Meet our youngest "lonely only"... Pudge

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's a greedy little piggy... but he is cute and cuddly. :)

I've begun to shorten his feeding times. If Jasper had his way with Sage the afternoon Pudge was born, then she will have a litter in just over a week. So Pudge needs to start eating solids. I've seen him nibble a bit of hay but he just sniffs at oatmeal as though to say "Bunnies eat this stuff?" He'd rather guzzle milk still and I figure if he'd too full of milk he won't learn.

Meat or future breeder. A nice, large youngster of either sex with a bloodline I'd like to include always has a chance... and a little bunny can hope and try to make himself/herself irresistible. :D

You should SERIOUSLY let Pudge attain maturity, even if you do eat him/her...I mean, I don't know about everyone else, but I am DYING to know how big it turns out!

New pictures! Brace yourselves! 22 days old and 604 grams tonight... 21.3 oz.

Pudge at 16 days, for comparison.
pudge_16days1.JPG

Pudge tonight, 22 days. The same ruler is in the background... you can hardly see it.
pudge3wks_1.jpg

Look at those feet!
pudge3wks_2.jpg

Camera shy?
pudge3wks_3.jpg

No, still not sure. He was having a bit of problem with pasty butt - seems okay since we cut back his feeding times and he started eating solids - but I didn't want to put any pressure on the area. Poor little guy had to have butt baths in a yogurt container two nights running and he looked a little sore. I'll try sexing him in a few days.

He's a good candidate for keeping as a back-up buck... If he is a buck. He might have to be a cage bunny instead of a colony bunny though. This early growth doesn't really mean much... Most rabbits would grow fast on all that milk. We'll see how he looks when he's been weaned for a month or two. Since we never butcher rabbits until about 14-16 weeks, we don't need a quick decision.

If Pudge is a doe, she'll certainly get a chance to prove herself in the colony (barring any unforeseen health problems etc., of course).<br /><br />__________ Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:14 pm __________<br /><br />Pudge is four weeks old today. And the scales say.... 840 grams or 29.6 oz. That's a gain of exactly 9 oz. this past week.

Pudge has a little buddy. We brought Alice's "lonely only" back from the colony to be Pudge's cagemate. This kit was born January 18 and is a bit larger than Pudge, but only a bit. It's slow growth was worrying us a bit so we thought it might do better up here with one little friend. They spend a lot of time grooming and snuggling, so I think it's good for both of them.

Back