Little Pips - Injured, possibly very badly, possibly not.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just reading something recently that when their stomach hurts they will press it on the ground - similar in looks to the stretching he was doing... So glad he is improving! Here's hoping the worst is behind him (and you)!

Thank you everyone!! I cannot tell you how relieved I was to see his bright little face peaking through the carrier door, I had put off going into the room for a little bit after I got home because I was just so worried. Schrodinger's cat and all that, if I don't see him then he can't be worse! Like I mentioned he's still doing a few stretching motions and is still grinding his teeth but both of which he is doing less than yesterday and he's definitely eating more. I cannot BELIEVE he survived, he got incredibly lucky.

FourRingCircus":2rpmrjga said:
I was just reading something recently that when their stomach hurts they will press it on the ground - similar in looks to the stretching he was doing... So glad he is improving! Here's hoping the worst is behind him (and you)!
Where were you reading this? Link share? It does sound exactly like what he's been doing! I also wonder if that's part of why he likes my warm lap so much. You know when you're cramping really badly how a hot water bottle will lessen the pain? I think I might be that hot water bottle with my body heat on his stomach.

Nymphadora":2rpmrjga said:
I so enjoy seeing his cute little face in your posts.
He's such a little cutie pie...
Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 5.41.45 PM.jpg

My husband made the comment about us keeping Della Rose and Pips and I when I raised an eye brow at him he casually commented, "I just assumed we were going to keep him if he lived, the way you were crying over him so much." Men, powerless to our tears. :lol: The plan is NOT to keep Pips, however I won't be looking for him a new home for at least a month (probably two), I need to make sure he is healthy and healed before I let him go anywhere.

Hey, thanks a lot guys for all your help with the suggestions and the moral support. When I first made this account I wasn't planning on sticking around. I had one question and then I was going to disappear, lol, I suppose I hadn't counted on how awesome y'all would be. :oops:

Hey, thanks a lot guys for all your help with the suggestions and the moral support. When I first made this account I wasn't planning on sticking around. I had one question and then I was going to disappear, lol, I suppose I hadn't counted on how awesome y'all would be. :oops:

Probably the same thing for everyone who joined ^^ . It's just nice to have people to talk to about our rabbits isnt it? My dad and his girlfriend certainly get sick of earing me talk about mine so much XD

2CrazyFools":18jbio54 said:
He's such a little cutie pie...
Yes he is! That was a very cute shot of him, too. :oops:

2CrazyFools":18jbio54 said:
"I just assumed we were going to keep him if he lived, the way you were crying over him so much." Men, powerless to our tears. :lol:
Good man, mine would probably do the same. :lol: It's a good thing we show restraint, eh? ;)

2CrazyFools":1t4u9dtu said:
FourRingCircus":1t4u9dtu said:
Where were you reading this? Link share? It does sound exactly like what he's been doing! I also wonder if that's part of why he likes my warm lap so much. You know when you're cramping really badly how a hot water bottle will lessen the pain? I think I might be that hot water bottle with my body heat on his stomach.

It was a Pinterest thing that popped up randomly, and I actually was able to find it again!

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/857091372804154595/

KimitsuKouseki":2bnbc2xn said:

Probably the same thing for everyone who joined ^^ . It's just nice to have people to talk to about our rabbits isnt it?

It sure is! I normally rely on the backyard meat rabbit facebook group for questions but I left facebook back in January for my college semester (it was going to be a heavy load and I didn't need any of my time sucked into the FBookMonster) and I had to turn to forums. The semester is over now and I succeeded in making As in all my classes so I'm ready to open my facebook back up but... I sort of don't want to. So much drama on there it's tempting to stay absent. Y'all are way cooler :D

Nymphadora":2bnbc2xn said:
Good man, mine would probably do the same. It's a good thing we show restraint, eh?
Yes ma'am! I simply don't have the space for him if I decided to keep him. I've got three large doe cages, and two smaller buck cages right now. That means I only have space for one more buck and one more doe but I'm planning on getting FOUR more rabbits (rex, one buck three does) so I already need to build one more hutch to fit two cages (that I need to build as well.) So if I keep Pips I'm really screwed and would probably need to reduce the number of rex I'm planning on purchasing. :x It's such a pain trying to juggle your heart and your head, and as an individual I lean very heavily towards the analytical logical side of things. Probably why I'm loving engineering classes so much....

