Look what the cat dragged in.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy

Reaction score
I've got this cat who I think only has one set of grandparents. He likes to take his kills in the house, only he likes to not kill them first. He's good about killing them AFTER they get inside, but I normally kick him back outside anyway. Tonight he caught his biggest morsel yet, a baby jackrabbit. I guess he decided it was too risky to take this one back outside, so he ran into the kids room instead. I had to go in and get it, so I ended up waking the kids. Stupid cat.

baby jackrabbit.jpg

Awww!

My in/outdoor cat eats up several dead mice/moles the dog kills and fails to eat herself, then she barfs them back up right on the porch...or leave moles/mice strewn all over the porch and driveway, all are gutted, hanging out, detached body parts, etc....ick!!!

So cool :D

I have some of my rabbits on the ground and went out to check on them the other night and one of the local wild rabbits was out there near them. It was a young one too. Must be that time of year.

Handsome lil guy :) Check him over well for any wounds other than that ear.

Aww what a cutie! Looks like a scratch in his ear, any other wounds? Cat bites and scratches can get infected pretty bad. If you have some betadine, I'd give his wounds a quick cleaning. Are you going to release him back into the wild, he looks big enough that he should be able to take care of himself.

We had a cat who use to bring ducklings home from the creek. We mananged to save one and reunite him back with his flock, but the other one didnt make it.

How cute!

It looks like a little cottontail to me, and since the white spot on the head is nearly gone, he has been on his own for a while. I would treat the ear as suggested and let the little fellow go.

I think Mr. Kitty is trying to tell you something- you better get some meat rabbits pretty soon, unless you want cottontails free-ranging in your kid's bedroom! :p

I didn't check him, I just sent him packing. Jacks are actually a bit of a nuisance around here, so I contemplated just handing him back over to the cat, but didn't feel right about not giving him a head start. The cats were both hot on his trail when I last saw him.

That is definately a cottontail, jack rabbits live in the western US, and are actually hares, much larger than cottontails. Sorry to be all "wildlife biologist", but I used to be a "wildlife biologist assistant". Can't help it.

Couldn't care less what to call it, if it were bigger I'd have called it supper. I'm from out west, so to me, any wild rabbit/hare is a jackrabbit.

Back