looky what I found- ermine?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am certain that is a smoke pearl marten or a sallander marten, the second of which is not showable here. Verrrry beautiful color!

Smoke pearl marten: at_ B_ cchl_ dd E_

Sallander marten: at_ B_ cchd_ D_ ee

or even dilute sallander marten with the cchd gene making the eyes brown. Actually that seems more likely if you ask me. at_ B_ cchd_ dd ee

Does NOT look blue point to me at all.

Sallander, also known as Iron Gray, is like a tort with the yellow changed to pearl. And I lean toward that as opposed to smoke pearl, because on a smoke pearl you'd expect to see the dark color on top and the lighter shading on the sides, where as with your doe it's the opposite, like a tort.

Sallander rabbits: http://www.hazelriggrabbits.co.uk/sallander.htm

Only your bunny would be the tan pattern version instead of the self. And the dilute gene could reduce the dark color on the points. What do you think?

What color are her eyes anyway?

Tort with the red/tan changed to white/pearl is a sable point in the States. In Europe its a Sallander. This looks different, perhaps a frosty- with some type of shading? She defiantly has the agouti white belly which would make it a frosty/ermine. A frosty/ermine is red rabbit with the addition of the chinchilla gene. A smoke pearl is the dilute of Siamese sable and blue point is the dilute of sable point. However there is something else funky going on there I can't quite put my finger on.. If she is red she should be non-extension agouti with the chin gene added she would be frosty, but she is very dark for a frosty. I think you may have to wait and start test breeding her to find out exactly. Unless you could find out where they came from and talk to the breeder?

Devon's Mom Lauren":2h0seffi said:
Tort with the red/tan changed to white/pearl is a sable point in the States. In Europe its a Sallander. This looks different, perhaps a frosty- with some type of shading?

I'm sorry, but I beg to differ. Sable point is one step down further from sallander, just like sallander is a step down from tort.

Tort: aa B_ C_ D_ ee -- full color gene.

Sallander, also known as Iron Gray, also known as Siamese in the Satin breed: aa B_ cchd_ D_ ee - the chinchilla dark gene

Sable Point: aa B_ cchl_ D_ ee - the sable or chinchilla light gene.

What color are her eyes anyway?
Her eyes are very dark. You have to get close to see a ring of brown.

I would guess she's tan not self and probably not agouti from the white belly and the very large number of otters in the pen. That's about the only thing I really am confident about. I've thought of trying to get a hold of the breeder but I attempted to go through other rabbit breeders a few months back probably looking for this same breeder after talking to someone trying to rehome a pet store netherland and had no luck. I'm not sure the pet store owners would give me the breeder. Pet stores usually dislike giving away their source in detail if they don't have a contract so you can't go buy cheaper animals directly from the breeder.

I can test breed her to a black himi out of smoke pearl or to sable carrying himi in 4months. Both have the potential for carrying nonextension but it's far back in their pedigrees.

Well, I don't know the first thing about color breeding or color names, but she sure is a pretty little thing!

Smoke pearl marten possibly lilac... and if you read the genetic code for torts sable points and the European Sallander (a breed not just its colour) you will see they are all one and the same with the addition of the chin gene just like I originally said. Chinchilla does come in several "varieties" ie the so called dark and light but this may only be modifiers acting on the full colour gene much like Rufus mods work on the colour red/tan.

Usually I see chinchilla light as referring to the same thing as the gene that produces sables, Cchl but with double Cchl genes which is often called seal instead of crossing with himi or rew to get the lighter sable. A sallander being chinchilla or chinchilla dark, Cchd, and a sable point being chinchilla light or sable, Cchl with ee. The site I found talking about light and dark chinchilla in the chinchilla breed referred to Cchd and Cchl which most sites use as chinchilla and sable.

The Rabbit Production 8th edition states there are two eye-color versions of true
chinchilla rabbits (Cchd Cchd) have marbled blue irises; those with light chinchilla color (Cchl
Cchl) and the medium chinchilla color (Cchd Cchl) have brown irises.
From http://www.rabbitgeek.com/file/amchincolorgen.pdf

Back