So we'll see who wins out here, Pips is very dear to me but I'd be incredibly happy if he found a great home like Louie has. (Louie is going to a pet home this saturday, lady on disability who had a room dedicated to her pet rabbits! He lucked out.)
FourRingCircus":2bnbc2xn said:
It was a Pinterest thing that popped up randomly, and I actually was able to find it again!

Thanks so much FourRingCircus!! That's a handy infographic!

Pips is pretty much the same this morning, gnashing his teeth but with minimal belly pressing. I fed him some dandelion, prickly lettuce and then some Sowthistle, my goodness those rabbits love that weed. He wouldn't eat anything else after that and kept looking for more Sowthistle. "Two leaves? That's IT?" Spoiled brat.

I think I've noticed a trend, he's not his best in the morning. It always seems like he shows he's feeling better after noon/1pm, so I'm hoping for improvement later today. My husband is worried that he's still in pain today and doesn't want to continue his suffering just for us, but I told him I'd probably still be in pain 4 days after I was crunched by a giant dog too.... Who am I to say he shouldn't still be hurting today? He can hop around, he can certainly eat, drink, and pee. I changed his bedding this morning so we should be able to see how much he is defecating in these next few hours, but I do feel he has been much better yesterday and today.

A good pet home would be the best solution for Pips. Or . . . he could be your house bunny! :lol:

(I'm sorry, I really shouldn't kid you so much about keeping him. :oops: I once raised a tiny runt - the only agouti that ever turned up in one of my rabbits' litters - and by the time they were ready for camp, he was the largest. He was smart. If the others went after the greens, he chowed down on the grain. When they turned to the grain, he went for the greens . . . There were always plenty of those. I was very tempted to keep him -- he was a sweetie -- but I hardened my heart and sent him to camp anyway. Hated to do it, but I didn't need another buck.)

Any luck getting Pips to eat some willow along with his other weeds? It would likely make him a lot more comfortable and it's good for him too - high in protein.

Unfortunately no, he really has no interest in the willow be it the leaves or the bark. I'm just glad he's taken to the prickly lettuce really well, at least there's that. I may go for a walk this evening and pick up some more fresh stuff and give that a shot, I actually found a willow tree that I don't have to traipse through snake valley for! If he declines it again the other buns would be happy to have it.

You kid about the whole house bunny thing but I literally just inquired about a two story rabbit indoor rabbit hutch I found on CL... it's probably gone already (posted 20 days ago) but man, it's a great deal and at the very least it would be perfect for an indoor quarantine hutch for cases like this. (Or... you know... house bunnies..........)

EDIT: She still has the hutch. Looks like I'm getting it! :D

Well I just pulled Pips out and set him on the floor next to the fresh harvested willow and he's munching away! I suppose it helps he doesn't have any sowthistle to tempt him away from it :lol: He's really enjoying the leaves.

I'd like to think I'm not weakening and this is just a great deal for an indoor quarantine pen but... I guess time will tell! :D

He's certainly not out of the woods yet but I feel very optimistic about his chances.

2CrazyFools":3vlbenii said:
I'd like to think I'm not weakening and this is just a great deal for an indoor quarantine pen but... I guess time will tell! :D
:roll: :lol:

Hope the willow is making Pip more comfortable, as well. :oops:

MaggieJ":3u9xy0z4 said:
How's Little Pips doing? :lilbunny:

Spoiled. Rotten.
Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 8.26.41 PM.png

This picture he almost "flopped" himself right off the side!
Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 8.26.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 8.26.15 PM.png

"Are you going to take me inside yet? This outside stuff is for the birds.. and Della."
Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 8.27.17 PM.png

