Meat mutts - what have I got here?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preitler

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, my rabbits are all meat mutts, and I get very colourful litters.

Doe: black (checkered genes), tipped with something I would guess. Buck is a fawn checkered.

Schwarze wurf.JPG
In this litter I have got black (most likely tipped something), fawn, white (blue eyed), black-white checkered, and those, I thought they were charlies, graisch nose, eyes, ears and a faint strip on to back and tail. Note that the inside of the ears is dark grey.
Schwarze weiss und sowas.JPG

But now there is this girl, a fawn checkered - with the additional markings that the other 2 show, dark nose, ears, and around the eyes :shock: . It looked ugly for some time, but now I really like that unusual colouring, to bad I can't keep her.
Mischmasch.JPG

So, the others are no charlies, since the checkered pattern seems to be completly unrelated to the other markings.

That is quite new, the old buck had the same colours as the new one, but there seems to be something under that...

If you've got blue eyed white then the Vienna gene paired with broken is likely creating the false Charlie's

The second picture looks like a false Charlie sable

The rabbit in the third picture is not a broken fawn but a broken black tort

Hm, the "black tort" part refers to the dark markings? Wouldn't tort mean dark feet too? Where does the brown colour come in?

With a doe the same colours as the buck (partially visible in the last picture) I only get whites, checkereds in this colour, and completly brown bunnies -what is to be expected.

The whites had blueish eyes when young, now they are more like everyones else.

That's all quite confusing to me, but the guy who bought a "white" buck from me quite likely is in for some surprises too, right? :lol:

I have little to no idea about colors and terminology but that's a great looking bunch. I really miss those surprising and enjoyable litters with multiple colors. :(
Since I converted to the commercial line, all I see is white rabbits. Dull and boring but at least they produce and convert feed well. Unfortunately fun and efficiency have never come along together in my stock. :)

If she wasn't a broken she likely would have black feet ;) Torts are black rabbits that don't have full extension so it is normal for them to have a brownish saddle area

The buck in the last picture looks like a broken reds which are chestnuts that don't have full extension and chestnut is what the "brown" kits probably are

It sounds like your blue eyed whites are frosty/ermine which are chinchilla (or sable) that don't have full extension

Dood":37uahbpg said:
If she wasn't a broken she likely would have black feet ;) Torts are black rabbits that don't have full extension so it is normal for them to have a brownish saddle area

Hm, the other 2 that have exactly the same dark markings (exactly same colour) are not checkered, and no dark feet either. That's what started me wonder, I seem to have 2 overlaid, independend markings. One checkered and two white rabbits, this 3 have that dark nose, cheek and ears, the rest of the offspring does not.
Not sure if I'm right, but the pictures I've seen of torts seem not to have these sharp defined marks, but a more gradual shading.

Saddle area means that somewhat darker strip an the back (second picture)? (Google presents me lots of recipes on this question..., translating "tort" was somewhat confusing too at the start :D )

I'm not sure if I keep breeding that doe, next year she turns 5, but I get the most interesting results with her, her 2 daughters have (til now) less diverse litters. The other doe (agouti) only produced blacl and checkered black with this buck.

Rabbitdog":37uahbpg said:
Since I converted to the commercial line, all I see is white rabbits. Dull and boring but at least they produce and convert feed well. Unfortunately fun and efficiency have never come along together in my stock. :)

I understand that, but uniform rabbits have definitly some advantages. First - mutts imho are quite likely not really efficient compared to real meat breeds(at least my cobbled together by pure chance mutts). And when rabbits look the same, the risk of getting attached to one or another is much lower. I keep too many does (4) already, that's because they are all different and individuals easily recogniseable. Were they all white, I wouldn't know if it's the same bunny that is especially nice this day, at least not that obvious. I have much less problems of that kind if there are some undistinguishable rabbits in one litter.

So, if your priority is meat I think you are better off with your boring bunnys ;)

You can add a wildcard anytime you want, just for fun, one more rabbit doesn't hurt, right? :seesaw:

Broken is a pattern gene and seperate from colour genes, so any colour can come in broken, including REW and BEW and Himilayan but you obviously cannot see the pattern ;)

Some torts have sharp distinctions between their light and dark areas, others are more blended, it just depends on the rabbit

Dood":vq04rikb said:
Broken is a pattern gene and seperate from colour genes, so any colour can come in broken, including REW and BEW and Himilayan but you obviously cannot see the pattern ;)

Some torts have sharp distinctions between their light and dark areas, others are more blended, it just depends on the rabbit

Dood, you are so awesome! Thank you for being so knowledgeable! Now, are you going to be there for me with my Angoras when I need you?

Back