Longview, TX Show

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barton's Big Bunnies

Reaction score
I was wondering who is planning on going to the Longview, TX show June 15th?
And what you will be bringing to show.
We have heard that the show is really nice & has A/C.

I'll start...My husband & I are planning to go & bring several (3-6) English Lops. :D

I went last year and plan on returning this year, as well. The facility is rather large, and last go-round it was pretty much packed.

I'll bring mostly red satins. Not sure of the numbers yet, but probably about 7 rabbits total.

I've got a couple friends going .. I'm considering it .. but only have 1 Harliquin buck I could take... hmmmm<br /><br />__________ Sun May 12, 2013 1:22 pm __________<br /><br />We've officially got 5 of us from this area going together. I've not been before and will only have the one buck ..

I usually don't do summer shows, but since we are missing Carthage this year, I plan to try to go to Longview. Not sure what I will be bringing, but may have a few G Chins, Silvers and Elops.

I'm usually easy to find. I'm the big, fat ugly guy that hangs out around the satins most of the day. I've even been known to show up with a couple of ice cold Arkansas-grown watermelons for the concession stands to make money from.

I have never been to a rabbit show but would love to go a bring a couple of rabbits (New Zealand and maybe on of my Californian does.) How do I get more information/sign up/etc... I can't find much on the internet.
Plus any advice on a first show. (This is driving distance for me which is the reason I am even considering it.)

Thanks in advance.

Stacie

philothea - you should go to the rabbit show. They are alot of fun. I enjoy talking to other rabbit people. The shows can be long, so bring something to entertain your self with. I also recommend to bring snacks & chairs if you are doing both shows. Most of your time is spent waiting for your breed(s) to be called to the show tables. But it is alot of fun when they are on the show tables.
The best place to find information on shows is the ARBA website https://www.arba.net/showsSearch.php#showsearch & you can get catalogs for the shows. The catalogs will have all the information for each show. Here is the catalog for the Longview show. View attachment East Texas RBA - Longview Show.pdf
I hope the attachment of the catalog works. If not, you can go to the ARBA website & it is on there. I hope this helps.

I have some really basic questions about showing if someone could help me out or direct me to the correct place to look.

1)Where can I find out min. weight/age requirements?

2)If the breed is not listed, is there a all other breed category or just leave them at home?

I have some New Zealand's but they are young. I though I remembered it being more of a weight min. than an age for juniors. I have a 11 week New Zealand Red buck that is promising as well as a REW NZ doe probably 16 weeks old. And a couple of California does that are 5 months old.
I also have a couple of young American Blue - but I don't see them listed on the flyer so I assume I just leave them at home, plus they would be pre-junior still by mid June.

3) What tattoo does there need to be for rabbit? I have a tattoo pen on order (the REW NZ doe is the only one that is not tattooed.)

4) When the flyer talks about Friday nigh specialties does that mean I need to bring my Cal's on Friday or Saturday or both?

5) What does it mean by Late Entry Only - Comment Card show?

Thanks for any help!

philothea":2ejfpv48 said:
I have some really basic questions about showing if someone could help me out or direct me to the correct place to look.

1)Where can I find out min. weight/age requirements?

It's all listed in the ARBA Standard of Perfection. You should be able to pick up a copy at the show.

2)If the breed is not listed, is there a all other breed category or just leave them at home?

If the breed is recongized as a breed by the ARBA, you can show it and if it's deemed worthy of placement, it will be eligible for BIS competition.

I have some New Zealand's but they are young. I though I remembered it being more of a weight min. than an age for juniors. I have a 11 week New Zealand Red buck that is promising as well as a REW NZ doe probably 16 weeks old. And a couple of California does that are 5 months old.
I also have a couple of young American Blue - but I don't see them listed on the flyer so I assume I just leave them at home, plus they would be pre-junior still by mid June.

3) What tattoo does there need to be for rabbit? I have a tattoo pen on order (the REW NZ doe is the only one that is not tattooed.)

All rabbits entered must be legibly tattooed in the left ear.

4) When the flyer talks about Friday nigh specialties does that mean I need to bring my Cal's on Friday or Saturday or both?

Various breed specialty clubs around the state are sanctioning breed specialty shows for Friday night. Only if a Cal or New Zealand specialty shows are sanctioned will you need to even think about bringing them in on Friday instead of Saturday.

5) What does it mean by Late Entry Only - Comment Card show?

Some shows use comment cards, and some do not like the hassle they tend to create. I believe the ETRBA uses them, and as such, the breeder entering rabbits in the show is responsible for filling them out for each rabbit they're entering.

Late Entry only means that entries for certain shows are done on the day of the show versus early entries that are accomplished by email or USPS. Late entries (at least in the case of a show which has both early and late entry systems) usually cost more per rabbit.

My American blues will only be 2.5 mo for this show. Is it worth it to bring them or wait till the fall shows?

10 Weeks (2.5 months) is awfully early to put rabbits that young through the rigors of a show IMHO. I've run them across at 12 weeks and that was alot to ask of those rabbits at that time, and although that extra 2 weeks may not seem like much, in terms of development it can be considerable.

As Dennis (ottersatin) always says, YMMV.

That is why I was debating. Granted meat pen rabbits are usually between 10-12 weeks. I will probably decide closer to the time. Only two of my three that age would I consider taking. I have some older New Zealands, they will be closer to 16 weeks and 20 weeks. My Californians were born in January so they should be no problem.

In my SOP "Pre-junior Bucks and Does - under 3 months of age. Not over 5-1/2 pounds. NOTE: Pre-juniors are not to count in show display."

I am not sure about what that last Note means ...<br /><br />__________ Tue May 21, 2013 10:55 pm __________<br /><br />Oh, and if you need any bunny supplies, take your funds as you can get just about anything you need :cheesysmile: SOP = $25.00

And, if you are making your own travel cages, you want to be sure there is enough room for the rabbit to lay down as they will stay in the showroom overnight. And, sad as it is, you will need to lock or secure your cages while you are not there ... the lady that mentored me through my first show mentioned "sneak breedings" ... and we just used little zipties.

Anne, it means that pre-juniors are there strictly to get a judge's opinion and nothing else. The judge can place them, but they do not qualify for sweeps points and are not eligible for BOB, BOS, BOV, or BOSV placements.

I remember when our local shows had to begin stating that in their catalogs years ago. The loophole had been left open long enough, then one of the most crooked exhibitors in the world ran a pre-junior across a table in front of a judge with an agenda, who picked it as BIS.

Looking for suggestions of hotels in Longview? Any particular places to stay away from? Last time I was there I camped in a tent but it was in the early spring, not summer.<br /><br />__________ Mon May 27, 2013 6:10 pm __________<br /><br />Looking for suggestions of hotels in Longview? Any particular places to stay away from? Last time I was there I camped in a tent but it was in the early spring, not summer.

Really wanted to go to this show, but many things working against me. My stock is either molting, bred, or in between jr/sr weights... So we are setting it out until the fall/winter when I have some JRs of my own to show :D

Back