Little Pips - Injured, possibly very badly, possibly not.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got home and the Good news: He's eating much easier! :D

Bad news: I do think there is something wrong inside, something is kinked perhaps. I initially noticed he was prone to stretching and then dedicating, and now after he ate some greens he's really stretching out and trying to get comfortable. From the top you can see how thin he's gotten near his backbone, but his belly is full. I've been trying to massage his lower midsection a bit to try and unkink anything that's kinked :(

Did you mean he stretches and then defecates? Dratted auto-correct.

It could be that his innards are bruised and it hurts to poop. (Wonder what auto-correct would do with that?) Are you hearing the excess gurgling etc. that you noticed at first? If he seems bloated, massage can help, also exercise. If you can get some infant gas drops -- simethicone -- that might also help expel any excess gas.

Some probiotics or electrolytes might not hurt either.

If he's eating better, I'd offer all the items that you usually give him. That way he can get back to his normal diet sooner.

Thanks Auto Correct. Yes, defecting. EDIT: AURGH! Defecating. Not defecting, or dedicating. :x

I heard a little gurgling, but not as much as I had heard at first yesterday that was concerning. I actually did give him some simethicone, I have about half a bottle left over from the bloat incident when they were itty bitty, so I thought it couldn't hurt and of course he loves that stuff. First ingredient is glucose so no wonder! I've been trying to get him to exercise a bit by placing him down and then going and sitting on the other side of the room, making him run over to me to jump on my lap. I compared the size of the poo he's succeeded in passing and it's about half or a third the size of normal.

This evening I went back in to see him and he didn't bother coming out of the carrier, instead just stretched and acknowledged my presence. I'm hoping everything is fine and he's just tired... I guess we'll see in the morning. I will say he definitely hasn't been acting worse today than yesterday, and he came out to beg for my lap about an hour ago.

So he's not better. Maybe a little worse... maybe the same. My optimism is declining swiftly. I pulled him out with the other kits to run around in the exercise yard a bit and he did a little, but mainly looked for my lap so he could hibernate some more. My guess is he's not able to really digest anything, so he's not getting energy from the food and that is why he's slowly losing the will to move around. He's still drinking water and peeing, defecating a little.

Here's a few examples of the stretching he's been doing.
Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 10.19.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 10.18.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 10.18.52 AM.png

And now Pips compared to Lady G.
Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 10.49.45 AM.png

If he shows a very obvious decline tomorrow evening I will probably end up releasing him from pain. :( He hasn't willingly hopped out of his carrier for me at all today and he is starting to noticeably grit his teeth.

I wish him the best but this is a bit painful for me to read, reminds me of ETbunny a bit too much.

Oh Pips... "Momma's eyes are too dry, I need to do something to show how comfortable I am being on her lap... a flop should work nicely. Ah, there are the waterworks!" :cry:
IMG_2098.jpg
IMG_2102.jpg

I've got a huge comprehensive final in one of my engineering classes tomorrow morning at 8am, so I've been hitting the books today. Therefore I've been sitting just about every minute in with Pips on the floor, petting him and reading my notes. I am happy to say, I do NOT think he got worse today. After lunch I went in there with my supplies and he hopped up to the carrier gate like normal and when I opened it, right up into my lap.

He has been eating a small amount (oats only, doesn't want anything to do with the pellets) and drinking. Definitely peeing well but defecating is still minimal. But minimal is better than not at all! Lots of uncomfortable stretching going on my lap, quite a bit of teeth gnashing at times, but he's been able to fall into a sleep on my lap. One time after hopping down for some food and water, he came back up and instead of stretching out he did a lovely flop on my lap and enjoyed a belly massage, no teeth gnashing.

So I'm still crossing my fingers for internal bruising and not something more serious. Keep up your prayers Galadriel, it sure seems to be helping!

KimitsuKouseki":r5vc2lsj said:
I wish him the best but this is a bit painful for me to read, reminds me of ETbunny a bit too much.
Thank you Kimitsu, I agree, I have also thought of your ETbunny through this. :(

MaggieJ":r5vc2lsj said:
His eyes are still bright though.

Yes, his eyes have been still bright through most of it, he's definitely still in there! Especially how he acted this afternoon with me. Still concerning, but not worse like I had started to suspect earlier.
Thank you for the links MaggieJ! I'll bookmark those right now.

Thank you Kimitsu, I agree, I have also thought of your ETbunny through this. :(
I'm glad to know he's doing ok today. Pips and ETbunny had different initial issues and I rly hope they'll have different ends also.
They rly do feel alike though. They love attention just as much and ET was also a black bunny. Hopefully ETbunny will watch over yours in spirit and make sure he hangs on to his precious life.

Atta boy, Pips! :lilbunny: Glad you're feeling well enough for "flops". And give the greens a try . . . If Momma chops them for you, maybe you can manage a bit. Gotta keep that gut movin', y'know.

Good luck on your final tomorrow morning, Crazy! :good-luck:

Oh my gosh, HE'S BETTER!!! :cheer2: he's not 100% but if he was 60-70% before, he's about 80-85% now!

This morning he was the same, not really noticeably better but thankfully not worse. When I sat down this afternoon he not only came to the gate, he hopped up to put his paws on it like, "Hey! Open up!" Then when I let him out and he started chewing on some of the prickly lettuce I had gathered for him I noticed he ate a good bit of both the fresh greens I had put in their this morning (dandelion, chickweed, mulberry) and the oats!

Upon closer investigation he even LOOKS better overall, still thin, but not emaciated. He didn't look hollowed out or starving when viewed from above like he did yesterday, and when he hopped around a bit and finally into my lap he only did ONE weird stretchy motion and minimal teeth gnashing.

:bouncy: Guys, I think he's going to be okay!

Also, I think I aced my final this morning ^_^ it's a good day.

:cheer1: :cheer2: :cheer1: :cheer2:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Good job on your exam! And I am so relieved to hear little Pip is making progress again!

:mbounce:
I so enjoy seeing his cute little face in your posts. :in_love:

Back