Loosing Hair?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heritage Homestead

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to raising rabbits (1 1/2 months :) ) and wondered if anyone could help me.
I have a New Zealand buck that is 8 months old and has started to lose chuncks of hair off of his nose. He doesn't appear to be loosing hair anywhere else. It is so much that I can clearly see the skin. The skin looks healthy (pink, not red or inflamed) and there is no sign that it might be mites. Has this happened to anyone else and is it normal?
Thanks for any help you can give!
HH

He's molting. It's totally normal and happens at the most inopportune times of a rabbits life. He will grow fresh new hair soon.

He could also be rubbing it off- I haven't noticed bald patches on any of my rabbits, but I will have only had them a year come April.

If the patches are in a circular pattern, it could be ringworm.

What feeder is he eating out of? My little pig mini rex doe was so insistent on getting every last bit of food that if the feeders weren't big enough she'd jam her head in there until she rubbed her nose raw and had lines of fur missing. It's taken 6months to grow back. I was worried it was permanent.

He has a 5" feeder. I'm not sure of the brand, but I got it from TSC. He eats at a slow pace and usally has feed when I shut up for the night around 7PM. It is always gone by morning though.
I think he's fine. I saw this morning that his hair looks like it is starting to grow back.
Thanks!
HH

Back