He's slowly gotten a little bit better, I'd say he's about 90% well. The 10%? His insides are still worrying me. He continues to have whimpy poo and while I do feel they have gotten bigger and a more round, they are still probably half the size they should be. He has a very good appetite, eating oats, greens, hay, and even some pellets. I've been putting him out with his sister during the daytime so they can have each other's company and the fresh air and space should do him some good. I've definitely seen him eating her pellets after he's been out there a bit. I put them both on the ground to hop about while I swept up the mulberries (made 100% sure the dogs were in the house and the gate was latched) and he hopped around a little and chewed on a few berries while Della raced about like a lunatic.

He's still gritting his teeth some, but it's less than before and I only notice it when he's laying on my belly. Which he does every night, lol. He'll run around the room a bit, eat some, sniff some, and then hop up onto my tummy to snooze. One time I wasn't paying attention to him, and he runs around in front of me and does a pretty magnificent flop. "Was I not petting you? My bad." Gosh he's adorable.

Petting his stomach you can feel bulges and while I don't normally massage bunny bellies, it doesn't feel exactly right. I tried giving him some pineapple and he thought that was a disgusting idea. I might try a little pumpkin and see.

Oh! I got the indoor hutch :lol:
I'll be deep cleaning and disinfecting it tomorrow morning, and probably applying a fresh coat of paint.
Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 8.27.26 PM.png

Well done, Pips! Keep on being adorable and maybe you'll get that spiffy new house -- indoors!

I've read that rabbits do two kinds of tooth grinding. One is the distress grinding (most common, I think) while the other is a sign of contentment. Sort of like with cats only reversed: cats purr out of contentment, usually, but they also will purr as a kind of self-comforting when in distress. I hope that is not as confusing as I think it might be . . .

It might have been on this website I saw that . . . sorry, I really can't remember. But if you haven't visited there, you should give it a read when you have the time. It tells us a great deal about rabbit communication -- and how to communicate back to them.
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

Alice was one to do the grind from contentment, and I don't think this is that (yet.) One of the main reasons I don't think it's that is because he was grinding a lot after the incident, and it's been getting (slowly) less and less, and I feel we are still in the uncomfortable stage perhaps due to digesting while bruised. I'm still hoping that's all thats wrong. I should weigh him this evening when I check on him and see if he's holding or gaining any weight.

MaggieJ":1iqonqle said:
It might have been on this website I saw that . . . sorry, I really can't remember. But if you haven't visited there, you should give it a read when you have the time. It tells us a great deal about rabbit communication -- and how to communicate back to them.
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

I found that website to be mildly ridiculous.... but strangely accurate :lol: I read it awhile back and Alice has displayed many of what they mention on that website. Diva queen. Good suggestion! <br /><br /> -- Mon May 15, 2017 10:02 pm -- <br /><br /> Weighed him, he gained!!

He was 12oz - something (I think 12.4) a few days ago and this evening he's 13.1oz! :D

I think it's safe to say he's out of the woods.

Check out Pip's Palace- *ahem* I meant, "the indoor quarantine hutch." :cool:

DSC00540.jpg
DSC00537.jpg

The blue turned out WAY darker and more rich than I had thought it would be, I thought it'd be a dustier, earthy blue but oh well. It matches well with the rough tread on the roof and inside ramp. I did a deep scrubbing with Dawn dish soap and water, then spritzed it down with a bleach solution, let that sit for about 5-10 minutes then rinsed that off. Then I went to town with the spray paint. :lol:

Now the 24 hour wait for it to dry and cure fully, and air out a good bit. Hate to stick a bunny in to be suffocated by the fumes still wafting off the paint...

But isn't it perdy?!

So I'm going to weigh Pips again this evening, but Tuesday he was only 12.5 oz, and this morning he was 12.1 oz. I truly don't think he's losing weight, I think a lot of this has to do with full belly or not, but still... he's not actively gaining like I was hoping. Cross your fingers he's got a full belly this evening and has put on a little. I'm good with ups and downs if the overall trend looks positive...

Back