looky what I found- ermine?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
I went gerbil hunting for future cat food production and came across a petstore with a cage of pure netherland dwarf. Seeing as they actually had better type than the doe I have now (some were sitting up quite nice and pretty) I fell for a little grey doe. I believe she's ermine but I've never seen one. She's a mix of very light grey shades with black eyes. Absolutely terrified. Apparently the guy had just weaned them and they arrived in the store yesterday, then the drive back to our condo, the spastic wiggly dogs when I got home, and the poor thing was shaking by the time I got her out of the box. I'm debating if I should give her any pellets or just hay given her age and stress level recently.

DSCN0605.jpg

Saturday I'm getting a pedigreed blue or black doe from someone and then I'm selling the rather ugly himi doe who has weight issues and her previous owner never did get a litter out of her. Her and the bucks came as a set though and the sable was well worth the cost of all three so anything I get out of her will be a bonus. I'm also selling several mini rex after I get a broken chocolate doe so we'll be back down to the same number of small rabbits just with 2 pairs of netherlands instead of all mini rex. Selling the small rabbits for pet and show actually pays for feeding them all pretty well so they aren't useless provided I don't go insane keeping cute little rabbits around. :lol:

Now how am I going to quarantine 2 rabbits at once...

I would give her some pelleted feed along with the Hay.
She has obviously been eating or she would not have
been alive when you found her. I would also give some Rolled Oats
this is an excellent first feed for weanlings and oldsters alike.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Well, I don't know anything about netherlands, but she is a very pretty little girl. I hope she works out for you. Do you mind if I ask how much she cost you?

i've had ermine satins, mine don't look like that. i would say its a smoke pearl.
my ermines have had brown eyes (though they can have blu/gray eyes) and their fur has been white with brown or black ticking. as they get older apperantly their ticking gets more prominent until most of their guard hairs are colored but their underfur usually stays white.
also, their is a color that frequently shows up in holland lops called "frosty." i would think it could probably be found in netherland dwarfs too due to poor breeding. it looks a lot like what you have.

Frosty, frost point, and ermine are usually just different names for the same genetic combination. The big holland lop genetic site lists frosty as nonextension chinchilla. Are any of your ermine satins carrying sable? From the holland lop site it seems a chinchilla, sable, nonextension combination makes a darker frosty/ermine rabbit than double chin or chin/rew and chin/himi combos because the sable is partially dominant which might be the difference between the 2 breeds. Sadly pictures of all c locus colors except the real basics are hard to find online. Sable netherlands do seem to vary a huge amount in their color. I've seen some with full pedigrees and good show background on the parents that nearly overlap the color of a sable point but the breeders swear they throw E colors with ee pairings and others that are almost too dark to see their points. I don't know if this is double sable (seal) versus sable/himi and sable/rew or something else with their underlying color. I have mostly only found breeders that have been doing sable/himi combinations for 5+ generations.

Ok, I don't know what it is called but I have some kits that are AABBchlcDDee, with both non-extension and chinchilla. They look (at 9 weeks) like REW with brown eyes, except that they also have black whiskers coming in, and a few dark hairs coming in on their faces and ears. That is what I had been calling a frosty, but sounds like an ermine(a much better name, since ermine are white with dark eyes). What you have looks very different to me than what I have, I will try to get a pic--I am positive mine are chin and non-extension. Does yours have rings in the coat?

As I lay here unable to sleep (it's common and I often go weeks on 1-2hrs sleep a night which is why I end up checking forums every hour) I decided to do some photo editing and realized my sable buck's eyes and both the himi's eyes come out red under my camera. Shimo's (this new doe) does not in any of her pictures both under dim light and after I turned more room lights on. I'm not saying it's definite she isn't blue sable since it's entirely possible and would not really be a bad thing. I'm just trying to figure out if there's a chance she's ermine but I guess I won't know for certain until another 5 months when I breed her.

looks like ermine too me.She does not look like a smoke pearl.I get those rarely mine came out of an agouti.(chestnut)specializing in Netherland dwarfs.we almost never get pure Netherlands in petstores here.

I was shocked to find them in the pet store but this store is not your typical one. They use all local breeders and most of the employees are family or friends who have experience breeding what they are selling. You tell the person at the cash register which animals you are interested in and the person with the most knowledge is sent back to the cages where they give you all the info they have on them. She went on and on about the gerbils, their parents, their attitudes, their breeding ability, acceptance of humans while raising pups, which litters are from who and what colors they usually produce... They also have a local breeder for some of the rare colors of chinchillas and often have mother and pups in the store to play with until they are old enough to be weaned and sold. I really love this pet store but sadly it's a bit of a distance away and has odd hours so I only make it there a few times a year when I'm looking for something specific.

eco2pia!!!! I know what you have! i bred a chin to a ruby eyed white and got a white with brown eyes. its whiskers were dark and its guard hairs were tipped. i heard from other breeders that their can be various strengths of ermine. some have light banding and some have completely dark guard hairs. mine had concentrated ticking around the ears. anyway, the ermine comes from the chin gene. i'll bet anything that is exactly what you have :)

Hmm... with sunlight to look at her I see a distinct tort pattern and white belly. Nothing I google is quite right though. I'm gonna see if I can catch every bit of her color variation with my camera...

Alright swirly tort type side markings with light back
DSCN0616.jpg

DSCN0624.jpg

White belly
DSCN0626.jpg

Her tail is slightly brown on top but it only came out grey in pics. It's really hard to get pics cause the flash just smooths over everything in to one shade and she is not one shade of grey. She is white belly, near white top, grey sides, dark grey strip over her hind leg, brown tail top surrounded by darker grey. She is just so light I have no idea how you get that along with the lack of brown pigment that torts of any color get.

Blue sable point? Even that is a little too dark but the right look http://www.rabbitcolors.info/int/be/ent ... tml?id=800 , this one is closer http://www.rabbitcolors.info/int/be/ent ... tml?id=143 with light back http://www.rabbitcolors.info/images/col ... /143-2.jpg aa BB cchl? dd ee

Latest posts

Back