Luna and Neville's Babies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZRabbits

Reaction score
Just a quick pic of the babies.

BUNNYS920.jpg

BUNNYS921.jpg

Karen<br /><br />__________ Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:00 am __________<br /><br />Just checked the babies. All got nice bellies. Still very active, furring up and becoming "chatty". Also got peed on by one of the them. Good sign to know they are eating. White ones are definitely bigger than the brokens.

Will be changing the bedding today. Everyone will get all cleaned up. Will get more pics then.

Karen

They are adorable! They look nice and healthy too. I don't think the "brokens" are brokens after all... their markings look too uniform. But I don't know what they are- maybe some type of shaded?

MamaSheepDog,

You have no idea how your "nice and healthy" has helped ease my mind. Thanks so much for your comments. Regarding broken, I don't think they are either. I think they may be more "shaded". I'm hoping for Chocolate Torts. Will see how they progress.

One Acre Farm,

Luna must have read your post regarding the hay being a bit to hard for them. When I cleaned her nesting box, Luna had made a beautiful fur blanket to protect her kits. I did go out and get some grass hay so they are now snuggled and safe. Thanks so much for the comment. Didn't think when putting the hay in there in the first place. But Luna did. She made sure her babies were resting in a very comfy place.

I did "flip" Luna. She has one kit that is smaller than the rest and I wanted to make sure the baby was getting it's fair share. I tried your way but I think it was more my fault that it didn't work. Inexperienced as I am. But since Luna just adores my husband, when I flipped her in my husband's lap, Luna was very calm and the baby did get to nurse. I might do it again that way just to give the smaller kit a chance to nurse by itself. Thanks so much for your suggestion though. Maybe more practice on my part.

Bad Habit & Garden Lady, Thanks so much for your comments. The babies are doing very well. It's been a bit of a unnerving event for me, because I swore that Luna wasn't pregnant. lol. Babies are doing well. I'm absolutely so proud of Luna. For being a First Time Mom, she is doing a tremendous job.

No new pics yet. With the cleaning and the extra nursing, I just didn't want to push it too much. I will get pics later though. I'm just amazed at how fast they grow. I love to hear their little voices, lol. And am feeling more confident in myself in handling the whole new experience.

Thanks to Rabbit Talk. I truly appreciate all the info in helping me with Luna's first babies.

Karen<br /><br />__________ Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:16 am __________<br /><br />Babies are doing well this morning. Can now really see the difference in size. Also can see the DM gene shining through. Little naked sides and behind the neck of all of them. Can really see it on the lighter ones. Luna is really doing a fantastic job for her first time being a Mommy.

Karen

ZRabbits":1yn3h2bw said:
One Acre Farm,

Luna must have read your post regarding the hay being a bit to hard for them. When I cleaned her nesting box, Luna had made a beautiful fur blanket to protect her kits. I did go out and get some grass hay so they are now snuggled and safe. Thanks so much for the comment. Didn't think when putting the hay in there in the first place. But Luna did. She made sure her babies were resting in a very comfy place.

I did "flip" Luna. She has one kit that is smaller than the rest and I wanted to make sure the baby was getting it's fair share. I tried your way but I think it was more my fault that it didn't work. Inexperienced as I am. But since Luna just adores my husband, when I flipped her in my husband's lap, Luna was very calm and the baby did get to nurse. I might do it again that way just to give the smaller kit a chance to nurse by itself. Thanks so much for your suggestion though. Maybe more practice on my part.

So glad they are all doing well! Yes, I have some that do better being flipped and some that do better just on the lap. If I try to flip them, I get flying babies! Whatever works best is what you should do... :)

ZRabbits":1yn3h2bw said:
Can now really see the difference in size. Also can see the DM gene shining through. Little naked sides and behind the neck of all of them. Can really see it on the lighter ones.

Yup, I see the nekkid-ness! Too cute! I think they will be some kind of shaded as well....

Tomorrow babies will be 1 week old. Luna and kits are doing well. Babies are getting big! Will get current pics this weekend since I don't have to work. They are growing and are very active. Really see the DM markings now on all of them.

So proud of my First Time Mom. Luna has been awesome. And proud of what Neville has passed to his babies as well. Can't forget the Dad.

Karen

Glad to hear everyone is doing well!! That's what's most important... What's second most important is MOAR PICTURES!!!!!!! but I guess I can wait til the weekend, lol!

