great thread! I've been considering Linux as well. It won't be too long before my PC just updates to Win10 whether I want to or not (Windows pesters me constantly) and I don't want it.

Someone mentioned Vista and I have a Funny Story: I had a refurbished PC with Vista for almost a year when all of a sudden, I start getting this message that my copy of Vista is no longer verified. Since I had a legally-purchased copy of Vista, I thought I might get some help from Microsoft (stop laughing. I was younger and more idealistic). After a long wait, I had a short conversation with a tech guy who suggested that I might have stolen my copy of Vista. I said, "Are you kidding? This OS is awful and you know it, but it's the only OS I have right now. Stealing Vista would be like stealing herpes. If I was going to steal an OS, I'd steal one of value." He hung up on me.

A brief email to the refurbisher quickly yielded the verification code I needed.

SoDak Thriver":22va3d99 said:
This is a great thread! I've been considering Linux as well. It won't be too long before my PC just updates to Win10 whether I want to or not (Windows pesters me constantly) and I don't want it.
Put the GWX Control Panel on your computer and it will leave you alone. Get it here;
http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

I had a short conversation with a tech guy who suggested that I might have stolen my copy of Vista. I said, "Are you kidding? This OS is awful and you know it, but it's the only OS I have right now. Stealing Vista would be like stealing herpes.
0_rofl.gif~c200

Miss M":2atp4kbx said:
I downloaded the latest Cinnamon.
Fair warning Cinnamon is a modern desktop interface and runs best on modern GPU's. Software rendering mode of cinnamon can be painfully slow. So I use Linux Mint Mate on older machines: older than 2009ish depending on the GPU.
__________ Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:40 pm __________

Well... the Mint disk is not being read by either computer I wanted to try it on. I guess I'll try the Windows burner that the Ubuntu link recommends. And maybe a different brand of DVD.
Yes definitely use the burner recommended by Ubuntu website; it ensures that the image includes a boot sector. It is also smart to use a download manager like DownThemAll that will allow you to perform a checksum of the included MD5 Sums.
__________ Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:41 pm __________

Oh, I wasn't paying attention to the disks. I used a DVD-R in a DVD+R drive. It would be nice if it told you you were using the wrong type of disk before you went and burned it. :angry:
Yes DVD R - and DVD R + was a mess for the entire computer industry; unfortunately it was never resolved by the industry and will probably never be fixed by the Open Source community either.
I am currently on RT via my new Mint Cinnamon disk. It is running veeeeerrrrryyyy slooooooowlyyyyy, as expected. But it's working. :)
So RT is running slow or is it Cinnamon? If it is Cinnamon you are probably in software rendering mode. Have you tried going to the settings and checking the "Driver Manager" to allow it to install extra drivers?
The paperclip in the hole bit for popping the drive open did work, once I popped the faceplate completely back on. So at least the drive is ejected now. Maybe that will help me get the faceplate off, but that can wait until morning.

Or maybe I'll just put the computer back together, and use the little paper-clip hole to open the drive until I can replace it. Maybe I can use it to install Vinux, at any rate.
Sounds like the motor is shot in the drive; but could be the DVD drive all together. If the drive still spins up the DVD you will be lucky and should be able to install. Other wise you may need to use an external DVD drive or a new internal one. If the computer does not support USB boot though; then you will have to buy a new internal one or find one on another computer and swap it long enough for the install.
The road to Linux Freedom is long no matter how hard the community has worked to shorten the road; we all will have problems that have not been encountered enough to warrant a fix action by the community.
But know that you are not alone; the Linux community is vast and full of people ready and willing to help with the transition; you just have to remember that the support is always given on the givers own time.
When you post back if you are in software rendering mode be sure to post back the GPU type. The terminal command follows.
$ sudo lshw -C display

So RT is running slow or is it Cinnamon? If it is Cinnamon you are probably in software rendering mode. Have you tried going to the settings and checking the "Driver Manager" to allow it to install extra drivers?

I think it's slow because she's running it from the DVD install disk so she could try it out.

Latest posts

Back