Update on the Z-Babies.

10 days old and boy have they grown

BUNNYS929.jpg

Here's the smallest of the Light Babies
BUNNYS932.jpg

Here's the biggest of the Light Babies, and is the biggest of all of them.
BUNNYS938.jpg

Here's the biggest of the Dark Babies
BUNNYS934.jpg

Here's the smallest of the Dark Babies, and the smallest of all the of them. This is the one we were giving extra feedings.
BUNNYS936.jpg

They are getting pretty active already. Last night when I took out the nest box was truly surprised with this one.
BUNNYS926.jpg

Note the hay in there, well that's from Luna. She keeps bringing her hay, that she eats into the babies. So I keep removing it so nothing but soft grass hay, pet bedding and fur is in there. If I give Luna just grass hay, she lays on it and doesn't eat it. She likes the hard stalks and since I am afraid of wool block, especially after all the fur she pulled, I give her what she'll eat. I just monitor the babies real close and clean out the hay she shares with her babies twice a day.

Luna has been very secretive about when she feeds her babies, but last night my husband and I had a treat. We got to watch her feed them. Thankfully we were right there, because one of the dark babies decided he/she wasn't done feeding and stayed attached. I found he/she wondering around outside the nest box.

All the babies are doing so well. We are just pleased as punch with our First Time Mom. I've been studying OAF's pics to see if I can see what they are (bucks or does). I think I have two bucks (light and dark) and two does (light and dark). Will get pics soon of their little "parts". Kind of nervous, as I'm a first timer too, having them outside the nest box for too long. But do handle them every day.

Karen

ZRabbits":2675yd0p said:
Note the hay in there, well that's from Luna.

My LionHead, Pride, kept doing that too! Once my Rex kindle, I never see them bringing more hay to their nests. Up until the babies were about 3 weeks old, every time I fed her she took the hay into the nest! It was alfalfa also, maybe a little less "stemmy" than yours, but the babies had no problems with it.

Your little kits are adorable! Don't be afraid to take them out for one-on-one snuggle time! I am sure it is warm in your house, so you and your hubs could each hold one for five minutes or so before putting them back in.

They should be opening their eyes now. Wait for input from others, but if they don't open by tomorrow I would wipe them with warm water or chamomile tea just in case they are crusted shut. You do not always see any crust on the outside of their eyes, but usually there will be a bit visible in the inner corner of the eye.

Congratulations on your healthy first litter of kits! I wonder how many you will be keeping? :popcorn:

MamaSheepdog":1b9b2c0c said:
ZRabbits":1b9b2c0c said:
Note the hay in there, well that's from Luna.

My LionHead, Pride, kept doing that too! Once my Rex kindle, I never see them bringing more hay to their nests. Up until the babies were about 3 weeks old, every time I fed her she took the hay into the nest! It was alfalfa also, maybe a little less "stemmy" than yours, but the babies had no problems with it.

Your little kits are adorable! Don't be afraid to take them out for one-on-one snuggle time! I am sure it is warm in your house, so you and your hubs could each hold one for five minutes or so before putting them back in.

They should be opening their eyes now. Wait for input from others, but if they don't open by tomorrow I would wipe them with warm water or chamomile tea just in case they are crusted shut. You do not always see any crust on the outside of their eyes, but usually there will be a bit visible in the inner corner of the eye.

Congratulations on your healthy first litter of kits! I wonder how many you will be keeping? :popcorn:

Maybe it's just the breed that does that. Glad to hear Pride's babies had no problems with some "stemmy" hay.

I'll check tomorrow regarding them opening their eyes. Could the whole litter have crusty eyes?

Karen

ZRabbits":2ji0079t said:
Could the whole litter have crusty eyes?

It is possible, but unusual. Don't fret too much yet, they may not be ready. :)

Most people clean out the nest and replace the bedding around day nine, putting the clean fur back into the nest for them, to minimize the chances of nestbox eye. I must confess that I am not one of them, and I have had very little incidence of nestbox eye, but that may be because we live in a dry climate. I would think areas with high humidity would have more issues, and I may need to be more diligent in the winter when we have more humidity.

MamaSheepdog":251x7f3l said:
ZRabbits":251x7f3l said:
Could the whole litter have crusty eyes?

It is possible, but unusual. Don't fret too much yet, they may not be ready. :)

Most people clean out the nest and replace the bedding around day nine, putting the clean fur back into the nest for them, to minimize the chances of nestbox eye. I must confess that I am not one of them, and I have had very little incidence of nestbox eye, but that may be because we live in a dry climate. I would think areas with high humidity would have more issues, and I may need to be more diligent in the winter when we have more humidity.

Actually, I've cleaned the nest box twice already. :oops: And my husband goes through the fur (Luna did pull a lot) and makes sure the clean fur goes back for the babies. I've read lots on here about nest box eye and how important it is to be diligent regarding cleanliness so it doesn't happen.

Maybe they aren't ready yet, but thanks for the reminder of what to do if they need assistance in opening their eyes.

Karen

Whenever I clean the nest, Lily eats all the fresh hay. I have to top it up every day or two, or the kits would be laying on the bottom of the nestbox!

They sure are getting big!! Are those two white ones going to be REW do you think?

garden lady":38iu1kfa said:
Very nice!!! Can't wait to see when they are hopping around. :p

Thanks Garden Lady. I'm excited to see these little Woolies hop around too. I just love to watch them now in their nest. They are learning to clean themselves which is sweet to watch. Also little bunny dreams are hilarious.

Karen

__________ Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:23 pm __________

Bad Habit":38iu1kfa said:
Whenever I clean the nest, Lily eats all the fresh hay. I have to top it up every day or two, or the kits would be laying on the bottom of the nestbox!

They sure are getting big!! Are those two white ones going to be REW do you think?

I guess I'll find out about the REW when they open their eyes. Can't wait to see those little eyes, whether red or blue. Like them both.

Karen

__________ Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:10 am __________

Checked the babies, all doing well. Luna is making sure all of them are well fed, even the smallest one is catching up to the group in size. None of them have their eyes open yet. How long do you wait before trying warm water or tea?

Karen

__________ Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:56 am __________

Well, went and did some searching on when kits should start opening their eyes. Some are listing 10 - 12 days. By the 14th day, if they aren't open, use warm water.

This is a very exciting week! At 10-12 days the babies eyes will start to open. Should they not open by day 14, you can use a warm, damp cloth on the eye lid and very gently open the eye. It may take several minutes to get the eye lids softened enough to open so take your time,

Today is Day 11 for the kits. The 14th day will be October 17th. Will do what I need to do if no eyes are opened.

http://backyardbunniesrabbitry.webs.com ... opment.htm

Today is Day 11 for the kits. The 14th day will be October 17th. Will do what I need to do if no eyes are opened. Finding this out eases my nervous feeling that something is wrong and my litter are just late bloomers.

Karen<br /><br />__________ Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:11 am __________<br /><br />Update on Z-Babies:

Last night, well, easy way to explain it, the Tribe members, the new ones that is, decided they needed a walk about. Eyes opened and squinting. All of them. Funny as anything to see all babies out of the nest and walking about. Luna just looked at us. It's starting! They are mobile and seeing what's around them. Right away, lowered the water level in Luna's water bowl so we will not have any aquatics. Bunnies don't do well breathing water. Luna is taking it all in stride. So proud of the Tribe's First time Mum!

Karen

ZRabbits":187i13kt said:
Eyes opened and squinting. All of them.

:bouncy: Yay!

Right away, lowered the water level in Luna's water bowl so we will not have any aquatics.

:goodjob:

So proud of the Tribe's First time Mum!

I'm proud of the Tribe's Mom, too! You are taking wonderful care of Luna and her little family! :D

I just found this thread looking for your bunnies ZRabbits .. Ohh my gosh they are so darling !! The white kits are so white !!

It's nice to know someone else has a litter the same age as mine posting their pictures. This is all new to me too with Jill being a first time mom and John a first time dad and myself a first time popples owner !!

I have been touching and playing with the 4 maniacs everyday. When I noticed the amount of pee each one did on a towel, I started cleaning the nextbox every couple days. I just change everything in the next box to brand new. Jill pulled Johns fur to reline the nest box the first time I cleaned it out, now John pulls his own fur and tucks them in while Jill watches from outside the hutch house !! :p

ZRabbits can they hear you talking to them yet ? I think that's so cute too, they pop around every time I do my "jimmying" at them.

Nice kiddo's you have there, looking forward to seeing them grow also. Sooo exciting !!

Back